Temperatures soar well past 100 and no water available at Pine ridge

rosa

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello I wanted to send this email as a thank you to crochetville and craftingforacause. I am at the college and am one of the few with access to an email account - I can not begin to tell you what a difference crafting for a cause has made in the lives of our families and children. We re very greatful and want you to know that every donation has been given to those in need regardless of who or where they might be. right now we aer workig with MIra to get a list of the elders who live far from any type of village. Now when you sign up for one of these elders please understand that correspondance will be limited - as they live 2-3 hours or more from the nearest telephone - or post office - thank you for helping us all - Samuel White Cloud

Samuel White Cloud, thanks for your note. I just learned about Pine Ridge this week and haven't sent anything yet. I've done a great deal of work on charity projects, though, and it is very nice to get positive feedback.

Crafting for a cause is so laid back - they just ask that you try to make one small thing a quarter, can be a dishcloth, a toy, what ever you choose - and if you can't make it for some reason you just let one of the list moms know - they are great - I love the group - one of the things I really like about it is they take care of their members as well as their charities. Wild Kitty

Here is a hat I am making for the Pine Ridge Elders Quarterly. It works up really quick. I am thinking of making a 'matching' scarf to go with it, too. So far I have one finished and another one almost done. I want to do some in other colors, too. If anyone is interested the pattern can be found here: Tri-Color Cloche. I posted this under 'Accesories'; but thought I'd share it here, too... since this is what I am making it for. And in case anyone else wanted to make some for Pine Ridge as well. :)

"]th_e54bcf65.jpg

Tina

This past week has not been nice here in the North Country temperatures dropped back down - below zero and with it came the snows. But the worst is to come - our heaviest snow month is generally March and honestly it is not warm enough to turn off the furnaces until late May - and we don't set tomatoes out in the garden until the first week of June. So while spring may be coming to the rest of the country it has not hit here yet! Lol:eek

Please encourage people you know to come and join us in this mission - remember you do not have to be a crocheter - you can sponsor an elder and send little care packages of crackers and mac and cheese - maybe a pair of mittens - maybe you can use a scissors and make the quilts that don't need sewing - or post a message on your local free cycle that you are asking for mittens and such - each and every single item is a help

:clap

Ms Kitty:cheer

I have not been able to post for a long time as my "internet reader" program was not working right - and as I am blind I could not hear the pages. I agree with Kitty - I love crafting for a cause - yes they help Pine Ridge but they have done so much to help their members as well - they really seem to care about each other - it is kind of a chit chatty group - but they have no rule about setting your email to read on the internet - lol - but I love getting mail so you know I get it all - We heard from our elder this week and she sent us a pair of beaded earring that she made herself - they are so beautiful - she is a grandma raising her grandchildren. I feel like I have made a very good friend - Rosa:laughroll

It is so cold here tonight, where we live in Colorado. All I could think about is everyone on Pine Ridge Reservation who have no electricity or heat. I went on to Weather.com to see what the weather is like where my elder lives and it is -5 tonight. I hope she has heat in her home. :cry

I would like to mention that at Crafting For A Cause we have an elder adoption program. You will be assigned an elder and you send items to your elder monthly. This has turned out to be a very rewarding project for the elder and the adoptie:yay :clap

You can call your elder or write back and forth. You find out about there life and they can learn a little about yours. Right now we have 65 elders adopted and many more on the list. So if you think this is something you might be interested in come aboard with us:ghug

I called my elder this weekend and talked to her - she said it was ten below zero - it is so cold here - and we have a furnace, I can not imagine if you don't have heat and only a kerosene heater what it must be like - if you can help in any way please do - Rosa

Rosa, it just breaks my heart that the folks on the reservation have to go through the cold with a kerosene heater. It is like we are hearing of a third world country, but this is the United States of America. I have sent my elder a laghan, wool scarf & hat and am working on a shawl. How I wish that I could do more. My elder is the same age as my parents, and I can't imagine them having to freeze like this. I hope that more Crochetville folks will decide to help out.

