The 12 scarves of 2009 - links and info in post #1

darski

Below are the scarves I made for April.

th_April1.jpg

Above clickable image is made with Caron Pounder in Lilac and crocheted.

Some reason Lilac has always meant to be a spring color for me :crocheting

th_April2.jpg

This clickable image is knit in a rib pattern yarn color is called Easter Basket which I thought was appropriate :rabbit

Enjoy :D

Great scarves Kelly I especially love that Easter Basket scarf

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Below are the scarves I made for April.

th_April1.jpg

Above clickable image is made with Caron Pounder in Lilac and crocheted.

Some reason Lilac has always meant to be a spring color for me :crocheting

th_April2.jpg

This clickable image is knit in a rib pattern yarn color is called Easter Basket which I thought was appropriate :rabbit

Enjoy :D

Very pretty, I have decieded what yarn I will use for my April scarf, just need to find a pattern.

Couple of notes...

I won't have both scarves ready for tomorrow. My knit one is done but it needs to be washed and hung to dry so the "used" yarn will straighten out. My Blossom scarf is not yet complete but I will work as hard as i can to get it done by Tomorrow evening.

Secondly... with the new photo rules we will have to post links only to our photobucket account as direct links will not work after some time in May. This is just a heads up.

The new photo system seems to work well and has much to offer. there are just a couple of questions that will be answered as we go along.

Couple of notes...

I won't have both scarves ready for tomorrow. My knit one is done but it needs to be washed and hung to dry so the "used" yarn will straighten out. My Blossom scarf is not yet complete but I will work as hard as i can to get it done by Tomorrow evening.

Secondly... with the new photo rules we will have to post links only to our photobucket account as direct links will not work after some time in May. This is just a heads up.

The new photo system seems to work well and has much to offer. there are just a couple of questions that will be answered as we go along.

What new photo rules, have I missed something

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=99291

I am not sure when it began but I discovered it and went looking after reading the Mystery Cal today.

Please note that photobucket (et al) direct links are out after May 15th

Thanks just read throught the post, will have a play with uploading some images later.

Whew :whew I made it. I have my scarves for May and can take pics and post tomorrow.

The nice thing about the new photo system seems to be that we can use bigger pics :yay

I live in the Niagara Region of Canada and in Niagara Falls the spring Blossom Festival is a very important event. (However, they don't seem to advertize it and I could not find a website for you to visit to learn about it. :rofl )

Well as a very young child, I remember coming on a bus charter with my Grandmother to see all the blossoms on the trees. To this day, I stop to look at and enjoy the blossoms in their season. :dreaming

My first scarf represents those beautiful blossoms on the trees. This started out as some other project (can't remember which now) but it was going nowhere. Trying to come up with an appropriate scarf for May and looking at the leafy green yarn this one came into being. I may post the pattern for this one...

post-4896-135897400552_thumb.jpg

post-4896-135897400559_thumb.jpg

My second one came about because I wanted to test the drop stitch pattern and the pink yarn was nearby (just in the :frog pond ) The soft pink colour and the open pattern got me to thinking it would make a nice Mother's Day gift. it would be just enough in changing weather conditions to warm your neck to keep chills away but not so much that you feel it.

post-4896-135897400561_thumb.jpg

Now if I can get the new photo system to work out...

:wlol

Darski, you have two winners this month :cheer they are gorgeous!!!!!

Is the drop stitch available somewhere? That would make a wonderful summer type scarf :)

Darski, you have two winners this month :cheer they are gorgeous!!!!!

Is the drop stitch available somewhere? That would make a wonderful summer type scarf :)

I got it From KPC on Saturday but I can't find the exact one now. Check any of the Drop Stitch patterns from this list

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/scarves.php

The one I used worked over 13 stitches. The original pattern used 4 rows of knit. One row with k1, dbl wrap then the last (of 6) row to drop the wraps.

After I did 4 sets of the full pattern, i switched to using only 2 rows of knit and then doing the wrap and drop portion. i ended with another 4 sets of the full 6 rows. It is really easy and mindless. The only trick is to remember if you have done one or two rows already :rofl It's the part I hate about knitting... it is harder to find your rows.

If that is not at least as clear as mud :blinklet me know and I will try to explain it again :blah

:rofl

Darski, both of them very nice.. I guess the drop stitch is knitting only aye?.... dang..... I am still contemplating my May scarf..hmmm what to do , what to do.

Darski, both of them very nice.. I guess the drop stitch is knitting only aye?.... dang..... I am still contemplating my May scarf..hmmm what to do , what to do.

I would guess that you could fake the drop stitch by working a loopy stitch over a large knitting needle (a variation of broomstick lace). Hmmm I might give that a try myself.

:crocheting

I did give that technique a try and it can be done. I think I went with too large a needle but the effect was much the same as my knitted version

I'll add the pic in a minute... need to 'fix' it first

Here yah go...

post-4896-135897401239_thumb.jpg

I began with a ch 14, sc in 2nd st from hook and in each across.

Rows 2 -4: sc evenly

Row 5: work a row of sc over a large knitting needle, broom handle or whatever.

Row 6. Work a row of sc being careful to only use the two top loops as usual. This allows the stitches to drop so you get the same effect as the knitting.

I used a 25 mm :knit I think my 15mm might have been a better choice. :wlol

I did give that technique a try and it can be done. I think I went with too large a needle but the effect was much the same as my knitted version

I'll add the pic in a minute... need to 'fix' it first

Here yah go...

[ATTACH]675[/ATTACH]

I began with a ch 14, sc in 2nd st from hook and in each across.

Rows 2 -4: sc evenly

Row 5: work a row of sc over a large knitting needle, broom handle or whatever.

Row 6. Work a row of sc being careful to only use the two top loops as usual. This allows the stitches to drop so you get the same effect as the knitting.

I used a 25 mm :knit I think my 15mm might have been a better choice. :wlol

I have one of those thingys, I am going to have to find it , and give this a try... awesome you so rock:2rock

Well, I missed posting in April, so I will post both month's today.

The red scarf was made of recycled yarn from an afghan I found at a thrift store. I made it a little wider than the pattern called for and now it looks a little too wide to me. I personally like skinny scarves, but I am holding onto this one in case The Orphan Foundation does its Red Scarf Project again this year.

The other is made of granny squares that I made from my stash yarn.

post-24078-135897401591_thumb.jpg

post-24078-135897401596_thumb.jpg

Those are very pretty Alyce. I love that red one but then I think skinny scarves are only one point on a continuum :wlol

I really like how your motifs worked out as well. Nifty! :tup

Ohhhhhhhh I love both of these but the flowered one is totally speaking to me!!!! I'm still trying to work on scarves but the homework, class, and tutor schedule are killing me. Still plugging away. I plan to do some catching up over the short break between quarters lol!!!

Great scarves, Alyce!

Thanks for that technique tip, Darski. I think I will try that for my May scarf.. I tried the knitting and it didn't go over too well...well it wasn't terrible but the teacher wasn't eager to teach stitches beyond the basic ridgy one, not even sure what it is called. So...I will probably try to teach myself from the internet but it will have to wait until I have a good long chunk of time to sit in front of the computer with needles and not be interrupted constantly for chocolate milk or food. (To think that kids really need to eat! Sheesh. :lol)

Ok Darski, I gave this a try and apparently I have no Idea how to crochet over knitting needle...

Archived