Crocheted Rosary with Shell Cross

marikamum

Here it is, I am trying to get some better pics, but this is what I have for now. Done in 4 ply cotton (Sullivan's, I think) with a 2 mm hook:

Clickable pics:

th_DSC04370.jpg

Full view

th_DSC04375.jpg

Cross detail

th_DSC04376.jpg

Bead and chain detail

What a very lovely rosary!! Beautiful job!! In the ministry that I am in (in my church), we make our own rosaries out of beads and twine. I haven't quite learned how to make these rosaries. One of our deacons was going to show me how to make them, but since his wife passed away, he resigned and I hardly ever see him now. Your crochet one is a really nice idea!! :manyheart

What a very lovely rosary!! Beautiful job!! In the ministry that I am in (in my church), we make our own rosaries out of beads and twine. I haven't quite learned how to make these rosaries. One of our deacons was going to show me how to make them, but since his wife passed away, he resigned and I hardly ever see him now. Your crochet one is a really nice idea!! :manyheart

Thanks!

I can't lay claim to an original idea as I made the rosary based on a physical example given to me by one of my students. Her friend had purchased it at a market in Queensland with no further contact information.

You could also adapt the idea to crocheting actual beads into the rosary. If I have time after Christmas and there is interest, I might try writing a pattern for a bead-crocheted rosary.

There are some instructions on line for twine and bead rosaries, I think, I think I ran into them when looking for all-crocheted rosaries. My kids are clamouring for computer use now, but if you want, I can try to look up those links when it is quieter...

Cheers,

• 3 months later...
Can I have the pattern?

Unfortunately, as I derived the design of the cross piece from a finished object made by someone else, I am unable to offer a pattern for that piece.

If you are interested in the pattern for the necklace/ 5 decade rosary part to attach to your favourite cross design, please email me or pm me through my username and specify whether you prefer American or US/Australian terms, and include your email address.

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...

Archived