giving back to the troops

notwprintcess

I wanted to give back to the military so have Operation Heartwarming as my outlet. Any handmade gifts are completely appreciated and can be ANYTHING you think a soldier and his/her family would enjoy or need. This is not limited to special needs, but can be just a way to say thank you and put a smile on someone's face! You can click on the OH name above or visit my homepage.

Depending on what bases/posts you are planning to support, you may want to contact that base/posts Family Support Center for help. They can tell you what the local families need. I remember when my son was born (on an AF base of course), I received a lovely blue crocheted blanket. Many bases have organizations lined up, but they always need help! The military also has a program similiar to the civilian sector for foster children...meaning if a child is taken from a military member they are placed in emergency placement care..maybe they could use blankets or other items? Or maybe the Fisher House?

I don't know..I read your site and the fact you want to help military families is wonderful. But I'm not sure looking for "hurt or broken" families is the best way. Just my opinion as a military spouse. We don't advertise issues like that. If there is a problem, it's handled within our military family is possible.

Donna

No, no I don't want it to be just for that (and that sort of thing would be more of a word of mouth thing... anonymously & discreetly handled via another military family link I have anyway)!!

I've been in the Air Force so I understand what you're saying. I wanted a charity that is NOT just for the hurting and "needy" - there are already a lot of groups like that... however, I would love to see all kinds of gifts that are really just saying "Thank you" no matter what the soldier or family's circumstances.

I like the idea of an all-encompassing charity because we all of us need a smile and to know we're appreciated; and most ppl appreciate the thought and time put into a homemade and heartfelt gift. I'm especially grateful to the military and just trying to give back just because we can.

I can look into going thru the family support units locally as well, if necessary. Thanks :)

Archived