The 12 scarves of 2009 - links and info in post #1

darski

I have been thinking of the 12 Days of Christmas song for a couple of days and also thinking of doing a scarf CAL next year.:wgrin:wbrr

What I plan to do is to make a distinctive scarf for each month. even in July and August we like something decorative to wear.. or it is a good time to stash up on scarves for the Christmas season that is fast approaching (it seems) by that time.

I am planning to design some scarves and just to make a scarf in a colour that would suit the month for other times. Anyone who wants to create something new and in keeping with the month is certainly welcome to do so and any efforts that can be shared would be wonderful.

I'm wondering if anyone would like to join in this scarf CAL? The thing I like about scarves is that you get 'em done in nothing flat and can move on to more (and ever more) great patterns.

We will begin around January 2nd - lets get all the festive things done and then turn our minds to scarf works.

I am working on a list of possible scarves that I will post in January but it is to be more of a free for all.

:wgrin Who wants in? :wgrin

Photobucket Login

(link takes you to the login screen)

Username: cville12scarves2009cal

Password: 12scarves

Some links you may want to try for inspiration or patterns

very pretty pattern stitch scarf

http://littlesliceoflife.wordpress.com/free-patterns/claudia-scarf/

A crochet trim pattern that may be suitable

http://www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/faq-search.cgi?store=/stores/eyarn&faqKey=461&language=

A light and lovely lacy pattern for a scarf

this pattern

Suzetta's monthly scarf project

http://suzies-yarnie-stuff.blogspot.com/

Another light weight scarf at Coats and Clarke

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Crochet/Projects/Accessories/WC1720+Greek+Key+Crochet+Scarf.htm

Some info about the various months as posted by CAL participants...

rlanto said:

I tend to think of months in colors and scents. So here are my thoughts on the months...

January is white and smells like clean linen (crisp and fresh snowfall).

February is very light blue and smells like the earth.

March is yellow and smells like leaves.

April is light green and smells like tulips.

May is bright green and smells like a big bouquet of wildflowers.

June is purple and smells like fresh vegetables.

July is red and smells like a thunderstorm.

August is bright orange and smells like cotton candy (it's when the county fair here is held)

September is dark yellow and smells like fires.

October is deep orange and smells like maple syrup.

November is dark maroon and smells like pumpkins.

December is green and smells like pinetrees.

Miss Crochet says...

Woah - free association! Let me join in!! :D

January is grey - dirty snow and ice. No Xmas lights. No smells, just cold.

February is brown - like the earth (which we finally get to see again.) It smells like earth to me, too.

March is green. It smells like cake - St. Patrick's Day!

April is yellow- daffodils, narcissi, tulips.

May is blue. In Catholic countries May was the month of the Virgin Mary, blue and white flowers.

June is pink. The month of weddings, roses.

July is bright yellow, green and pink. Few thunderstorms. No public holidays for us here.

August is a mellow yellow and dried-grass green. It smells like parched earth after rain.

September is chocolate brown and burgundy. It smells of school - chalkdust, new shoes.

October is orange - Halloween, bonfire flames.

November is black and white. Suddenly the days are shorter and the amount of daylight has slipped to a couple of hours per day. A lot of darkness and the first snow. It smells of SNOW!

December - red and green. It smells of cinnamon and gingerbread and candied almonds.

Minerva76 suggested...

Hmmm...another idea for 'themes' would be to play with birthstone colors.

Beasteez Gurl had this to say...

This sounds like alot of fun!! I love making scarves...its my new fave thing to make!!

I like the idea of seasonal themes and the birthstone idea for colors...but what if we went more for the whats going on for that month idea? Like for example here's a few months I can think of quickly:

January is snowy most places that have cold winters, so a snow theme - snowflakes or snowman motifs, bubble stitches for snowballs

February is Valentines, so hearts, pinks & reds, also when Nascar starts the new season so checkered flag designs would be cool

March is first signs of spring with leaves popping out in all different colors, St Patricks Day, (my birthday!!)

April is flowers blooming, Easter

May is Mothers day - so frilly or lacy patterns would be nice, also Cinco de Mayo -bright colors, Memorial Day - red white & blues

June - I like the bridal theme - lacy and blues

October - Breast Cancer month, there's a pattern book somewhere I saw that has alot of awareness ribbon patterns - we could all make them and donate to a cancer-related charity

Isserlie was thinking...

January here in NY is cold with snow. I think of white and blue for ice 0 maybe fuzzy white yarn?

February is so often dreary, so I might consider something that would brighten my day with bold colors.

March is crocus time so maybe pale yellow, lavender and light green?

April Leaves come out and its a time of rebirth not just in faith but in the earth around us. I think of daffodils and earth being turned over.

May (my birthday month - yippee) has always been a bright YELLOW month

June is the end of the school year - full of bursting excitement - weddings - maibe silver and pink (someone already suggested pink - great idea)

July - hot and full of flowers and beach balls, trees full of shade and swings....I suppose this goes for August as well...The colors of beach sand and flip flops.blue-green-aqua for water

September is green with the touch of yellow, new school books ( can you tell I work in a school)

October is fall, but I love the idea of the grape-y thing purple and green.

