My first sewing project

auntbubbels

Thanks to mumbles17 for the pattern, I tried making a fabric hook holder. Now I followed the pattern for a crayon holder and I should of used more fabric so that the hooks would fit. But I am proud of my first project.

I didn't have any fusible interfacing so I used some Buffalo snow that I am going to use for xmas decorating

I am so loving sewing

Click to see it better

th_sewedhookcase.jpg

I also need to talk to mumbles17 to learn how to close the opening (bottom right). The pattern says to to top stitch and I don't know what that means

The pattern says to to top stitch and I don't know what that means

Top stitching is less confusing than it sounds. Normally when you sew, you sew with the right sides together and then turn it inside out. With top stitching you're sewing with the wrong sides together on "top" of the fabric. So just tuck the edges inside and sew over the top. You could also whip stitch if you're good with sewing by hand. Hope that helps.:cheer

Kudos to you...

Sewing is my second love along with crochet. And combining the two is great.

Be careful, it is as addicting as crochet, maybe more since it is faster once you get the hang of it.

I have made everything from crib sheets to wedding gowns and tuxedo jackets.

Great art to have especially in this economy. Something you may want to consider is a basics book. Singer has one out, in fact my local WM had them on clearance, will check it out for you next time I go there.

Like crochet, the biggest thing before you start stitching is check your measurements.

Have fun...

Top stitching is less confusing than it sounds. Normally when you sew, you sew with the right sides together and then turn it inside out. With top stitching you're sewing with the wrong sides together on "top" of the fabric. So just tuck the edges inside and sew over the top. You could also whip stitch if you're good with sewing by hand. Hope that helps.:cheer

sew in about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch from the ends, (with the edges folded inside) and sew over the right side of the fabric in a line with the edges.

Use a straight line stitch or a fancy embroidery stitch. Gives your item a quilted or what is referred to as "knife edge" look. A common edging for padded items.

You can add to the one you made to cover the rest of the hooks by making another pillow like casing (in the height you need + 1&1/2 ")and top stitching it to your existing case.

In other words making one about 1/4" longer (so the first one can fit inside) and leaving one whole long side open. fold the open edges in about 1/3 " and put the original case (the side where the hooks are exposed) with about 1" inside of it. The right sides of both are showing, pin in place and then top stitch through both of them. It makes a taller case, and if you use a different colored fabric, it looks just like a quilt.

If you have an edgery doo, you can even crochet around the edges to give it an even more personal touch.

:cheerLike that you did a good job.

I love those crochet hooks I ordered the ones that have the steel heads to them ,

Ordered the wrong size; but liked them anways so

I ordered almost the whole set.:yes:lol

Archived