2009 Stashbusting CAL

basjordan

Had a dental appointment this morning and was within two blocks of both Michael's and JoAnne's. Didn't go to either. Then on the way home I stopped at a smaller craft store that I like. Nothing on sale that appealed to me. Saw a couple new colors that I liked but I resisted. I'm so proud of myself. :clap :clap :clap

totally, maximally wonderful for you!!!!

:cheer:cheer:cheer

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finished off the first skein of yarn on my new afghan today and started on the second one!

+2 for today! :clap

I finally finished the poncho i was working on. i used up 3 full skeins and i made a ball out of the half one that i used so that should be +7. this is fun.

I just found a way to use up the random balls of Sugar'n Cream yarn I have lying around! Crochet Sponges I have four of these down and I think I can still get one more out of that tiny ball.... ARG!!! That ball never ends. Oh Well, at least I have it 3/4ths of the way down.

oooohhh! I am so excited about this!!!!:cheer:clap:yay I have tons of those darn little balls!

Hey, when this stashbusting started a LOOONG Long time ago, the brilliant creator thought it was easier to just keep all skeins as 2 points to avoid confusion... (If I ever find her, I think I'll bop her in the head!!!) :rofl

For those that don't know, *I* am that person... :rofl

...I bought 6 skeins (-12 points), then went home and rolled 3 of those skeins into balls (+3). My score was +4, so that now gives me a -5 WTD, is that correct? New to the game, just making sure I am doing it right!

...OK now i am confused-:think i thought we had to USE enough of a skein that it needed to be rolled in order to prevent tangling and that was a +1 if all we have to to is just roll any:?:? skein into a ball -i can be +100 real soon

or maybe i am reading this wrong- not enough sleep last nite for sure!

Help:eek

Yes that is my understanding...you buy (or are given) an entire skein of yarn...-2...then you use part of that skein and roll the rest of it into a ball....+1. Later when you finish that ball...another +1. For a total of +2 for that skein, which offsets the -2 from when you bought it.

Bottom line: -2 when you get it and +2 when it is all used.

Yah gotta give a girl points for trying but just "playing with doesn't use up any points. (darn! )

You actually have to make something with the yarn to count it as used.

Yep. It actually needs to be made into something. Not just rolled into balls to get the credit for it.

Thank you all for clearing this up...I was thinking the same as you guys, but then thought maybe I missed something somewhere :think then my head was starting to spin :2spin

Weeeeellll, sort of.

This is sort of skirting around the purpose, but the transformation from skein into ball, regardless of when it happens, is what makes it a ball. If she wants to take the +1 now for the transition, without using any of it, then that's fine. The problem, however - lies in the fact that at some point, the REST of that ball is going to take forever to get through and only nets one more point.

I actually made it the "shape" of the yarn so that it was easy to distinguish when diving through your stash which is worth what. If one has to remember that "these" balls are still 2 points, but "those" balls are only 1 point, it will befuddle her and she won't know which point value to assign to which balls of yarn.

So, technically, she is correct in chopping off the points for rolling her skeins into balls. In the past, others have gone through their stash and cleaned up their frazzled skeins that are partially used and rolled them into neat balls and taken the points for that.

I know it might seem "off" to do that, but it's the only way to keep the points values easy to identify when using your stash.

It's an option to everyone if they want to take the time to wind all their skeins into balls and earn lotsa points. The problem is that it will just simply take you longer to earn the points off of those balls once you actually get to them.

So, yes rolling brand new skeins into balls does earn you one point per each, even if they haven't been use. But then those balls are still only worth one point. (and they're HUGE)

I'm joining again this year. Was keeping pretty good track most of the year till the end there but ended in the positives. I've started on my first real wearable and have used up some of my stash already. Also, whipped up a quick bathroom rug in Adriafil Vintage yarn...used up 9 rolls.

9 rolls - Adriafil Vintage in a green/beige color (18)

6 Skeins - LBY Cotton Ease in Cherry Red (12)

WTD = +30 YTD = +30

oh i see....so if you buy/receive a skein, -2. Don't use it at all, but roll or wind it in a ball, +1. Then all balls in your stash only count as +1 point. That makes sense.

But...

Now, suppose I go through my current stash, and have several skeins, new & used, lets say 30, and I decide to roll them all in to balls for organization purposes today. Do I get to add +30 to my score today?? Even though I already had them in my stash, and didn't use any of them?? :think Then I get to add +1 more point for each of those balls that I use...so thats like double scoring on the same yarn... :oops

:blush I'm not trying to make this complicated, but am trying to understand for future calculating...

oh i see....so if you buy/receive a skein, -2. Don't use it at all, but roll or wind it in a ball, +1. Then all balls in your stash only count as +1 point. That makes sense.

