The 12 scarves of 2009 - links and info in post #1

darski

Oooh. Count me in. Almost all my on-going projects are afghans so it's nice to have a quicker project and actually see the end of it! I love the idea that we get to create the scarf, or pick the pattern!, that best matches the month to us. :hook

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have been thinking about joining. I don't wear scarves & I know of no one else does around me. But grannyannie always needs them. And what better way to make sure I send her at least 12. :D I also have 3 scarf design - 2 of which I need to write up & get tested.

Here is what I think each month means to me.

January - white & light blue. Its not snowy here but it is in Big Bear & looking north east from where I live Big Bear Mtn looks so majestic.

February - Pink, red, & party colors. Valentines & many birthdays.

march - pastels. Easter (sometimes) and new flowers.

May - Purple. Lupus awareness month.

June - Blue. School is out & there is a lot of water play. Blue is the color of boy which my 2nd oldest claims on his birthday in June.

July - Red, White, & Blue. Fireworks for us in the US. It also reminds me that down under it's winter.

August - Dark colors such as burgandy & burnt prange. Summer will never end.

September - Basic colors. It's when school really gets underway. Black to as my sons & my birthday is in Sept & our fave color is black.

October - Black, orange, & White for halloween. Pink for breast cancer awareness.

November - Brown, orange, white, black... Thanksgiving colors.

December - green & red. Christmas & trees.

I love all your ideas! As a matter of fact I just finished a scarf this morning made with Bernat fresh lilac. It is so pretty and I was thinking it would be perfect for May, lol! I could almost smell the lilacs! Thanks for thinking of me Jessica!:hug

I have been thinking of the 12 Days of Christmas song for a couple of days and also thinking of doing a scarf CAL next year.:wgrin:wbrr

What I plan to do is to make a distinctive scarf for each month. even in July and August we like something decorative to wear.. or it is a good time to stash up on scarves for the Christmas season that is fast approaching (it seems) by that time.

:wgrin Who wants in? :wgrin

I would like to take part in this however, I will get bored after a while. I would like to try. And I can tell you don't live in Coastal NC; we don't wear scarves all year. If we did, we would have heat stroke even with the lightest weight scarf. Neverthless, I wouldn't mind making them for charity. Great for stash busting, too! I'm in until I get bored. :hook

I want to join! What is a scraf CAL? (CAL)?

Thanks,

Kelley

a CAL is a Crochet ALong where people are making the same thing or the same type of thing at the same time. We are here to help and encourage each other .

In this case, we all want to create one scarf a month over the next year that will represent what the month means to us.

Many people are listing what they consider important parts and colours for the months so that they can be thinking ahead to what would work well for them.

Welcome aboard. if you are new to CALs a scarf CAL makes a good first choice as scarves are easy and quick to make up.

I would like to take part in this however, I will get bored after a while. I would like to try. And I can tell you don't live in Coastal NC; we don't wear scarves all year. If we did, we would have heat stroke even with the lightest weight scarf. Neverthless, I wouldn't mind making them for charity. Great for stash busting, too! I'm in until I get bored. :hook

Knock yourself out :yes -- or not :no as the mood strikes you :rofl

I should get into this since I have skein after skein of fun fiber and never do anything with it! I am just addicted to it

I would love to see the 12 months as seen through fun fur scarves. Can't wait to see what you do with it. :clap

Welcome to all who have signed in.

I think there are tons of scarves out there that we can use and I hope that as participants find a pattern they like, they will share the find with others. what works for one of us one month may be perfect for someone else in another month.

I don't plan to design all my scarves... just certain months that call for something special as the Spirit moves me.

We have talked about making lighter scarves for the summer months and this pattern that Rachel posted today could be very nice for that use.:yes

I would choose a different colour if I were making it for a specific month but I like the effect.

