Crochet Tension Gadget

craftygal24

Hello my fellow crochet lovers! :hook

Due to my Cerebral Palsy, there are times when holding the yarn for a project as taut as I'd like just isn't doable. My significant other is wonderful and often doesn't mind helping me while I work. Though this has worked for us, I've been doing some research into a more independent solution to my problem. In my many trips to the search engine, I've had trouble finding something up until now. So, I thought I'd share this link with all of you -- perhaps it will help some of you who have Carpal Tunnel, Athritis or just plain hate hand cramping and want to keep hooking to get through those many holiday projects we all have. ;)

I came across this nifty little tool from dynamic living aids. It looks pretty simple to use and it's reasonably priced at just $11.95, I'm going to order one for myself and one for a friend. Hopefully, this link is useful to some of you! :)

www.dynamic-living.com/product/crochet-aid/#name_tabsHref

Happy Hooking Everyone! :hook:hug

Thank you SO much for this link. I've been doubling the yarn around my finger for several years now because I couldn't maintain a constant tension anymore. I had wondered what would happen in a few years. Now I don't have to worry. I can simply plan on the gadget as an aide if/when my arthritis worsens

again, thank you!!!!!!!:clap

Herrschner's has had this little thingie-bob- [yes that's a technical term] ;) for a couple years and it's only $6.99 for the budget conscious. I never tried it but it seems it would work about the same. Here is the description and link.

Cro-Knit

Your stitches will be more uniform and the yarn easier to handle—a great tool for beginning to advanced stitchers. Adjustable device works equally well with 2-, 3-, or 4-ply yarn. The Cro-Knit slips easily onto your finger and the plastic tension ring holds the yarn securely in place.

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious, has anyone actually tried one of these? I have CTS and nerve damage in both wrists so my hands get tired very quickly. I'm wondering how people feel about using it to get the proper amount of tension since, for me, that's all done by feel.

• 1 month later...

I vaguely remember trying something like this when I was knitting, and couldn't get on with it. I couldn't feel what was happening with the yarn. It must be good for some people though, and what a neat idea!

I find the problem is not only left-hand related (holding yarn) but right hand not being able to "pull" the yarn through if it's too taut. So for me, creating more/better tension on the yarn would actually make it harder for me to crochet because it would put more strain on my right hand. Ho hum.

I will watch to see what others say and hope to read some lovely success stories :)

Archived