Cathedral Window-CAL

Chatty

Poor Pam- gosh, what to say ? Would the difference in the dye lots be really majorly noticeable if they are in different "sections" , you know ?

Like if they were a little off the original and they were in different block areas, would it look bad ?

What about adding another solid color in the next section ? Would that help ?

By the way, i believe I'm gonna be having a dilemma of my own here by tomorrow. I am making the black triangles before putting the first section together, and made the mistake of reading the directions that come after that-- Maybe my old brain is just tired tonite, but I don't get it .

I'll wake up tomorrow and try it again and see if it makes more sense.

If I have any advice up to this point --- to anyone who has yet to start-- DON'T read ahead, only read the part you are currently working on ,or it is overwhelming .

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep.. I already thought of all those things. :lol

Even have made up a variety of shapes in the new print, a couple solids.. not liken them.

The best-est thing happened. A C'ville member sent me a PM offering a trade .. she has some Emb print...saddly it's not the one I need.. BUT this just makes me feel so good.. sorta sets things in a new light ya know. :hug

So I have now discovered more of my stash is the right one.. but still not enough...BUT it does make frogging this seem more reasonable...

stashbag.jpg

Yes.. that's the right color.:hook

I made it up just to be doing something useful one time. All it's for is holding an unfinished afghan.. the bits , pieces and pattern. Since I'm never short on things like that. :lol

Now I can more easily either continue seeking what I need at shops a bit further from my house..and may work on dealing directly with the company.. you know I will not be the first person with this problem.. the change in colors about a year ago is pretty dramatic. :eek

Now.. About YOUR CRW.. don' worry. I flew through the exact part your worried about the first time. Beginners luck maybe ? I think I was more careful about the perfect number of stitches on the outside edge of the black triangles.. :think

That's exactly here I am now.. again, again, again.. on this new one. I mucked up someplace back there.. and WILL fudge enough to get through it..

Starting a fourth one this early in the game might not be the best move. :faint

Pam

I am so sorry that happened..will you have enough now or did you start another...what colors this time??

Julie

I didn't do the triangles...i just went around like some of the other ladies did,so mush easier and faster.

Like This....

Once I had my pentagons sewn on, I attached my black yarn so that I could start following the pattern directions at the tip of the pentagon. Then the pattern instructions become:

Starting at the tip of one of the pentagons, sl st in first three stitches of edging; sc in next 2 stitches; hdc in next 2 stitches; dc in next 4 stitches; hdc in next 2 stitches; sc in next 2 stitches; 3 sl st to get to next pentagon tip. Repeat 7 times, join back with sl st in original tip of pentagon.

To verify that you're doing it right, you should have made the first 2 double crochets "in front of" the join between the two pentagons, and the second 2 double crochets after the join.

Once you've finished this round, do another round of single crochet all the way around. You should have 18 single crochets in every "segment" between the tip of one pentagon and the next.

Pam

I know your pain. I started an afghan a while ago with the old embroidery print and couldnt find the last skein that I knew I had. (Ive since found it) I ordered more of it only to find that it was so similar and yet so different.

Shay

My daughter was looking at this forum over my shoulder and saw your CRW with the painted desert and red. She pointed to it and told me that she wanted THAT one. <chuckles>

Im finding that it is VERY hard to sew the dark breen (black) stitches of the pentagons together. I know the numbers are right but they never seem to line up.

I think Im going to try to use your description of simply crocheting the triangles in place. I think that it would eliminate one piece of the darkness problem. I can see to crochet a bit better than seeing for a needle. I dont know why.

JulieKay how did yours turn out?

...and I rented Harry Potter for tonight <sigh>

Pam

I am so sorry that happened..will you have enough now or did you start another...what colors this time??

quote]

You know Shaylen...back there when we first met..you told me you were only an expert on starting multi-CRWs..little did we know, what a good student I would turn out to be. :bow

CRWstartwgemstone.jpg

:smilingnot luvin this one like my Emb print though...hoping it will grow on me...this one wobles ..I only did one strand on the hexs, due to avoiding wrist pain.. and now I see.. I happen to be one that prefers the 'boobs in the middle'. :lol

I just thought of something...

these changed at about the same time their white changed, due to the USA source of acrylic closing down. All the new acrylic now comes from Asia, I think it is ? The texture is completly differnt, and many of us are hoarding the bits of true old white we own. The company says they are trying to find a new source, and get a good white sometime in the future..so maybe the old embriodery print is another victum.. one we were unaware of till now? The colours are very different.

I remembered back two years ago.. when I was teaching myself how to crochet.. this old emb print is what I played with quite a bit. Soooo...that means there are swatches, a really badly made bag..and not sure what else..or where..if they are still here. Given time.. I might find enough bits and pieces....:lol Yes.. I will also figure out how to contact the company...worth a shot.

