Thick, No-Sew Potholder - Free Pattern

Selune

th_IMG_0207.jpg

I'm sure I'm not the first person to do this stitch, but when I couldn't find a pattern for a double thick potholder that I didn't have to sew (because I hate sewing), I made this one up. My first try ended up with a double thick potholder, but the sides weren't worked together, you could balloon them apart. This one works both sides together to create a super-thick fabric. I love the color pooling!! Hope someone finds this useful. :)

Thick, No-Sew Potholder

See Pattern Notes below.
Yarn: worsted weight cotton (I used both Sugar n Cream and Peaches n Cream)
Hook: G
Gauge: not necessary

Ch 25.
Row 1: Sc in second chain from hook and in each chain across (24).
Row 2: Ch 1, turn. Sc across using back loop of previous row and unused loop of foundation chain.
Row 3: Ch 1, turn. Sc across using back loop of previous row and unused loop of second row down.
Rows 4-40 (or enough to make it one row short of square): Repeat Row 3.
Row 41 (last row): Ch 1, turn. Sc across using both loops of previous row and unused loop of second row down (you will be single crocheting using three loops). Break off yarn and weave in ends.

Pattern Notes:

• Gauge is not necessary as length and width are easily changeable. Just start with a chain as wide as you want, and make it as long as you want. If you want it to be square, just keep testing by folding it into a triangle to see how many more rows you need to do.
  • Keep in mind with size that cotton will shrink the stitches up and create a more compact potholder (which I love). If giving as a gift, I'd leave unwashed. If keeping for yourself, wash in hot water and dry on high heat. This will shrink it up nicely.
  • Keep track of stitch count on first few rows, as it's a little hard to find the first and last stitches sometimes.
  • You'll be doing about 40 rows, but when counting, it will look like only 20 on each side).

Updated 5/25/13 to fix broken picture link. Sorry about that.

That's really cool! Thanks for the pattern. :cheer I'll have to make some... as if I don't already have enough projects to crochet, knit and quilt, ha ha!!!

I tried making a pair of slippers using that "stitch" once, too. I was trying to convert this pattern to crochet, just to see if it could be done. I didn't finish the first one (ripped it out), so I never did find out if it would work, ha ha. I remember wondering if there were any other patterns out there using that method, just like you did!

Thank you!!! I have tried so many potholder patterns but I really don't like to seam them either. And many end up still having holes in them and I really don't like to get burned, lol.

I just used your pattern and made a cute pink and cocoa potholder and I love it! It's thick and useful and I can't wait to make more, for me and for my sister (her potholders are falling apart, lol).

And MainelyCrafty, that is such a great idea for using this stitch for slippers. I'm going to fool around with that too :)

Thank you again.

And MainelyCrafty, that is such a great idea for using this stitch for slippers. I'm going to fool around with that too

Maybe between the two of us, we can come up with something, huh? ;)

I'm going to make some of these potholders for Christmas, and then after the holidays I'll give the slippers another try. Please let me know if you work up any slipper ideas, ok? Slippers are something I love to make a lot of and of course, give a lot of! I just think this "stitch" would make a great pair, just as the potholders are sturdy.

Again, great pattern Selune, thanks!

I'm glad some people found it useful. :) I've been making tons of them for gifts, too. They are just so practical, plus they aren't so fancy that people won't use them.

I just wanted to say thank you again. I have made 4. Two using one strand, and two using 2 strands together and using an N hook. The ones using 2 strands together work up SO fast, in about an hour. I'm planning on making large hotpads using this stitch to match that will fit under my 9x13" pans.

Oh, when using the N hook and two strands, I chained 15, and then did 24 rows total. They aren't as smooth or dense, but they look really homey and cute.

:cheer:clap:hug:yay Thank you so much for sharing your pattern. I am going to have to make some of these, as yours look fantastic!!!

I just wanted to say thank you again. I have made 4. Two using one strand, and two using 2 strands together and using an N hook. The ones using 2 strands together work up SO fast, in about an hour. I'm planning on making large hotpads using this stitch to match that will fit under my 9x13" pans.

Oh, when using the N hook and two strands, I chained 15, and then did 24 rows total. They aren't as smooth or dense, but they look really homey and cute.

Great idea!!! Thanks for sharing your modifications. I really need to make some also for my 9"x13" pans, instead of using 2 of the smaller ones.

I suppose some yarns may fade out. It depends on the colorfastness of the dye used with your particular brand of yarn. Plus, some colors fade more quickly than others. It's really just a suggestion to firm up the yarn and create a tighter end result. For all practical purposes, I tend not to really care what color my potholders are as long as they are functional. :)

That's a good idea, especially since it's hard to find hotpads that fully sit under a large baking pan.

• 3 months later...

This is the same stitch that makes the double sided afghans......use color A for one row, use coler B on the next row and back to color A on the third row....by useing the same color on the same side of the pot holder (or blanket) you get the two tone effect.

This is the same stitch that makes the double sided afghans......use color A for one row, use coler B on the next row and back to color A on the third row....by useing the same color on the same side of the pot holder (or blanket) you get the two tone effect.

How does that work? Do you have to cut and reattach the colors at the end of each row? If so, that's way more ends than I want to mess with.

If you go down and back with one color then pick up the other one, will you get stripes?

thanks

This technique does work best as a blanket....and the ends are left loose to form fringe on either end of the blanket.... here is the link

http://www.sarahanns.com/crochetworks/afgan.html

surely this fringe idea would not work well with a pot holder.......but you could make place mats or a kitchen rug useing the same technique and cotton yarn. Of course you could work over the little tails at the beginning of each row of the pot holders;). Yes, the way you describe will produce stripes......one side of your pot holder will start with a white stripe (for example), and the other side will start with a black stripe.

• 1 year later...

Archived