mrsdand

hats....the end of me!!!! please help!

Question

can someone tell me what on earth I am doing wrong?

I have tried 3 different patterns now, multiple times.

I always do the gauge first (which always tells me that my stitches are too tight and i always end up going up a hook size) but somehow one of 3 things happen:

1) the hat comes out very small. (maybe I have a big head!)

2) the stitches get all knotted up (using chenille and cotton double strands for the easiest beginner hat in my beginner hat book!)

3) I can't get 24 DC stitches in the 4ch loop to even get started right.

can someone point me in the direction of a true beginner hat pattern so I can get over my anxiety about trying to get one right!

thanks! :P

9 answers to this question

:cheerSounds like you do not have a good pattern to start off with.

It would be almost impossible to get 24 stitches neatly into one CH so what I would do is start off with CH4, sl st to the first CH to form a loop, CH3 than work 11 more DCs into the loop. Join with a SL ST, CH3, work one DC into base of CH3, now work 2DC into each of the 11DC to the end of the round. Join.

You will now have 24 DC and can continue following the pattern.

:eekI am not a fan of double thread because it makes my hand sore, working with a large hook and thick yarn.

Hope this helps a little.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Go to crochetpatterncenteral and under the tutorials look for magic ring.

That's the way to go!

Donna

I wouldn't advise a beginner to work with a double strand in the first place. And especially not chenille and cotton, you don't want to double strand 'grabby' yarn like that. Not sure what the designer was thinking, except to sell more yarn.

Here is a good site to bookmark, this is the index page and there are great tips here. "working in the round" tells you how to make the magic adjustable ring, and below that she gives a tutorial on hat-making, including how to determine the diameter of the circle you need for it to fit right.

http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/index.htm

thank you! thank you!

I am going to try again with your help, friends. :cheer

Well as a beginner I would not make a hat with that thick lion brand chennile if that's what you mean. I found it too thick to work with when I started so I used this pattern with worsted weight yarn and it comes out perfect every time. For me in round 5 I don't add any more stitches and it fits good, I have a smallish head but try it on at that point and see if you need more stitches. Mary

2312152150035973728S200x200Q85.jpg

2103138670035973728S200x200Q85.jpg

so excited to try these patterns! thanks again! :)

If you need help post, she has some great patterns on the site. The one I did whipped up in no time and I did them for gifts. Mary

If you need help post, she has some great patterns on the site. The one I did whipped up in no time and I did them for gifts. Mary

thank you again! I love the one you made in white with pink...so pretty! :)