Good, cheap drop spindle kits?

SarahsStitches

You know the old saying Sarah, you can have it cheap, good or quick but you can't have all three. Unfortunately with a spindle you do get what you pay for.

You can always try making your own. It will be hard to find one under $20. Don't forget you have to buy roving too.

Some people have made theirs with a stick and a toy wheel. Or a cd and a stick

http://danielson.laurentian.ca/qualityoflife/Fulltext/Textiles/Making_a_cd_drop_spindle.htm

http://www.joyofhandspinning.com/make-dropspin.shtml

It doesn't say how much the spindle weighs so it's hard to judge. I would definately say though that alpaca is not a beginner fibre. Look for corriedale or blue faced leicester if possible.

http://www.paradisefibers.net/Corriedale-Spinning-Fiber-s/138.htm

http://www.paradisefibers.net/Oatmeal-Blue-Faced-Leicester-p/21267.htm

I learned on an Ashford spindle and although it's big and heavy, it's a good one to learn on because most people spin quite thickly at first. It's also very forgiving when you drop it (which still happens to me after 2 yrs of spinning)

http://www.paradisefibers.net/Ashford-Drop-Spindle-Student-p/2919.htm

No affiliation to that company, just the first link I came across :-)

The Local Harvest spindle says it is 2 oz.

I agree, alpaca is not a beginner fiber - too slippery, without crimp. Then again, I know a spinner that started out spinning cotton - definitely not a fiber for the beginner.

As for fiber - most of the fibers that Carol Lee (sheepshed.com) offers are great for the beginner - and inexpensive also

Well I wouldn't do the cardboard, but a spindle with a cd is possible. Just be careful about balance.

A double CD would be better and add more weight (which is better for the beginner).

I taught a 11 yo boy last night at the Farmer's Market how to spindle using some of Carol Lee's roving. I gave him about a 5 minute lesson, and off he was going. After half hour, he went home with quite a bit amount of nicely spun yarn.

He would have spun a lot longer if his Grandfather wouldn't have come over and said, "Next thing you know, you'll be knitting". I let the boy know that there were many, many young men in college both spinning and knitting.

He was awful proud of his yarn! Going to give it to his Grandmother (who is a knitter) for a Christmas present! :clap

Wow, I'm surprised to hear several people say that alpaca is not a good choice for beginners:think....cause guess what? Not having heard that, that's exactly what I ordered. It came today and I sat down and in a few minutes I was spinning!!!!

Just to clarify, I've never spun before today. I watched some youtube clips, ordered the fiber from etsy, and while I waited for it to arrive, I made two spindles from stuff I found at the craft store.

I LOVE my alpaca fiber. I got two kinds - a gorgeous reddish brown Huaquaya sp?: shorter 4" locks that I really should comb out first and some light gray Suri: looong 7+ inch locks that are such a dream to spin right from bag.

I'll be ordering Suri from now on. It is slipperier, but I think that helps. :lol

I still can't believe I'm spinning! :yay

Congrats, Tia! So...is it dusty? I have allergies, and I don't want it to make me sneeze...any advice? Thanks!

Is the fiber dusty? Yes, some of it was unwashed, won't make that mistake again. :(

Is spinning dusty? No. You are spinning up in the air (with drop spindle). But it doesn't create a wind. I guess if you drop it and your floors are dirty, well......;). Not sure about spinning wheels being 'windy' :lol.

Edit to say that Alpaca fiber is hypo-allergenic! It contains no lanolin like sheep and goat wool.

Yes, make sure it's washed and preferably combed unless you want to do that yourself. Stay clear of 'raw' fiber that has 'not been skirted' and don't assume that because it's been combed or carded that it's also been washed.

And from my (little) experience, the longer fibers, 6+ inches and usually from Suri alpaca, are easier to work with. At least if you're working from locks, I haven't worked with carded fiber. Does that make a difference anybody? I.E. does it not matter about staple length because carded fleece ends up one long piece?

(I bought just the shorn locks because it was cheaper than roving that was carded.)

the longer fibers, 6+ inches and usually from Suri alpaca, are easier to work with. At least if you're working from locks, I haven't worked with carded fiber. Does that make a difference anybody? I.E. does it not matter about staple length because carded fleece ends up one long piece?

(I bought just the shorn locks because it was cheaper than roving that was carded.)

Yes, the preparation of the fiber is very important to the way you spin and the finished yarn.

• 3 weeks later...

Alpaca most certainly does have crimp, huacaya anyway. I learned to spin with the blanket fleece of my oldest girl with only a 2-2 1/2" staple. It was challenging mostly because of the short staple. I immediately moved on to the neck fleece of my dark maroon herdsire.

pc090008-300x225.jpg

The staple of that neck fleece is 4", and was a lot easier to spin! I even plied it and have 30 yds of lovely but fairly bulky yarn. What I'll do with that I have no idea! Maybe I need to make some more! This pic shows my second spinning attempt, ever.

pc130002.jpg

I'm now working on some medium fawn that I carded up from my girl whose dam is huacaya from suris. Suris have no crimp, and my girl's fleece has much more suri character than huacaya. However, I'm not having a bit of trouble spinning with it. In fact it's lovely to work with, so smooth and silky.

I'll have to say if you have alpaca, definitely charge right ahead and learn with it!

Hey thanks, Cyndi! I've been spinning for less than a month. The beige was done on December 8th, and the maroon was spun on the 1th, then plied and washed on December 12th. I really wish it went faster. So far all I can manage is the park and draft method. Pre-drafting the fleece really helps.

I don't spin every day, sometimes I'm just too tired from chores outside to clean up and work with the fiber! And I just have so many wonderful fleeces to choose from, and then I have to decide if I'd rather felt them into scarves or something rather than spin. My first felting project came out pretty well, too.

So many projects, so little time!

Archived