snowbird74365

crochet thread help

i am needing help with trying to enlarge a pattern from a doily to a tablecloth. it is an elegant frost doily pattern. it is round. i am still trying to figure out filet crochet with the thread to do a table cloth, not understanding how to do it. i am a first timer on thread crochet. any help is appreciated.

There are several ways to enlarge a doily pattern into a tablecloth pattern. (1) Make numerous thread doilies (motifs) and attach them as you see fit. (2) Use yarn instead of thread. You might still have to add rows at the end in order to make it the size you want.

It depends on what kind of yarn you use. Certainly I'd try something thinner than worsted weight. You can possibly flatten it further by ironing the finished product. (Put a towel in between the iron and the yarn.)

Try a swatch with potential yarns and see if it meets your needs.

What thread, hook, and dimension does your Elegant Frost doily call out? How big of a tablecloth are you aiming for? If it is, say, 20", and you are looking to expand it to 36", that might be possible with larger thread and/or hook without being too sloppy looking.

Designing or redesiging doilies is tricky (assuming this is done in the round,). You need to make sure that the doily or tablecloth will lie flat, that you are planning ahead in the current rows for patterns in the rows above, etc.

I strongly recommend, since you are new to thread, that you make the doily as a centerpiece to your table. If you want to make a tablecloth as your second project, pick a different pattern for a tablecloth with the dimension you need. A tablecloth is a HUGE project, I have been a threadie for decades and have never considered doing a dining-table-sized one, and would not recommend a tablecloth as a first thread project, let alone design one.

I agree with Granny Square; a tablecloth is probably not the best project when you are just starting with thread. Make a doily or two first to get the feel of it then, when you are ready, find a tablecloth pattern. There are many beautiful ones available. I have found some real beauties in old pattern books.

If you are intent on making a tablecloth you could work with Luster Sheen by Read Heart. I made a lovely 55 inch round Pineapple Tablecloth out of Luster Sheen years ago. The pattern was designed for that yarn so there was no guesswork.

http://www.yarn-and-threadbylisa.com/Yarns/Red%20Heart%20Yarns/luster_sheen.htm

I have no idea what Luster Sheen patterns might be available today, but it might be worth checking around. My booklet is from 1980 and it titled "All Time Favorites Coats & Clark Book No.285"

Hope that helps.