Cathedral Window-CAL

Chatty

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am in awe of all of you who have picked up and started this challenge. I would dearly love to see more pictures of where you are and if anyone has theirs finished. Is there a picture forum here related to this thread?

I am challenged..I am crazy... seems to be 2 things maybe needed to attack this project. I'm also a newbie to REALLY crocheting, having learned it as a kid from my mom, but never DOING anything. I am working on my first real project afghan..thinking this might be a bit daunting a task..but then I'd have all you experts to draw from when I get stuck..right???? :D

Mary

I was just reading through this thread, looking for pictures of peoples' finished afghans so that I could try to get my yen to make this afghan back in the front of my brain again, when I saw a couple of posts from last summer asking about errors that had been on the original pattern and whether or not they had been corrected. I noticed one person who figured out the cost of the pattern plus the cost of the yarn, and I decided that I HAD to post and tell anyone considering making this afghan that the amount of yarn called for in the pattern has been BADLY underestimated! I bought what it called for and ran out of yarn before my afghan was even four feet across! In order for me to have had enough to finish the afghan I would have had to have bought almost TWICE the amount of yarn that the pattern called for. So, anyone considering starting this afghan project, be aware that you are going to need a LOT more yarn than the list calls for if you want to make sure you have all the same dye lot before you start.

• 3 weeks later...

I just joined this forum and I have started the afghan. I'm to the first black stripe (round 9) in part two. I've looked at some of the pictures and also the picture with the pattern and I have more black surrounding the octagon and pentagons than the pictures. Everything seems OK. Anybody have similar look? I'll post a picture when I figure out how.

Thanks

Brenda

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Long, long ago I took part in this thread. I also collected a few links and pictures from various sources, on my long neglected blog. Blog link below. It might save some time for those just starting out here.

As far as corrections... I think it depends on your level of experience, if your going to have any problems . When I did mine I was an advanced beginner and due to my style of working patterns, I completely missed the errors except for one..which was very easy to spot, and know there was a typo there.

I tend to plow forward after reading and understanding the first bits of a row. I grasp the concept of that row, do the first stitches carefully, and can see how the rest of the row is going to play out. ..not reading lines and lines within each row. That is here the errors seem to be.

So don't sweat the small stuff. By far, the majority of people wanting to do this pattern are not going to have any problems. A brand new beginner may. They should really master the basics before choosing this one.:hug

Hi,

Long, long ago I took part in this thread. I also collected a few links and pictures from various sources, on my long neglected blog. Blog link below. It might save some time for those just starting out here.

As far as corrections... I think it depends on your level of experience, if your going to have any problems . When I did mine I was an advanced beginner and due to my style of working patterns, I completely missed the errors except for one..which was very easy to spot, and know there was a typo there.

I tend to plow forward after reading and understanding the first bits of a row. I grasp the concept of that row, do the first stitches carefully, and can see how the rest of the row is going to play out. ..not reading lines and lines within each row. That is here the errors seem to be.

So don't sweat the small stuff. By far, the majority of people wanting to do this pattern are not going to have any problems. A brand new beginner may. They should really master the basics before choosing this one.:hug

Thanks Plaidkitty,

I found your hints and corrections on your blog as I was just getting started. They were a terrific help! I knew that with such a large and complicated project as this I needed to look for hints. Thanks for collecting the great info. Please keep your blog available for future crocheters. This is such a beautiful and impressive pattern, it will be popular for years to come.

Hi,

Hay Pam...did you ever get yours done??I remember you working on it at the same time i was.I have a second one started that i need to dig out and get done just seem to always look at it and groan,whine,pout and look away :lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I"m just wondering where everyone is on this project. I've been rather busy, and not getting in too much crochet time of late. I'm about to start filling in the Valleys in the third section.

Where are you on the pattern?

I am on Rnd 4 of the second section, but I don't understand where is the pattern shown on the cover of the Leaflet #885034. When I did the octagon (first section) the directions said to use Gemstone-no other

colors where does the pattern come in? Can you help me?:)

I recently got the patern for the Cathedral Rose Window Afghan. I fell in love with this pattern but I am having trouble with the pattern On first section the Octagon there is no directions to change colors for the pattern. It only says to use gemstone. Where is the pattern it shows on the front cover? Can you help me?

I recently got the patern for the Cathedral Rose Window Afghan. I fell in love with this pattern but I am having trouble with the pattern On first section the Octagon there is no directions to change colors for the pattern. It only says to use gemstone. Where is the pattern it shows on the front cover? Can you help me?

You don't change colors at first. Just take it one row at a time it will let you know when you nned to add a diffrent color.

Just follow the instructions to make the pattern. Don't be confused if you were looking at my pictures. I made mine of scrap so the color changes I made are not part of the pattern.

Just carefully follow the instructions and it is not difficult to do. The final product is always so beautiful. It just looks hard.

Hello all.

I just bought the pattern for the Cathedral Window for $6.99 (thanks annie's attic homepage) and found this blog. Thought it would be fun to join and see how well everyone progresses. I know this is going to be a challenge, I'm making this afghan as a a baby blanket for someone. Its amazing, and beautiful this should be fun.

Archived