Hi everyone. I don't know if anyone is still making hats or scarves, but I thought I'd share a scarf pattern I made up to go with a free online hat pattern. You can find it on my pattern [/url]th_Picture405.jpg

I hope she likes the colors. But she hasn't written me yet, so I don't know... I also made her a soapsaver.

"]th_Picture425.jpg

I also made three more pairs of slippers:

"]th_2d4def40.jpg

"]th_d7e0cee5.jpg

I am working on another hat and have also finished a scarf that is knitted. :eek

:lol

Tina

I love the little bare tummy in the last picture, Tina. It hurts me that while our children have nice warm houses and can run around and play without being cold the little ones at Pine Ridge are in cold houses without adequate clothing. Every sweater, hat or afghan helps.

The above has really cured me of complaining about heating costs. I am still making hats and scarves. I understand it stays cold in S.D. pretty far into the spring. For those not familiar with Midwest weather, even in Chicago spring doesn't really start until April and where I went to college in Minnesota it's even later sometimes.

Here is some more info:

January is the coldest month, with average temperatures ranging from 10 degrees in the east to 14 degrees in the west.

dotclear.gif

dotclear.gif July is the warmest month, with average temperatures ranging from 69 degrees in the east to 64 degrees in the west.

dotclear.gif

dotclear.gif South Dakota does have occasional days with high temperatures near 90 degrees, and harsh winter temperatures (way below 0 degrees) are normal.

from http://worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/namerica/usstates/sd.htm

I received a letter from my elder today and that is always so exciting for my family - now I must tell you I sponsor 4 elders and I have only had the one that has written me and she has written twice - I know the packages are received as I do a confirmation - and I do not expect a letter back - as that is not why my family sponsors - but when you do get a letter it is pretty exciting and I thought I would share a little of what she wrote - I sponsor a grand ma who is raising her grand kids - the baby is doing good, He'll take a couple of steps on his own but hasn't really learned to walk yet, but he is practicing. Every thing you have sent fits perfectly and is so very much appreciated, I am so glad to have you as my new friend............... wow talk about an emotional high. Now some of the elders do not speak English, and other do not read and write so I was surprised to get this letter - I always send along stationary and envelopes in case they can write back - but I know the postage will be used for necessary things so I don't worry if I do not hear - thank you for letting me be a part of this program - Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty- That is awesome! I, too, send stationery in hopes that they will decide to write back. (I sponsor two elders now.) But I haven't heard from anyone yet. That is so exciting! I would be excited, too. I am still making hats and scarves and slippers, and have an afghan started, but it will probably not be done til this fall, the way I have been going on it. Anyway here is another hat I finished just this morning:

th_96d48fb1.jpg

It is the same Tri-Color cloche I posted earlier, but I did the colors like Pattys' hat. I see Crochetfun did one of these, too in pink and brown. It's a popular hat! It goes quick is probably why. I like doing the two contrasting color stripes on the bottom even better, it's a lot easier than changing colors every single row... (The colors are off-white/aran and a rusty brown; it looks black, but it is brown.)

Thanks for looking!

Tina

I am also having a lot of fun with my elder - she is disabled and any little thing I do she seems to appreciate - I am not much of a crafter but I can always add a little extra to my grocery cart - tea, instant apple cider, sugar free candy, crackers, kool-aid for the grand kids - Rosa

I talked with one of my elders today!! I'm so excited! :yay It's so nice to just talk with her, even though I've never met her. I was really nervous, but she was really sweet and easy to talk to. And I found out a lot of stuff she likes/needs, so next time I go shopping it will be so much easier to know what to buy her!! I have another elder I write, too, but I haven't been able to get through on the phone with her at all.

:manyheart

Tina

I received an 8" square today from my Secret Pal. She said 'Would you mind donating it to Pine Ridge?' !! I said, 'I will donate it to Pine Ridge, and I will match your square with an 8" square of my own. Isn't that wonderful? Her square is from the 63 squares booklet, which I don't own, but I am sure I can find an 8" square online at Crochet Pattern Central! Tina

Archived