Does Crocheting cause Arthritis?

I am not able to answer your question definitively but... my impression is that if you already have arthritis or arthritic tendencies crocheting too much might set off a flare. I have found that to be the case for me, but it didn't cause my arthritis to begin with. As to whether it could cause athritis or not, I really don't know for sure but I rather doubt it. It can, however, cause inflammation and joint pain due to repetitive motion injuries.

Maybe someone with some real medical knowledge can answer your question better than I.

• Thanks 1

but by the same token, it is important to keep working your hands if you can. My arthritis started 30 years ago but I think my continuous working of my fingers (in large motor activity) has kept me from many of the problems.

Now I did just have to rest my wrists for a week with tensor supports but I am back at strength. not that that was arthritic in nature of course. :wlol

• Like 1

I think whether you have arthritis has more to do with genetics or injury than anything else. But like the others have mentioned, moderate movement helps to keep joints as flexible as possible. I have had to modify how I "DO" some of my crafts as the strength and mobility in my hands and wrists are diminishing. But I have no intention of giving up any of my crafts until I am as "stiff as a stick" (LOL).

• Like 2

I crochet to prevent the loss of use of my hands. I am limited already but I am positive if I didn't stick with working through crochet, my hands would be MUCH worse off than they are. I have Ehlers-Danlos so the collagen throughout my body is broken down.

• Like 1

I suffer from tendonitis, so I have to give my self breaks while crocheting, unless I want to end up not crocheting for the next 3 weeks. I literally do 15 minutes at a time with 15-minute breaks in between. Usually I time this while watching TV, as commercials tend to come on about eveery 15 minutes.

Not sure about arthritis. I have heard that it's better to keep moving with arthritis. I used to know a lady in my hometown that was in her 80s, but still walked every day. She explained to my mother that if she didn't walk daily, she would stiffen up.

• Like 1

Well, Grammie Essa, how about crochet as a reward for getting up and moving? Make yourself (if you are physically healthy enough) get up and take a 20-30 min walk each day. Inside or outside depending on weather. There are videos/DVD's available to purchase that look like outside if you find yourself trapped indoors.

If you don't get your walk in, you don't get to crochet. Sounds harsh I know, but I use this system with myself. I would rather do fun stuff than clean house. I make myself do one task and then I get a reward. :) Keeps things from piling up around here. :)

Just sharing an idea with you.

• 1 month later...
I know that it will make tendonitis flare up! Ouch!!

Writing with a pencil does that to me... If I keep to the keyboard and stay away from pencils of any sort... (Which is kinda a bummer because I like to draw with colored pencils) I don't get tendinitis flare ups.

It helps that I do not hold my hook like a pencil.

I have rheumatoid arthritis. I actually do better when I crochet regularly. I think it keeps my wrists and fingers from getting stiff. Of course I take breaks and stop if it gets painful.

I don't think crocheting causes it more then anythign else. I usually don't move my ring and little finger too much when I crochet, so that can be a problem. I've noticed my right hand my little finger is acting up and hurting or getting stiff from my scroll mouse at work (I think). My little finger rests on the side and it's not very natural. I've been doing finger exercises (for both my hands) for a while now and it's better. Constant movement can help with anything, I think.

Debbi

• 10 years later...

I had De Quervain tenosynovitis (di-kwer-VAYN ten-oh-sin-oh-VY-tis). It's form making repetitive wrist/hand movements. Examples: typing, texting, racquet sports, crocheting/knitting. Causes wrist and thumb pain. I had it and had to use elastic hand support, ice packs and pain pills. I was told not to lift anything heavy and NO CROCHET for a week  :eek . Ask your doctor and take precautions (listed above) because it can become something worse. 

Ellie 13