My new hobby is now collecting those bits and pieces. :eek

Lisa,

Boy.. I'm so happy to see you have my back on this. Unless you have both the old and new together.. one can not imagine how different they are.

Now.. About you daughters admiration of Shaylyn's colours.. You did offer crochet lessons to her.. right ? ;D

Hope yours is progressing beautifully, as I type here.

You TOO Julie ,:manyheart

I ordered this pattern before Christmas when I saw it was available. It came while I gone on vacation and I'm looking forward to getting started. This thread is just a wealth of information. I have an idea of what colors I want to use, it's going to be a matter of finding a variegated to go with them.

Nothing like an excuse to go yarn shopping! :lol

:hi Hi Pogo and welcome,

Picking colours can be the hardest part. :juggle

You might consider doing a few swatches before committing.. I found it all looks different once they are crocheted together....at least that's how I'm planning on deciding my next one. ;)

<giggles>

I did offer her crochet lessons. She grunted and went back to sleep ( she had just finished a 30 hour stretch at the hospital...a newly minted MD) She told me later that since I knew what I was doing. she would stick to knitting...nice kid!!!

Im still here...but this 'cold' was so debilitating that I slept most of the school's Christmas vacation. Im way behind on the afghans Im committed to making...4 more baby shower afghans and such.

I try to do a little bit on at least 2 projects a day...and Im oh so tempted by Julies new Star CAL.....

The pentagons are now sewn onto the octagon and they are all sewn together. Im going to try Shay's idea of crocheting the triangles directly onto the piece rather than making 8 and then sewing them on.

Wish me luck ( hiding the cough)

Lisa

You might consider doing a few swatches before committing.. I found it all looks different once they are crocheted together....at least that's how I'm planning on deciding my next one. ;)

I had considered that because I think I'm going to have a hard time finding a matching variegated. Friday will probably be the earliest I can get away to do a little shopping. Something to look forward to though. :)

Thanks for the welcome. Between work and family I don't have much time for crochet so I probably won't be moving along very fast but I'll be on here reading and watching everyone else's progress. The pictures I've seen posted so far are beautiful.

Hey guys

Just checking in to see how you all are coming. I had to set mine aside, since I have committed to 3 other afghansat the moment and they are easier than this one, so I go with easiest to complete, to get some of them out of the way .

Will step back into here once i get some of them wrapped up .

I have the old pattern from the book Award Winning Afghans. I see that AA has reissued the pattern with yarns and colors available now. I don't want to rebuy the pattern as I already have it, would it be against the rules to ask what the new yarn colors suggested are?

CrochetingBev

Lisa,

How cool about your daughter ! Proud Mama.. :D

Take care of that cold.. we will all be here when your ready..and then some. ;)

Julie,

thanks for checking in.. I was wondering.. we'll be here.

and Pogo .. Shopping tomorrow !! yeah.:cheer.Have fun.

I have the old pattern from the book Award Winning Afghans. I see that AA has reissued the pattern with yarns and colors available now. I don't want to rebuy the pattern as I already have it, would it be against the rules to ask what the new yarn colors suggested are?

CrochetingBev

I read somewhere that the older pattern has some errors in it. :(I saw a website that listed the corrections but didn't bookmark it because I'm buying the new one now that it's available. Maybe someone here knows.....?

Christina.. I'm betting there will be a bunch of you starting when those backordered..due Jan 11th. patterns get there.

And Shay...

Started any more CRWs ????:rofl

I'm only on # 3 and having trouble keeping up with you..:crocheting

Hi Tia,:hi

So far.. I have found no corrections included on the new pattern. Same first error is there..after that I've been using common sense, rather than checking the correction blog stuff. Sorry later ?? No idea.. everything is fitting.

If you use the link to my blog.. in my siggie.. I have included all the links so far, concerning our CRW.

Let me know when you find more.and I'll add these too.

:hookGood Morning all you crocheters out there,:crocheting

The link to the corrections and MUCH more is

http://www.precision-guesswork.com/cathedral-cal.html

I book marked this and I have printed it out.

Well, section 1 is officially finished. I had to sew up little gaps here and there but it looks nicer than I ever thought it would. I have decided to take a photograph at the end of each completed section. (Will post it here just as soon as I get it uploaded to the computer.)

have an excelent day

Hi Tia,:hi

So far.. I have found no corrections included on the new pattern. Same first error is there..

:eek

I find this disturbing...isn't that why it took them months to get this pattern back in circulation, because they needed to fix the errors???:think

Isserlie: thanks for the link to the corrections!!!:hug

PlaidKitty: I'll have a look at your links too, thanks a bunch!!!:manyheart

Archived