Cathedral Window-CAL

Chatty

I'll be trying to work on a page later today for this thing. I'll post the names of the ones joining and a gallery for pics. I know we won't need the gallery anytime soon but we do need a page to link to.

:frog

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am curious about the colors as well. Dark varigated and Light varigated. I was thinking about a blue varigated... what color choice would look good with that? a multi?purples? hmmm... thoughts?:think

The orginal pattern calls for lt variegated (such as Red Heart Ocean) and a dark variegated (such as Red Heart Gemstone-purples, black, maroon, teals). These are the colors I'm using. So, blues & purple variegateds.

I know exactly what you mean, Elizabeth; I've spent the past two days poring over yarn sites trying to find some pretty variegateds that are at least halfway affordable. I think I'm going to end up using the TLC Essentials; it's not gorgeous hand-dyed wool which is what a work of art like this deserves, but it's got some nice colorways and I can afford it ;)

I have a question about this.....a friend thought this would make a beautiful shawl....soooo...what do you think of this being worked up in a lace weight type yarn and then made into a shawl? Do you think it's do-able? If so, I just might be up for the challenge if I can find the right yarn.

so......what's your input?

^I don't see why you couldn't try, I bet it'd make a beautiful shawl.

I've posted a list of who I think is joining in my first post so if you aren't tell me and I'll remove you and if you are and aren't on it I'll add you.

I have a question about this.....a friend thought this would make a beautiful shawl....soooo...what do you think of this being worked up in a lace weight type yarn and then made into a shawl? Do you think it's do-able? If so, I just might be up for the challenge if I can find the right yarn.

WOW! I had never thought of that but I can picture it being a shawl! I think it's do-able for sure. It would have to be a really light weight yarn like mohair. I hope you try it cuz I would love to see it!

Fantastic idea! It would make a great table cloth too.

I remember seeing this afghan pattern many years ago. Sadly, I did not purchase it. And seeing it again makes me really want to make one, too. I've already done some looking and it doesn't appear that I will be able to procure the pattern anytime soon. But thanks to the photos that a couple of you linked to, I was able to enlarge parts of them and decipher a large portion of it. And I think that I will be able to figure out a pretty good replica on my own. I'm not planning on participating in CAL since it may not be exact, but my question is this (and hopefully it is not a silly question): Would it be considered a copyright infringement to copy a pattern from a photo?

I can't believe it!! I was thinking the same thing about a shawl!!:eek Instead of doing a complete circle, I was thinking about taking a slice out and making only a 3/4 circle. I would also need to take part of the center area out for the neck. I was wanting to go with something in lighter weight. With the weather I have I would sufficate under acrylic or anything heavy.

I am currently looking at knitpicks.com and their lace weight yarns in yummy alpaca and silk. I am trying to decide my colors and then will order. I like the idea of only doing half of it although you could still do the whole circle and fold it in half for extra warmth for those who might need it.

I can't believe it!! I was thinking the same thing about a shawl!!:eek Instead of doing a complete circle, I was thinking about taking a slice out and making only a 3/4 circle. I would also need to take part of the center area out for the neck. I was wanting to go with something in lighter weight. With the weather I have I would sufficate under acrylic or anything heavy.

LOL ... I had the shawl thought too, actually laid awake thinking about it last night; I agree about taking a slice out and making it about a 3/4 circle, and I think you'd need to start that process partway through the center hex. I even looked at heavier threads and laceweight yarns today before reality slapped me upside the head. I'm going to make the afghan first, and then if I have it left in me I'll make the shawl ... and I'll know what it looks like because ya'll will have done it already!!

So I started this CAL today. heres a question. In the first section, when you make the pentagon, is it using a G hook, and both rolls of color B? that just seems a bit much for a G hook?

Exactly what I was told. I am doing that part with G and just one strand, and it has been turning out just fine. I don't know why you would use 2 strands :think , but 1 looks just as good. :hook

Exactly what I was told. I am doing that part with G and just one strand, and it has been turning out just fine. I don't know why you would use 2 strands :think , but 1 looks just as good. :hook

It uses 2 strands because those parts are raised up. It's a very cool 3-D effect. :bounce

I'm so glad I haven't worked on mine today and gotten to that part yet otherwise I'd be doing the :frog dance! Thanx, Drew, for the info!!

Thanks Drew, I was wondering about that myself but went ahead and used 2 strands.

We might be picking your brain some more before it's over with ;) hope you're ready :hook

:( I want some verigated yarn so I can start. I would run and get some but I don't think it would be fun running with 3 kids in the pouring rain. I will probably have to wait until thursday when I have to go to Michael's for my cake decorating class, which I have to walk down the yarn aisle to get to it which is pure torture. My work actually pays for the cake class just not for the yarn purchases I "have" to get when I am there.

I'll do my best to help. :tryme

Just knowing we have someone who's done it and lived through the process and is willing to answer questions is SUCH a relief to me! This will be by far the biggest/most complicated project I've taken on, and it's very scary with all the color changes and piecing together different shapes and such.

Archived