2009 Stashbusting CAL

basjordan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to join for 2009 too! I didn't realize quite how much stash I had until I had to pack it all up to move. My DH was less than thrilled when he found out how many boxes were just filled with yarn. :lol

I will likely join because my stash is seriously overflowing, but I have a question. What if you need more yarn to finish the project? For instance, I'm planning on using leftover Homespun to make a Rambling Rows afghan. What if I have to buy 2-3 skeins to finish it to adult size? How would that be counted?

I will likely join because my stash is seriously overflowing, but I have a question. What if you need more yarn to finish the project? For instance, I'm planning on using leftover Homespun to make a Rambling Rows afghan. What if I have to buy 2-3 skeins to finish it to adult size? How would that be counted?

Each skein you add in is a minus 2 on your score. You would be going deeper in the hole. However, if you are using it to finish the ghan then you will also get the plus 2 right away as it is used. it is a zero sum game but the numbers have to go through the machine all the same.

you quickly learn the smilie for blushing :-b-l-u-s-h :blush

:wlol

I have a question also. How do we count... or do we count... if we give some of our stash away? I know it counts if we are given yarn... but what if we gift some to someone else? My daughter will often use yarn from my stash, and I often give my leftover half skeins and scraps to a friend who has a very limited yarn budget...

I have a question also. How do we count... or do we count... if we give some of our stash away? I know it counts if we are given yarn... but what if we gift some to someone else? My daughter will often use yarn from my stash, and I often give my leftover half skeins and scraps to a friend who has a very limited yarn budget...

Any time yarn leaves your stash, you get a positive score. If your daughter uses a skein, it's +2. For every ball of yarn you gift to your friend, you get +1.

Any time yarn leaves your stash, you get a positive score. If your daughter uses a skein, it's +2. For every ball of yarn you gift to your friend, you get +1.

Woohoo, thank you Beth! That's awesome! I don't even have to crochet and I earn points! LOL :clap

Oh, dear, I should join this, too. I did it 2007, and while I ended with a minus score, it wasn't huge. I was too busy in 2008 to keep track. But my mom is visiting for the holidays and buying yarn to keep herself busy, which means the leftover balls will stay behind when she leaves, adding to the huge yarn sprawl in my home. Plus I've been wanting to make myself a quilt-like aghan, and I've had the yarn for years... This may be the incentive I need to get cracking on it and some WIPs that're hanging around.

Patty

Oh Boy - I am going through all my yarn and making an inventory of just how much of a stash I have. Holy COW! I have too much yarn (can I say that here?? :eek ) I plan to start the year knowing exactly how much yarn I have and I will make a New Year's Resolution to finish 2009 with less stash that I start with (I can dream can't I :lol ). I know we don't count what we have on hand and I am just doing this to satisfy my own morbid curiousity :D I will be starting at zero on January 1st and will add (hopefully) or subract as I use or add to my existing stash. I am also figuring out just what WIPs have been hidden away and haven't seen the light of day in a long time (I need to dicide to finish or frog some stuff...)

Just because I apparently have too much time on my hands... I counted all my yarn and I have 157 full or nearly full skeins (haven’t been rolled yet into a ball) and 44 balls… Heaven help me :blush

:hug Don't feel bad econ-nerd, you should see my stash! I haven't counted in a while.. but the last time I counted it was well over 500 skeins. I'm hoping to cut that in half this year, but I think a more realistic goal might be 25% because I know I won't be able to refrain from yarn shopping for an entire year! LOL

I am definitely in on this one. I did give away a bunch of RH to some kids I taught to crochet last spring, but it certainly did not make up for what I bought. Let's see, if I stash-bust on the scarves CAL and the weight-loss CAL, it'll be two birds with one stone.

Okay, I'm in! :yay My stash grew quite a bit during the second half of 2008. Plus, money's really tight right now so I'm planning on using what I have & staying away from yarn aisles!

My daughter gave me a gift card for Christmas to Joanns, though... :blush Should I use it before the new year? :hook I can't decide! I could add to my stash now, and increase my score for 2009! :devil

I am really looking forward to weaning this stash even though I bought some today. I want to do a fabulous afghan for my aunt this year but it will now have to be a stash buster :think

I can't wait for that fresh start on Jan 1st :dreaming

I am in for 2009. This was a real motivator for me in 2008, but vacation happened and I got out of the habit of posting. However, it wasn't until the end of the year that I started getting into the yarn buying habit again. Can't wait to start again!

Archived