MICHAEL'S Is opening in WPB, FL!

Yarnluver

I'm afraid I'm the only one in this city who's joined C'ville so far, but I'm hoping in the near future another W. Palm Beach crocheter joins. Anyway, I'm so excited I have to share the news. Very early on Friday I went to their website to try to look at the circular for the store in Palm Beach Gardens (north of WPB) and when I entered my zip code I was surprised to see a local address (but there was no circular yet). I clicked on store locator and it came up again bit then read something saying the store was not open yet, however the listing provided a phone number so I called and was informed they are opening on Sunday and are having sales all over the store.

The downside is that last night I went food shopping at Wal-mart and while there bought 9 skeins of yarn so I can't spend anymore on yarn this month. :ohdear

I'm probably talking to myself at this point but just the same I want to "record" a summary of my visit to Michael's. I couldn't make it to the Grand Opening and actually my only excuse to justify going there was that I needed one new color of RHSS (which is on sale) for the hats I'm making. I was very excited just the same since I'd never even made it to the one in Palm Beach Gardens which is north of W. Palm Beach.

New stores are great because they are clean and well organized so I can't tell if this is the norm for Michael's but I liked it, and better yet I didn't even have to look for the yarn because I saw it the moment I crossed the door. I first stopped to look at the book racks and then went on to admire the yarn. To me the supply was pretty good considering I saw there for the first time other varieties of the 3 most popular brands here in the U.S.A. (Red Heart, Bernat & Caron) that I'd only read about or seen on the internet (in other words, Joann's and Wal-mart don't carry them) and they had a good supply of the popular hooks.

However, they didn't have the brown I needed (Coffee)... There were a few empty bins and the nice clerk explained they didn't get everything they needed but would probably come in on their Thursday shipment and if I called, preferably on Friday, they could tell me if it was in, but I didn't think I'd drive the 12 mi. just for that so I ended up getting a totally different color. Must be the company because last week I was at W-M and they didn't have it either.

I tried looking for something else, non-crochet related, and didn't find it nor another employee to ask so I just checked out because I had more things to do but it felt good to know that now I have more choices and that there will be more sales to keep yarn affordable for me - the downside is to have to deal with more yarn temptation than before!!!

It's always wonderful to get a new store in your area. Now you'll have a reason to really check out the sale papers every Sunday for sales.

Also, Michael's does put out yarn for clearance pretty often. I have bought a lot of yarn for $1 or $2 on clearance at Michael's.

Don't worry about the store not having everything you want or need right away. Sometimes, it takes a while to get everything in and in a few weeks, it should have all that you need. But I would call first to see if they have it since it is a little bit of a hike for you to get there.

Enjoy your new store!

:manyheart

I actually work at michaels and during the holiday season and black friday and such they have sales pretty often and if you purchase something at michael's you're likely to get a coupon with your recipt.

Also, Michael's does have an issue with keeping things in stock when sales start so get there early!

I really woudln't suggest Michaels for looking for specialty yarn. I've found that particularly my store, they don't have solid colored fun fur nor do they have a wide selection of seasonal varigated yarn (christmas or halloween colors especially)

Hey, thanks to both of you for 'coming by' and sharing in my joy, :lol and especially for the heads-up about those special sales, you can be sure I'll be watching out for them!

Speaking of Christmas variegated yarn, I'd been thinking of starting a thread about this. Since this is actually my first year of serious crocheting, I'd been wondering right around when stores usually have them available. I would've thought they'd like people to have plenty of time to get their Christmas projects done so I thought I'd start seeing them after Halloween like all the other Christmas stuff but I haven't seen any yet...:think

I've actually never seen christmas varigated yarn in stores.

I found my christmas yarn in size 10 crochet thread at goodwill O_O

So.. if you know let me know!

I usually do my specialty yarn shopping online :P

Sometimes JoAnn's has good deals

I have no idea of the local habits because last year was the first one in a long time that I bought any yarn (and just because a craft store was closing and somehow I couldn't resist the clearance prices). The last time I'd bought any variegated (acrylic) yarn was when K-mart still sold yarn and that's been many a moon ago (but I still have a partial skein...). Last month I saw Christmas variegated ww cotton at a dollar store and bought two balls for making a few towel toppers or potholders. I also got dark green thread at Big Lots which I'm using together with the red and white I already had on a doily. I guess I'm asking more out of curiosity and 'yarn lust' :devil than out of need after all... But I know me, if W-M happens to start selling RHSS "Holy & Ivy" at least 1 skein will stick to my fingers for sure!

Archived