Would you ...

start a pattern, a pattern for something BIG no less that's going to take a metric buttload of yarn, that makes you go EEEEEEK omg can I do this???? when you look at it and read through it?

I ran across the most beautiful afghan I've ever, ever seen, but wow is it complicated; even the woman who made the one I saw said it was really hard. She IS making it again though .. and she did offer assistance if I get stuck on it ... but she warned me up front that it's the hardest thing she ever did. BUT it's gorgeous. GORGEOUS. Completely and totally droolworthy. It's the Sean Connery of afghans (and even my 22 year old daughter thinks Sean Connery is hot, without even the "for an old guy" disclaimer attached!).

So do I throw caution to the winds and go for it? I'm completely conflicted on this. I'm on a strict budget so I hate to spend the money on yarn for something I'm not going to be able to do ... but omg if I could ... gaaah. Someone make up my mind!

Yes, Lani! Go for it. I am making a Cathedral Window Afghan and it's stunning but also very complicated and uses lots of yarn. It'll always be in your mind to make that afghan. So what if it takes forever & a year, at least you'll have made it.

I LOVE that afghan. There's no way I'm going to attempt it anytime soon, but that's because I'm chicken and don't use yarn often. Be brave, jump in with both feet (so to speak) and it sounds like you'll have plenty of help!!

Besides, you know you'll always have a big cheering section! :cheer

Lani.....U CAN DO IT!!!

Just work on it when ya can, and know that you will be working on ur masterpiece! How accomplished you will feel when its completed. Remember keep your chin up and dont get discouraged as that sometimes happens with large projects!

Go for it....:cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer

Okay ladies and gents - I HAVE to find this pattern....Where did you find it?? I didn't see it on Annie's Attic site, so any more ideas?? Wow - that is toooo beautiful!!!!!

Me too! :manyheart:hook

That is one gorgeous masterpiece, definitely worth making!

Okay ladies and gents - I HAVE to find this pattern....Where did you find it?? I didn't see it on Annie's Attic site, so any more ideas?? Wow - that is toooo beautiful!!!!!

It took me forever to find this pattern. I finally got it on Ebay and paid $60 for the book but once I got the book, I was extremely happy I didn't stop bidding. There are so many OUTRAGEOUS afghans in it. I want to make them all. I'm doing mine in Caron's Simply Soft (absolutely love this yarn) and in basically the same colors as on the Craftster site. It's an older pattern that is no longer in print. It's a Annie's Attic booklet called 'Award Winning Afghans'. There's a stock # 8788301 in top right corner. There's 3 dates on editorial page; 1994, 1996 and 1997. There's about 10 patterns in the booklet and each one is just as beautiful as all the others. Good luck in finding it!

The book has been out of print for a LONG time; I looked on eBay with no luck and I even contacted the Annie's Attic people and they were no help whatsoever. What I did was find someone who had the pattern and was willing to scan it in and send me the PDF. I don't know whether sharing patterns that way is considered OK or not here ... we figured that since it's out of print and impossible to find, and she wasn't selling it, it was no different than her loaning me the booklet and me making a photocopy. Justification? Maybe. But she did send me ONLY this pattern, not the whole book. If it is an OK thing to do, I'd be happy to share the .pdf file PRIVATELY with you guys via email. Maybe one of the C'ville mods can tell me what the policy is on that?

PS -- $60??? wow .. but you know, if I'd been lucky enough to find it I'd have paid that much for the whole book too. I'm still looking for it, just to get the other afghans in it.

The book has been out of print for a LONG time; I looked on eBay with no luck and I even contacted the Annie's Attic people and they were no help whatsoever. What I did was find someone who had the pattern and was willing to scan it in and send me the PDF. I don't know whether sharing patterns that way is considered OK or not here ... we figured that since it's out of print and impossible to find, and she wasn't selling it, it was no different than her loaning me the booklet and me making a photocopy. Justification? Maybe. But she did send me ONLY this pattern, not the whole book. If it is an OK thing to do, I'd be happy to share the .pdf file PRIVATELY with you guys via email. Maybe one of the C'ville mods can tell me what the policy is on that?

PS -- $60??? wow .. but you know, if I'd been lucky enough to find it I'd have paid that much for the whole book too. I'm still looking for it, just to get the other afghans in it.

Legally, it's not ok to copy the pattern & share it. It's still an infringement on copyright laws. Copyrights apply for more than the lifetime of the designer, plus some. Just because the pattern is no longer in print doesn't mean it's no longer protected under copyright laws. If you do share this pattern, don't announce it in a public forum!

I've never been one who was much into doing afghans. I've only done one lapghan my whole life. I just don't have the patience for it, BUT I do have lots of patterns I've collected over the years. This is one pattern that I would really enjoy doing. I LOVE the colors and vibrancey of it all. If anyone sees this pattern for sale, I would love to know. I want this!

Lani,

It seems like everyone got away from your question. Main thing is what does the afghan look like?

Here are the questions you need to ask yourself.

Even though it is a beautiful afghan, do you have the patience to take your time and not rush the pattern?

Do you have the temperment not to get upset when you have to frog a few rows, because you made a mistake 3 to 5 rows down?

Most of all, do you want to spend your budget on one afghan?

Can you buy the yarns as you go along, instead of buying it all at once?

Now if you can answer yes to these questions, then go for it, otherwise I would wait.

Hope this helps. You are really the only one that can decide.

Now the :devil advicate will go and see what other trouble I can get into.:hook

Yes, she's doing the Cathedral Rose Window Afghan as I am. (She PM'd me & told me so.) And so you know, although the afghan does look intimidating and looks as if it uses tons of yarn ($) it really doesn't. It only takes 33 oz lt. variegated, 11 oz dk variegated, 38 oz black (very intimidating) and 3 oz of white. That's it. It doesn't even compare to some of the afghans in the book which takes 15-20 different colors and the "Hunting Season Afghan" takes 31 different colors (sport yarns & tapestry yarns).

Ok, I jumped in the water and officially announced a Cathedral Window CAL in the CAL forum. I've even made a button just in case there are actually any takers for this gorgeous monstrosity :hook

:frog

Archived