November I would choose the traditional fall colors of red and yellow, brown and orange.

December....red, white, green...silver white and blue....black orange and greens...

I also love the ideas of the smells associated with color choices.

Well anyway...just some of my thoughts...always subject to change and suggestion from those more creative.

fc1123 was seeing flowers blooming all year...

I thought of something else how about flowers for each person's birth month for example:

January- carnation(pink)

February-Iris (purple)

March-daffodil (yellow)

April- daisy (white or pink)

May- lilly (white)

June- rose (

July- larkspur

August- gladiola

September-aster

October-Calendula

November- Chrysanthemum

December- narcissus

Woomba is letting her world speak to her and is waiting to see what each month has to say...

This sounds like fun! I hope to be able to express each month as I see it in my new country downunder. Queensland Should be interesting this year as we have had some great rain and this month you see every shade of green with wild clover (lavendar) in the paddocks...at least I was told that it was wild clover. Absolurely beautiful. Can hardly wait to see what January looks like. I have only seen Queensland in a Droughty type condition so I am really enjoying all the new bold colors. There was color but I am seeing some new colors now. I may take a picture of a scene in that month and make a scarf in the colors that I love about that scene.

jessicagil had this to say...

Here is what I think each month means to me.

January - white & light blue. Its not snowy here but it is in Big Bear & looking north east from where I live Big Bear Mtn looks so majestic.

February - Pink, red, & party colors. Valentines & many birthdays.

march - pastels. Easter (sometimes) and new flowers.

May - Purple. Lupus awareness month.

June - Blue. School is out & there is a lot of water play. Blue is the color of boy which my 2nd oldest claims on his birthday in June.

July - Red, White, & Blue. Fireworks for us in the US. It also reminds me that down under it's winter.

August - Dark colors such as burgandy & burnt prange. Summer will never end.

September - Basic colors. It's when school really gets underway. Black to as my sons & my birthday is in Sept & our fave color is black.

October - Black, orange, & White for halloween. Pink for breast cancer awareness.

November - Brown, orange, white, black... Thanksgiving colors.

December - green & red. Christmas & trees.

ropergirl 13 is seeing warm fuzzies this year...

I should get into this since I have skein after skein of fun fiber and never do anything with it! I am just addicted to it

wiz3283 is moving her little brain cells around already...

I dont know if I could make one every month it would depend on how my stash holds out but I would love to join if I can. I have a ton of ideas for patterns and would be willing to share them as I work them out. I am thinking fall leaves for sept, something along the idea of fireworks for July (even if it is hotter than hadies in AZ in July) flowers for the spring

HopeAnn has an intriguing suggestion for our summer camping types...

I'm with ya on this one. I love making scarfs and I have several different patterns that I've made over the years..

We could do colors for each month or designs that go with a holiday of that month I saw somewhere a smores scarf it was adorable that would be a great summer time one.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like your idea very much! I certainly can not design a scarf, but I would love to participate! I love scarves, wear them year round and always love having them around to fulfill those last minute gifts (my daughter dives into my scarf pile when she needs a last minute gift) I think it is a GREAT idea, count me in!

Welcome aboard... maybe we could do a scarf with grapes? Whatdayah think? I have had some ideas on how to make it.

Grapes? How did you know I like grapes? :think I have grape wallpaper in my kitchen(my family hates it:()...made wine bottle lamps with stained glass grapes on them for the holidays....I like the grape idea! I am really looking forward to this!:clap Of course I am only about an hour away from Fingerlakes wine country.....but I did not think you knew that:lol

We once discussed the chance of making a collar like the one worn by zoezoe's mom in It's a Wonderful Life. I haven't forgotten that plan, I just can't find a way to make it with yarn. :wlol

Welcome aboard all. Has anyone given any thought to how to best represent the "feeling" of a month?

I'm just curious. I have been trying to slot some stuff in but then my local and national circumstances may differ from the usual US crowd. Our Thanksgiving is in October but I was thinking that our local Niagara area is known for its tender fruits/grape growing. That would be a good month to slot in that grape-y scarf that I have been dreaming of for a long while now.

how about the rest of you? any thoughts?

I am totally in for this. I LOVE LOVE scarves. As for months - I think I can help. I'm good with the creative. I agree with the October/November Thanksgiving differential.

I tend to think of months in colors and scents. So here are my thoughts on the months...

January is white and smells like clean linen (crisp and fresh snowfall).

February is very light blue and smells like the earth.

March is yellow and smells like leaves.

April is light green and smells like tulips.

May is bright green and smells like a big bouquet of wildflowers.

June is purple and smells like fresh vegetables.

July is red and smells like a thunderstorm.

August is bright orange and smells like cotton candy (it's when the county fair here is held)

September is dark yellow and smells like fires.

October is deep orange and smells like maple syrup.

November is dark maroon and smells like pumpkins.

December is green and smells like pinetrees.

Archived