Cathedral Window-CAL

Chatty

Wow Heather, I'm jelious. :) You are getting them done so fast. I get tired of working on the one that I'm doing. And here you are working on two at the same time...I don't think I could do that.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got to agree, Heather. I'm amazed at how fast you're working on both of them! I'm currently on the second completely black round, so only 3 or 4 more rounds until my second set of popcorns.

I got my pattern!!! :yay It's awesome!!! I had it out of the envelope before I got back into the house yesterday afternoon. Now, I have to start thinking about colors. I scrolled through the posts here and looked at many of the pictures. I saw so many different color combinations and they are all gorgeous! Decisions, decisions.....:?

I got my pattern!!! :yay It's awesome!!! I had it out of the envelope before I got back into the house yesterday afternoon. Now, I have to start thinking about colors. I scrolled through the posts here and looked at many of the pictures. I saw so many different color combinations and they are all gorgeous! Decisions, decisions.....:?

Picking the colors is the hardest part! DH and I were in the store for a long time before he decided on colors.

I've been excited to get them done and working hard on them but I'm starting to slow down :) I know I'll have to take a week off of them soon so I can get more energy for them. The 2nd set of columns and the black around them about killed me :eek I thought I would never get that done :lol

Yes picking the colors out are hard. I want to do another one with different colors but think probably not :lol

Well I have the pattern and the yarn and want to start, but we are going on vacation in a week and I am getting ready for that. I know that I will have to concentrate on this pattern, so I am having to wait until I get back. Boo hoo:( I so want to start this, my fingers are itching and I keep dreaming about doing this one. I seem to be obessed with this pattern- is soemthing wrong with me:think

Well I have the pattern and the yarn and want to start, but we are going on vacation in a week and I am getting ready for that. I know that I will have to concentrate on this pattern, so I am having to wait until I get back. Boo hoo:( I so want to start this, my fingers are itching and I keep dreaming about doing this one. I seem to be obessed with this pattern- is soemthing wrong with me:think

If you need a transportable pattern for the trip, take this, and work on the small and large heptagons. Those are easy to take along, and you'll be glad that you have some done ahead of time!

I spent HOURS picking out colors... online... michael's, joanns... that was almost the toughest part!

If you need a transportable pattern for the trip, take this, and work on the small and large heptagons. Those are easy to take along, and you'll be glad that you have some done ahead of time!

Agreed! I did all my large heptagons on the subway back and forth to work. I'm planning on doing the same with the 32 small ones.

That sounds like a wonderful idea. I'll give it a try. One question though-did you have to change the pattern at all. I have tried to go though this cal, but haven't had time to read all of it.

That sounds like a wonderful idea. I'll give it a try. One question though-did you have to change the pattern at all. I have tried to go though this cal, but haven't had time to read all of it.

Reading the whole CAL might take weeks! Here's the tips I used that helped me along so far:

This website has a correction for the first section plus a lot of general tips and pictures:

http://www.precision-guesswork.com/cathedral-cal.html

Tbird posted this as an alternative of making all the triangles in the first section separately:

Here's how I crocheted the triangles. The "meat" of the trianglesoccurs in the second row, as it's written in the pattern: "sl st in first 3 ch, sc in next 2 ch, hdc in next 2 ch, dc in next 4 ch, hdc in next 2 ch, sc in next 2 ch, sl st in last 3 ch." This is the row that gets stitched to the outer edge of the pentagons. Once I had my pentagons sewn on, I attached my black yarn so that I could start following the pattern directions at the tip of the pentagon. Then the pattern instructions become:

Starting at the tip of one of the pentagons, sl st in first three stitches of edging; sc in next 2 stitches; hdc in next 2 stitches; dc in next 4 stitches; hdc in next 2 stitches; sc in next 2 stitches; 3 sl st to get to next pentagon tip. Repeat 7 times, join back with sl st in original tip of pentagon.

To verify that you're doing it right, you should have made the first 2 double crochets "in front of" the join between the two pentagons, and the second 2 double crochets after the join.

Once you've finished this round, do another round of single crochet all the way around. This is the equivalent of the *first* row of the triangles as written in the original pattern. You should have 18 single crochets in every "segment" between the tip of one pentagon and the next.

I found a typo in Section 3, Round 7

I also found a typo when filling in the peaks and valleys. In Section 3, Round 7, part E: it says " ...dc in each of the next 9dc..." it should say dc in each of the next 7 dc.

Kathryn found a typo for the Fourth Section, Round 4:

Just found a typo you'll want to know about. Rnd 4 reads, Ch3, [dc in each of next 2 sts, dc dec, hdc in each of next 20 sts....

It actually is hdc in each of next 10. If you do it as 20, then the dc dec's don't work out in the right spot.

Hope this helps!

Criskad,

Thanks. I too have printed out the changes and now will go forward and start the afghan. Will try to post my progress. I am kinda intimidated with this one, :eekwhich is nuts because I have been crocheting for awhile, but it just looks so awesom that I feel kinda inferior. Crazy isn't it:think

My pleasure!

Trust me, this pattern is not hard! Some parts can be a pain in the neck, but its not hard. As long as you can do sc and dc, you can do this afghan!

Christina is right... you can do it! Funny, I just finished this, and it was a huge confidence booster. However, Dorothysgirls just sent me a baby afghan for the NICU that I"m collecting ghans for, and one was Krystal's daisy pattern. I just downloaded the pattern, and now I"m intimidated by That!

Christina is right... you can do it! Funny, I just finished this, and it was a huge confidence booster. However, Dorothysgirls just sent me a baby afghan for the NICU that I"m collecting ghans for, and one was Krystal's daisy pattern. I just downloaded the pattern, and now I"m intimidated by That!

Trust me, you can do it! I am making 2 of these for my twin sisters for Christmas, 40 squares each. So far I've done 64 of them...only 16 to go. The first one took me awhile but as you go along, you get faster. I've memorized the pattern by now. Sorry I haven't sent a ghan yet. Things have been busy. I'm working on it though!

Trust me, you can do it! I am making 2 of these for my twin sisters for Christmas, 40 squares each. So far I've done 64 of them...only 16 to go. The first one took me awhile but as you go along, you get faster. I've memorized the pattern by now. Sorry I haven't sent a ghan yet. Things have been busy. I'm working on it though!

Don't apologize.... life is busy for everyone. I"m just thrilled you keep the project in mind! Besides... as long as I get them by Thanksgiving week, it'll be good to go!

Glad to hear that they aren't as scary as I think they might be.... I just keep telling myself that if I did THIS afghan, I can do it!

dizzy~Christina is right. Its really not that hard. More just time consuming. And tedious. It must look hard even to non-crocheters. My mom saw it and was amazed that I was even thinking of giving it away. Although she has made me second guess that and I am now thinking of keeping it. :lol

dizzy~Christina is right. Its really not that hard. More just time consuming. And tedious. It must look hard even to non-crocheters. My mom saw it and was amazed that I was even thinking of giving it away. Although she has made me second guess that and I am now thinking of keeping it. :lol

Well this is the nite. I am officially going to start on this. I have been looking at my colors and wondering if I should change, but then thought -always go with your first instinct- so I am taking the plunge. :clap

Well this is the nite. I am officially going to start on this. I have been looking at my colors and wondering if I should change, but then thought -always go with your first instinct- so I am taking the plunge. :clap

Welcome to the dark side! :lol

Archived