New to the hobby - and already adticted!

Amaq_Iraluq

Hello! I live in Eastern Massachusetts right now. (The "right now" changes a lot, my dad is in the military.) I'm 16 and have recently (in the past month or so) learned how to crochet from my sister. I've taught myself other stitches since, but she taught me how to chain and single crochet.

I've since made three hats (a baby hat, and dress up hat for some family friend's little girls, and a hat for a friend of mine.) I'm currently making Amara the Unicorn and a fly net (from Crochet do-dads) for my best friend's little sister and my best friend, respectively. I'm going to make a pair of slippers for her mom. (My best friend lives in Florida, so I only get to see them about once a year of so. And this year I'm going right after the holidays so I'm making them gifts!)

However, I was hoping you gals could help me out!

I need to come up with an idea for the little brother and the dad. The boy is about 8 and LOVES alligators/crocodiles! He also likes frogs and the like. So, and ideas for something I could make reality quick (one day or so?) I was thinking maybe alligator slippers or something?

And I'm totally out of ideas for the dad! He works for Microsoft, so I was thinking of including the windows logo as a joke, but I don't know what to make for the item! I'm totally up for suggestions... PLEASE!

Thanks! and Hello! :yay

Edit to add: In case you're wondering, my username is Alutiiq (a native language of Alaska) and means Amber Moon. Amber is the name of my dog, and I think the word for moon is pretty, and it makes me think of the harvest moon - which I love.

Welcome.

Here are my suggestions.... for your brother, how about an arigumi croc. Arugumi is done in single crochet. For your dad, How about a hat or a stuffed "arigumi type" cube in the windows colors.

Just brainstorming for ya. Good luck!

:welcome to the 'ville! How about a coffee cozy or coaster for dad and maybe an alligator pillow for the 8 year old if you don't want to do the slippers ... which I think would be really cool! don't forget to share pics when you get 'em done! :)

Welcome in! I'm in eastern MA too!

For the brother's slippers, green 'moss stitch' slippers with googly eyes added and felt teeth glued on? My sister has a slip on pair that looks like you have your foot on an open mouth with a tongue and the upper jaw up on the instep.

For your dad, how about a black pillow with the window in a lower corner, and the close out "X" in the upper right.

Thanks for the welcomes everyone! :hug

Here are my suggestions.... for your brother, how about an arigumi croc. Arugumi is done in single crochet. For your dad, How about a hat or a stuffed "arigumi type" cube in the windows colors.

Just brainstorming for ya. Good luck!

Well, they're not for my brother and dad, they're for my best friend's brother and dad. But then again, they're like a second family, so close enough :)

You idea for the cube gave me wicked cool idea! Make a cube-ish shape, like an older box computer screen, with the windows logo on the screen! :yay I think he would find it amusing :yes (plus it would be small enough to bring in a suitcase!)

For the dad, maybe you could make him a coffee cup cozy like this: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=89645. I work at microsoft too and those are exactly the kind of cups they have for us to put coffee in.

Oh, that's an AWESOME idea! :clap He does somethign that very few people do and he has to travel a LOT! Once he said he had memorized the locations of all Starbucks in at least five airports! I could make it Microsoft logo instead or something :) Thanks for the idea!

Hi! Welcome to the 'ville!

first: Where in Massachusetts are you? I used to live there.

Second, Thank your Dad for his service to our country!

Third: Cute pattern for a frog pouch with flies: "You're Gonna Catch Flies" (google it because I don't have the site handy- sorry)

first: Where in Massachusetts are you? I used to live there.

Second, Thank your Dad for his service to our country!

Third: Cute pattern for a frog pouch with flies: "You're Gonna Catch Flies" (google it because I don't have the site handy- sorry)

I'm on Cape Cod, and it's snowing! :yay

Thanks for the comment about my dad; lately many people have been bashing the military. He's been in it for more then 22 years. Go USCG!:cheer

I did look at that pattern before, but I think I want to make him something he will use, he has enough toys *lol* He can't even keep it clean now!

:welcome

For the dad, maybe a "computer mouse"...an ami of a mouse that he could put on his desk, or on top of his monitor...or maybe a "bug" with a wish that this be the only kind of bug his computer gets. (I know there's some cute bug and mouse patterns...check www.crochetpatterncentral.com for ideas)

Sorry, I'm not coming up with much for the son. a scarf, if it ever gets cold, or if he'd actually wear one....done in green, with the ends "pointed"...one for the mouth (embroider face) the other being the tail of the croc-agator. maybe CPC ( above) will help with better ideas?

Archived