Rescuing/Restoring Old thread?

Lisaizme

I found a ball of old thread (with a brittle yellowed typed up pattern inside.. wow) and would like to use it, but the thread is very slightly yellowed on one end of the ball.

I have no real idea what it is, I'm pretty sure it's size 10 and probably knit-crosheen, since that what the pattern that was inside called for.

Does anyone know if washing or gentle bleaching would remove the yellow?

Could it be done while the thread is still on the ball versus making something up and then have all my work go to waste because the yellow wouldn't come out.

Ideas, suggestions please

Why not try the Tide pen? That would give you a quick assessment of whether the stain would go away.

I used Biz once to wash a 30 year old tablecloth that had yellowed slightly. I needed to replace one of the motifs which was bright bright white in comparison. Sloaking in Biz removed the yellowing.

The Tide pen sounds like a good idea. Or hydrogen peroxide. I soaked an old doily in hydrogen peroxide for a couple of days. The yellows went back to white and the fibers are just fine.

I would advise against bleaching. It weakens the fibers.

I would do a test swatch and try cleaning it first. Also test the thread to see if it has started to break down. If it breaks when tugged on it is breaking down and don't waste your time with it. If you can tug firmly on it with it breaking then you are good to go as long as you can remove the yellow.

The yellowing is most likely the result of acid in the cardboard spool, but I have also noted that some of my older doilies have yellowed with constant use.

I have had pretty good luck with Oxyclean to brighten them up. My best results were with the spray on version. (The powdered version did not work for me at all.) I saturated them with the spray, let them sit for ten minutes then placed them in cool water to soak. I came back later and rinced them out then re-blocked. Most showed a remarkable improvement; even several vintage pieces looked brighter. I can't promise it will get all the yellow out, but it should help.

Another good product is Fels-Naptha heavy duty laundry soap. Martha Stewart recommended it years ago and it has heped me get age spots out of old linens. Might be worth a try.

Archived