Cathedral Window-CAL

Chatty

Kristina, kudos on the book. What will you be working on?
I just finished one on bathing suits and cover-ups. Just finished, as in today. They have asked that I do some ponchos and such. I've been working on this one out of #10 thread with a no 10 hk. :( Wow. (Where's the cross eyed smiley when you need him?) It's taken me forever. I'm glad I started on it early. It looks like a giant doily with pineapples. I want to do a book with ponchos with matching outfits. I want to mix some different fiber threads and yarns. I think what I have in mind will work. We'll see how that goes. Once again, I'm biting off a big chunk. You all make such gorgeous shawls that it would be great for you all to get together to make a book out of your patterns. You gals inspire me!:manyheart

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stacy, that is absolutely gorgeous!!! I love your color choices.

I want to do this so badly but can't find the pattern everywhere. I'll keep looking. I even asked on Freecycle. Two women responded but no one had it :( I'll just have to watch y'all and cheer you on. :cheer

Diamond, what is the colors and name of yarn that you have for the catheral afghan? My picture is of black and white.I am going to get the yarn this weekend I think and get started.

sondra

Sondra, I emailed you!

Thanks guys for the compliments! Im glad the center is finished. It wasnt "that" fun. But round and round we go is going... :hook \

I'm using RH Ocean for the light and RH shaded blues for the dark.If this turns out well I may slip off into some of yalls more "elegant" yarns and make another.. and another.... and another....

Hugs!

Okey you all are driving me crazy, where are you getting this pattern, it looks so incredible I would like to join in on this somehow.

Mary

Ok put me down as joining. I now understand why so many people do variations of blue. For the life of me I can not find two varigated red/orange/yellow tones in this town. Guess I'll be ordering my light color... No starting for me for awhile (egads! not until AFTER my vacation--the 16th!!)

Jen

Ok put me down as joining. I now understand why so many people do variations of blue. For the life of me I can not find two varigated red/orange/yellow tones in this town. Guess I'll be ordering my light color... No starting for me for awhile (egads! not until AFTER my vacation--the 16th!!)

Jen

Wow - those are the same colors I'm planning to do my Cathedral in, as soon as I can a) find the yarn b) afford the yarn and c) have the time! Do post what you get and where from when you find it, okay?

Depending on availability and quality of the materials, I have also been contemplating dying my own variegateds - but that puts my schedule even further away, as I first have to learn to dye, lol! Sure am ambitious, though... :lol

I'm subscribed and following this thread, will join in as soon as I'm ready to start this project. I can hardly wait to see everybody's project, especially the shawl! Oh, and Kimberly: I can tell you now that you will absolutely LOVE the Knit Picks yarn. I adore their laceweight, wish I could get about 20 hanks of each color of both the Alpaca Cloud and Shimmer! How's that for a yarn addict!? What colors did you pick? I'm assuming you're getting the Shimmer, since that's the variegated one... I'm nearly finished with a Seraphina in the Morning Mist, hoping to be ready to post it on Show and Tell within the next few weeks.

Oh, and while I'm on the subject of yarn - what is everybody using, what brand/type and what colors? Is everyone doing the blues/purples for their variegated? Enquiring minds would like to know! :hook

I chose the TLC Essentials Water Lily as my light and their Twilight as my dark. It's going to be really interesting to see how everyone's choices work up ... we'll have some gorgeous and very individual works of art coming out of this CAL.

What are you all doing with your Cathedral afghans when they are complete? I'd be almost afraid to use it, considering all the time that it's going to take. Maybe I'll use it in the spare room where it can be displayed but not abused by kids and dogs. Don't think I would ever give it away as a gift :blush

wow...sounds like you all have chosen some awesome colors. I will have to post mine.

I am using knitpicks shimmer for the variegated

http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/yarn_Display.aspx?itemid=5420112

Using stained glass for the dark and

turquoise splendor for the light

then chose

alpaca cloud in

black and smoke for the other colors.

I was afraid to make it the blanket and opted for the shawl idea as I have 1 large dog who likes to sleep on beds, 3 cats who like to bury underneath the blankeys on any bed, and the 5 kids who still aren't up to the appreciation of the work it would take to finish the blanket. So......perhaps if I do make it as a blanket it would be for a gift or later in life for me ggg.

Is there a way to mount this thing on a wall????????

OK I know that this is going to sound like a weird question, but my pattern mags are arranged by size not source at this time. So is the leaflet full sized (8 1/2 x 11) or half size (5.5 x 8)? I have a file cabinet full of patterns and the size will save me MUCH time looking for it. Thanks in advance.

OK I know that this is going to sound like a weird question, but my pattern mags are arranged by size not source at this time. So is the leaflet full sized (8 1/2 x 11) or half size (5.5 x 8)? I have a file cabinet full of patterns and the size will save me MUCH time looking for it. Thanks in advance.

It's a full-sized booklet.

WooHoo!! Just got back from Hobby Lobby with my yarn and will be starting on Cathedral Window this evening - I can hardly wait!! I chose RH Viva for the light varigated, and am using RH Amethyst in leu of the dark varigated...I seriously debated using an RH varigated (can't remember the name at the moment!) with barn red, greens, and rusts with RH Barn Red, but decided the Viva was my favorite, so I will do this one first, and if I can stand to make another one, I will go with the other colors next time...I also seriously debated doing a rainbow effect with solids (Red in the center, shading through the rainbow out to purple on the outside), but decided against that too... yet another WIM! It is so wonderful to have you guys and gals give me so much inspiration!!! :hook

Well, after working up the center (it is beautiful, if I do say so myself!) and starting the pentagons, Amethyst just wasn't looking like I wanted it to, so I made a run back to HL this morning and got something I like much better! I had gone with one strand with the G hood for the pentagons - I guess I crochet more on the tight side. There was no way I could get 11 dc's in that little circle - I could barely get my hook in there!! Anyway, I found RH Sport in "Limeade" which is a perfect match for the green in Viva. I am using a double strand of this with the G hook and it is coming out great! Will post pics as soon as I get the center portion done!

Nobody was trying to be mean or stingy by not offering to sell copies of the pattern; they were trying not to get into legal hot water, and many of us have tried to help others find copies of this pattern. This was discussed in another thread, and I'll quote a response there:

Legally, it's not ok to copy the pattern & share it. It's still an infringement on copyright laws. Copyrights apply for more than the lifetime of the designer, plus some. Just because the pattern is no longer in print doesn't mean it's no longer protected under copyright laws. If you do share this pattern, don't announce it in a public forum!

Any website that is offering to sell ... not just share between friends, but sell ... copies of this booklet/afghan pattern is asking for more legal trouble than they want to handle, and if Annie's Attic gets wind of it they'll be some mighty unhappy people. Folks may share patterns privately (and a lot of us do) but openly violating copyright laws by selling something owned by someone else is about as silly as shoplifting in front of a cop IMHO :)

here is a IMHO--- Do not try using RH "dusk" yarn for this project. The coloring is way to dark in the blues for justice to be given to the black outlining. I'm going to try to find a better dark varigated tomorrow. Anyone have a good RH color to suggest going with my light color (RH ocean)?

Archived