ends of yarn

Guest MamaTo3Cuties

Question

Guest MamaTo3Cuties

Please tell me your secrets how to hide the end of the yarn so that it doesn't pop out.

Everything I have ever made has that piece of yarn sticking out.

6 answers to this question

This will probably get moved to the help section... but since I'm here ;) I'll tell ya my trick. First off I make sure to leave a good long piece when I snip and end off, then thread it on a yarn needle and start weaving it in, I do NOT go in a straight line, I go several different directions before I finish, making sure as I go that I haven't pulled it to tight along the way. When I feel like I;ve weaved enough I find a spot where there's two or more stitches together if possible, pull it through tere and cut the yarn so that it'll kinda hide in the middle of the stitches. I always try to weave on the wrong side of the object so that if the end does come through it's on the inside, and if there is no wrong side (like a blanket) I just hope *g*

And I was right, it got moved while I was typing lol.

That's what I do too, Marvie. Make sure to weave the yarn through the same color stitches so it doesn't show as much, and if you work back through the same approximate area that you started from you'll lock the fibers and good luck removing it if you ever need to. I always give a soft tug to see if it can be moved, and when it's locked in you'll feel it. :thumbsup

Guest MamaTo3Cuties

Sorry, just getting used to the forums.

What do you mean by locking?

I usually tie a knot and then cut the end off close to the knot, this doesn't work very well.

No, tying a knot isn't really a good idea. It doesn't leave enough yarn to fix it if ever did unravel. What I mean by 'locking' is how well you embed the fibers within each other. A few runs back and forth with the yarn needle will usually lock your end in firmly and you can snip the little tail left without worries.

Guest SamplerLady

mmouseplus.gifI tie knots all the time, especially in items I know are going to get a lot of abuse (children's blankets, children's scarves, etc.) I tie a square knot making sure to leave 4 to 6 inch tails of both yarns from the knot.

Then I weave the ends back into the crochet using a metal, blunt ended needle. I make sure I pierce (go between the plys) the yarn I'm weaving through so when the plys "close back up" they grab the yarn holding it in place. I change direction often when doing this up an down, back and forth. Stress on the ends is what pulls them out and when the ends go in many directions it virtually eliminates all the stress.

Caveat: If you are going to enter any of your work in competitions do not tie knots. If the judge can find them, your work will loose so many points it might as well be eliminated from the competition. :|

Guest MamaTo3Cuties

Well I see my problem now. I tie knots and then use the crochet hook to work the yarn through. I never thought of using a needle and going through the plys. Thanks!

Archived