Square request for animal shelter.

chichiwawa

Hi ladies (& gents), I usually don't do this but I really need your help. There is a no kill animal shelter near me that needs help. They take in alot of bigger dogs (mainly pit bulls, poor babies). They have asked for dog sweaters. My step sister and I offered to make some to which they were overjoyed. The pattern that we are using is simple, it just calls for alot of granny squares. The shelter has approx. 40-45 dogs that stay there, since no one has adopted them. With the pattern that we are using, we need about 700 squares to make coats for all of them. We have 60 so far but a long way to go. If you could find it in your hearts to send some squares my way I would be so grateful. The pattern is simple, it's just the first 4 rounds of a granny square with a H hook & worsted yarn. If you are able to help, just pm me and I'll give you my addy.Thanks guys.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Approximately what size do you want? I crochet loosely and my 4 rounds may be a bit bigger than someone else's-- or does it not matter too much?

I'll PM you for your addy.

You guys are all so wonderful. Here's some "guidelines" that might help.

I'm using an h hook & my squares are coming out to 5 inches. So whatever hook gets you that gauge works for me.

It doesn't matter if you tuck your ends in or not, I don't mind doing this if you want to leave a tail.

A medium coat takes about 20-22 squares & a large one takes about 25-30squares.

I don't have a specific timeline, so don't worry if you can't get them out until after the holidays. I know how busy everyone is. I'm just grateful for the help.

Thank you all so much for responding. :hug

I have a bag of 24 (4") squares.

Would you like them? I know they are an inch small... but maybe for a smaller dog or with using all 24 you might be able to create a coat to fit.

whatcha think?

:heart

:mug

I found a bag of granny squares. they are brown in the middle and yellow around. I am not sure what size they are but you are welcome to have them all since i will not use them and I would rather someone put them to good use. I will send you a pm.

I got a number of 5" granny squares in an estate stash I was given. I was going to frog them because the person who made them tended to knot and cut the ends rather than weaving in. In light of that, would you want them?

-Marzee

Stashbusting CAL: WTD: +1/YTD: +22

Gold medal for Stashbusting: 11/09/08/Silver medal for Stashbusting: 08/24/08

Shoot the Moon (-5) 11/02/08

TeamVJGC

Hello Chichiwawa!

Just a heads up to let you know that yesterday I sent out the 5" squares from the estate stash I mentioned back on the 9th. The small box was sent 1st class, so should arrive pretty soon.

Maybe after the first of the year I can make some myself.

-Marzee

Stashbusting CAL: WTD: +3/YTD: +24

Gold medal for Stashbusting: 11/09/08/Silver medal for Stashbusting: 08/24/08

Shoot the Moon (-5) 11/02/08

TeamVJGC

Marzee- I got your package yesterday. Thank you so much. The squares will fit in very nicely with all of the others we have so far. After the holidays we are going to start putting some of the sweaters together. I will post pics as we get them done. Thank you ladies again. You're all so wonderful. :hug

Niffynurl- I got your package the other day. Thank you so much. I love the bonbon print! I've got some squares that are just turquoise and some that are hot pink so they will all look good together. Can I just say again that all of you ladies have been such a big help. My sisters of the hook, I thank you. :hug :hug

I made 5 squares last night, and will make more in the next week or so. I sent a PM asking for the address to send them next week. I like having something easy and simple to do!

BTW, I have a ton of WW cotton yarn. Do you only want acrylic, or would cotton be okay too? I can send enough of the cotton squares to make at least 1 full jacket.

I've already started working on some squares for you; please send your address for me. The first color I picked up was pink, hope the lady dogs will appreciate it, LOL. I have made a couple of tiny coats for my sister's tiny chihuahuas, they weigh less than 2 lbs each, a big difference in the dogs you are making coats for. Thanks for what you are doing. bjrjames@yahoo.com

Barbara

I just pm'd you. I would love to make some squares for these poor furbabies!. I have a huge stack of 8" squares also. They are yours if you can use them. Just let me know. They are pink and white

Lynn

Archived