Ok, I would be working in cheap yarns but you get the idea :think

I love the idea of a free for all monthly scarf-a-long :crocheting. I like to give scarves (and usually matching hats) as gifts. I usually send a couple scarves to each of the grandkids (4) for Christmas. A few months ago I depleted most of my yarn stash and since then have rebuilt it to where my storage area is overflowing. This will give me a good way to go through most of my stash again :yes...then I can have the fun of rebuilding it :manyheart

I've always liked the monthly scarves on this site:

http://suzies-yarnie-stuff.blogspot.com/

She has a nice mixture of knit and crochet scarves if anyone is looking for ideas.

I was just thinking you could do a pattern for those who want to follow a pattern and the person that dont want to follow a pattern could come up with a different pattern, and possible share it with the rest of us. Heck I don't know. Just a thought.

But as for me I am just excited about it all and looking way forward to how you come about doing this. :cheer Can't wait to get started...:yes

:)

:hookDebra

Oh Darski! You make my little creative brain wiggle in delight!

Please, everyone correct me if I'm wrong! I can't speak for people who live in the South or Southwest US, but they generally follow the same 'seasonal ideals' as we do. I say that but could be speaking out of thin air. As for "down under," any one out there have suggestions?? Considering the major calendar holidays are still the same we could work that angle? I don't know.

As for grapes, I was pondering this when I was trying to sleep last night (I know - that's such a good idea think about crocheting when you're trying to sleep). I know I've seen a granny square with grapes on it somewhere. That idea would be easy enough to transform into a scarf. I think it was a lot of clusters/bubble stitches? I can't remember and I'll have to go searching for it.

We celebrate Mardi Gras beginning January 6th every year so everything is purple, green and gold with masks, jesters and beads.

Darski, you may already intend to do this when you start posting the scarves, but may I ask that you put links in the 1st post to each pattern? It would make it easier, imho, for us to find them (and I admit, since this thread already has so many pages and will get many more, that I'm a bit lazy about trying to wade through a lot of pages at a time).

Sandy

Sure I can do that... I'll go looking for links tomorrow and get the first post up to date.

For now here is one link that I think could be used to make a scarf by using a thicker yarn.

http://www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/faq-search.cgi?store=/stores/eyarn&faqKey=461&language=

It is Lion Brand so you often have to log in to see anything there

Now, just double checking since my memory can serve me wrong at times (more often than I like to admit!! :lol) but it's a "pick you own colors and pattern" type cal right? Where we smoosh what we feel best represents the months into a scarf? Or is it going to be one where there IS a set pattern but you can make whatever you want?

I already have my January scarf and a spring month scarf picked out.... probably April because it's my favorite color and I adore the pattern (birthday month means scarf for me!). I can't wait to start now! Ok... ok... January has around 10 rows done but it's also been sitting on my desk for over a month waiting for it's chance to be picked up again and looking at it now, it just screams "January!" :flake

Now, just double checking since my memory can serve me wrong at times (more often than I like to admit!! :lol) but it's a "pick you own colors and pattern" type cal right? Where we smoosh what we feel best represents the months into a scarf? Or is it going to be one where there IS a set pattern but you can make whatever you want?

I already have my January scarf and a spring month scarf picked out.... probably April because it's my favorite color and I adore the pattern (birthday month means scarf for me!). I can't wait to start now! Ok... ok... January has around 10 rows done but it's also been sitting on my desk for over a month waiting for it's chance to be picked up again and looking at it now, it just screams "January!" :flake

yep... we all decide what a month means to us and then we find a way to show that in a scarf. it could be the colour that does it or the connotations of a holiday in that month or whatever floats your boat.

I think it will be exciting to see how people view a month. With a worldwide audience to choose from, we will get a different perspective for some months. Can't wait

And yes I did finish my January Scarf so that I can post the pattern when we start. No one has to make mine, make what works for you. :ghug

I dont know if I could make one every month it would depend on how my stash holds out but I would love to join if I can. I have a ton of ideas for patterns and would be willing to share them as I work them out. I am thinking fall leaves for sept, something along the idea of fireworks for July (even if it is hotter than hadies in AZ in July) flowers for the spring.... Hmmmm can I play even if I cant join in every month?

Archived