But...

Now, suppose I go through my current stash, and have several skeins, new & used, lets say 30, and I decide to roll them all in to balls for organization purposes today. Do I get to add +30 to my score today?? Even though I already had them in my stash, and didn't use any of them?? :think Then I get to add +1 more point for each of those balls that I use...so thats like double scoring on the same yarn... :oops

:blush I'm not trying to make this complicated, but am trying to understand for future calculating...

Yes, you're correct. It's the PROCESS of moving a skein to a ball that gets you +1. Every ball is 1, every skein is 2 - IN or OUT. When you move a skein to a ball, it's +1. When you gain a skein, it's -2; when you gain a ball, it's -1. If you WANTED to go through your stash and wind everything into balls, you certainly could, but I don't recommend the waste of time (that could be used actually USING some of it); not only that - balls of yarn are terribly unruly to store.

I know it sounds a little like playing the system, and I guess it is... but there's no real way to separate "new" balls of yarn from "old" balls of yarn... so that's a loophole.

Yes, you're correct. It's the PROCESS of moving a skein to a ball that gets you +1. Every ball is 1, every skein is 2 - IN or OUT. When you move a skein to a ball, it's +1. When you gain a skein, it's -2; when you gain a ball, it's -1. If you WANTED to go through your stash and wind everything into balls, you certainly could, but I don't recommend the waste of time (that could be used actually USING some of it); not only that - balls of yarn are terribly unruly to store.

I know it sounds a little like playing the system, and I guess it is... but there's no real way to separate "new" balls of yarn from "old" balls of yarn... so that's a loophole.

Yes but those of us whose brains don't always work the way we want need simple, hard and fast rules to follow. Ugg, ugg, skein +/-2, ugg, ball +/-1.

And I used another skein (it was a small one, but still, ugg, ugg +2) So I have one more scarf to go to grannyannie.

oooohhh! I am so excited about this!!!!:cheer:clap:yay I have tons of those darn little balls!

One of those balls makes like 5 of the sponges and they only take half an hour for me to make a piece! I'm working on another ball now with this pattern to send some to my sister, and I think I'm going to make the pattern much bigger for some in general hot pads. I :heart this pattern so very very much. EVen the girls at work want me to make some for them.

Yes but those of us whose brains don't always work the way we want need simple, hard and fast rules to follow. Ugg, ugg, skein +/-2, ugg, ball +/-1.

And I used another skein (it was a small one, but still, ugg, ugg +2) So I have one more scarf to go to grannyannie.

You're correct - it's meant to keep it simple. All skeins are +/- 2. All balls are +/- 1. That's why the skein-to-ball roller deducted the point to get the balls to the proper point value.

I need to get through a few skeins seeing at my mom is about to get another one for me to make her a scarf. But I have to have it done by February, so, hopefully I'll go through it quick.

My stash actually isn't that big, especially compared to some I've seen, lol. I only have a laundry tote full of yarn, and most of it is Peaches n Cream yarn for dishcloths..

I just busted another pounder! :cheer +2 more

These pounders are PAINFUL to get points from! :lol

Yes... this is true but you get all that yarn and it is only -2 when you buy it.

Now those little bitty gram balls do go much faster but they still count as a minus 2... for less yarn.

It is a challenge when you never get a pounder finished but it is worth it for the price and the amount of stuff you get to make from it.

The important part is to give your final total on Saturday by midnight.

I'm just wondering, is that midnight Eastern time? I'm on Central time and I sometimes forget about the time difference. :blush

You're correct - it's meant to keep it simple. All skeins are +/- 2. All balls are +/- 1. That's why the skein-to-ball roller deducted the point to get the balls to the proper point value.

Eeek... all this is so confusing. :think I quickly decided not to count anything I've used that hasn't been re-wound into a center pull skein, even if I have used more than half. It's the only way I can be certain of what I have counted in my score and what I haven't. I was loosing track already and I've only been doing this a week! LOL

Yeah, I just spent some crochet break time (last week) winding a few full skeins into center-pull "balls" with the winder....its easier to store because they stack on top of each other, and saves me from having to prep what i'm working on before i start crocheting. I don't like working out of the bought skein b/c sometimes it has knots in it or gets all tangled. By winding it first, i get it all straight before I work with it.

Thanks for clearing all that up Krystal...i got it now!

Archived