Cathedral Window-CAL

Chatty

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all. I finally ordered this pattern and kit (so I wouldn't have to search for the yarn individually) a few months ago and really started working in earnest this week. Is anyone else working on it also?

Hi there, I'm not sure what you're asking...I would measure it when it's flat...I'm using a G hook throughout the whole afghan too and I'm not doubling up on the parts it's called for to do so. It's turning out quite nice. I'm at the Peaks and Valleys in the Third Section.

Good luck CrochetGrammy...

I finally dug mine out to work on it. I had a bunch of ends to weave in. I am trying to get all the heptagons done so when I get there they are ready to put in. All the big ones are done, and half of the little ones are done.

Hey Dorothy, that's great! Mine is over 3/4th done, but I ran out of gemstone (I think the kit I bought was short one skein and the company is sending me another...) and so I can only work on 1 and a half rounds before I need the gemstone again. I have all but one small heptagon to do, but I have some ends that need to be woven in, so I can work on that as well. For the most part I have been weaving ends as I go along...

Here is where I am right now. Hoping to get to work on it some today. I had to get my old camera out to take the picture apparently my new camera takes pictures that are to big for the ville. The colors don't look true to what they are.

post-19553-135897734359_thumb.jpg

Here is where I am right now. Hoping to get to work on it some today. I had to get my old camera out to take the picture apparently my new camera takes pictures that are to big for the ville. The colors don't look true to what they are.

[ATTACH]51436[/ATTACH]

It looks great!

• 1 month later...
Pam

I am so sorry that happened..will you have enough now or did you start another...what colors this time??

Julie

I didn't do the triangles...i just went around like some of the other ladies did,so mush easier and faster.

Like This....

Once I had my pentagons sewn on, I attached my black yarn so that I could start following the pattern directions at the tip of the pentagon. Then the pattern instructions become:

Starting at the tip of one of the pentagons, sl st in first three stitches of edging; sc in next 2 stitches; hdc in next 2 stitches; dc in next 4 stitches; hdc in next 2 stitches; sc in next 2 stitches; 3 sl st to get to next pentagon tip. Repeat 7 times, join back with sl st in original tip of pentagon.

To verify that you're doing it right, you should have made the first 2 double crochets "in front of" the join between the two pentagons, and the second 2 double crochets after the join.

Once you've finished this round, do another round of single crochet all the way around. You should have 18 single crochets in every "segment" between the tip of one pentagon and the next.

Hi everyone, I hope you don't mind me jumping in here. I'm brand new to crochetville, and pretty new to crocheting too. I've just started this stunning afghan, and croched the triangles directly on top of the pentagons as above. My question is how to proceed with the next round? Section 2 round 1. Obviously I won't need the Ch3 dc to start as there are no gaps to fill, so the stitch count doesn't work out. Can anyone tell me how to complete this round? I've spent all day googling it and can't seem to find an answer anywhere...

Rashida- It would be great to have someone else to work alongside. :cheer

I couldn’t find a reference anywhere to how others did that section so I came up with my own. I'll post what I've done here incase it might help someone else. I'm not saying this is 'the' way to do it, just what worked out ok for me. Starting at the top of any pentagon sc in the next 3 stitches, hdc in next 2 st, 2 hdc in next st, dc in next 2 sts, 2dc in next st, dc in next 3 sts. hdc in next 2 sts, 2hdc in next st, sc in next 3 sts. repeat fot next 7 sections. This increases the stitch count from 18 to 21 between each pentagon, giving the correct count of 168 for the round. Yes, it makes the circle somewhat frilly, but increasing any circle by 24 stitches is going to do that. The next round evens this out.

I'm now on section 2 round 4, and I'm enjoying this much more than all the sewing in section 1.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm feeing a bit lonely here, such a shame this thread seems to be pretty much dead :( But I'm going topost my progress anyway! S1055431.jpg

It looks beautiful so far! You are doing a wonderful job :)

Aww! Thank you all, maybe its not as quiet here as I thought!

I know, first hand, what a huge project this is to undertake. I was glad when I did it that there were lots and lots of people working on the project at the same time. But, maybe the couple of you doing it now can revive the project for more people!

How is everyone doing? I've just reached the second popcorn round. And I'm here procrastinating rather than start it! I'm not looking forward to this one, I still have vivid memories of just how long the first one took, and that was half the size!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks great! All of the pics I've been able to see look pretty neat (I've only gotten about a quarter of the way through the full thread, and many of the early links are broken...) I purchased the pattern online about a month ago, after seeing a picture of it somewhere and then starting through this thread about it.

Not sure I'm actually going to make it though - I'm thinking about modifying the pattern to do a different window, so it'll take some careful planning. Not necessarily for the design changes (though there will definitely be some of that), but to finish up some of the other projects in the queue in order to clear enough space to justify spending the money and time on a new one!

• 3 weeks later...

...the thread, that is. :D I've been reading through on my lunch break for a little over a month now (I think I started a few weeks before actually joining the forum, and that'll be a month ago on Friday). There are a lot of pages in this thread!

Got the pattern, but I'm not sure I'm actually going to do THIS pattern... thinking about changing it to mimic a different window. Thought I'd buy the pattern anyway so I could look at how certain sections are constructed and see how to modify them for the new pattern.

...It's going to feel weird not having this tab open on my work browser anymore. :)

• 3 months later...

Archived