Orphans for Orphans sweater issue

PBLKNP

Okay, I have sort of a strange dilemma...I've posted this everywhere else, so I figure why not here? :think

I knitting a baby sweater (the Orphans for Orphans sweater from the book Knitting for Peace) that consists of a front and back panel that one knits in stockinette. You pick up the side/sleeves and knit out horizontally. You then sew the sleeves together. No problem with any of this.

My problem is with the collar. You're supposed to crochet (sc) a row and reverse single crochet a row around the neck. I did the first row and the stockette front and back panels are STILL curling like mad--which looks awful.

Should I a) perhaps crochet the sc stitches from the INSIDE of the sweater rather than from the outside? Or, b) should I just give up and do a ribbing pattern or some garter stitch rows instead?

definitely try the sc then reverse sc...

but if that till doesn't work I would use ribbing on the bottom and slip the 1st stitch of each row if you make it again which helps with the curling.

My grandmother does 'her' version of the www.knitforkids.org sweater which is just ribbing and stockinette, but slipping the first stitch really makes the stockinette lie much more flat.

I just knitted a baby sweater with the exact same problem. It called for just one row of sc around the bottom edge and neck edge. I did the sc on the right side and it still curls, so I'm wondering whether to pull it out and sc on the wrong side. I'm not sure it will make that much difference.

You try it and let me know how it works out! LOL

I've been Googling this, and it looks like I'm not the only one with the issue...

Some people have done ribbing, some 6 rows of garter stitch, and one did one row of sc, then picked up and did a row of k and p.

I might try to persevere with the reverse sc, but I'm not quite sure how to do it. Is there a good tutorial out there for that?

I've been Googling this, and it looks like I'm not the only one with the issue...

Some people have done ribbing, some 6 rows of garter stitch, and one did one row of sc, then picked up and did a row of k and p.

Even though I'm not making the exact same pattern, I have the same problem with a similar pattern. What a stupid way to finish off a stockinette edge anyway, ya know what I mean? You might as well just do a rolled edge.....

Whenever I do the rsc, I get myself tangled up. so I do a modified version that looks very similar. I do a sc and leaving the hook in the loop, I twist the whole project clockwise then sc in the next stitch. Obviously, this is easier on small projects, but it works for me.

Well, I finally decided to go with the 1" of ribbing. I finally got the hang of the reverse sc, but even so, the edge still flopped over and looked horrible. I'm hoping to finish it today, so we'll see how the ribbing comes out.

FYI...the only other pain about this pattern is the fact that you end up with a TON of ends to weave in. I can hardly wait...

FYI...the only other pain about this pattern is the fact that you end up with a TON of ends to weave in. I can hardly wait...

Yup! It's ever so much fun. o.O

:cheer You can do it! just one end at a time! Woohoo! :cheer

pssst... I'm your cheerleader

• 3 weeks later...

An update...

I got the sweater all done. It took me an entire evening to weave in all the ends. The good news is that the girl I knit it for just LOVES it!

Next time, I'm going with an in-the-round pattern :lol.

Archived