Spinning lesson booked - can't wait! Any advice?

moggy

So I trawled through the internet to find someone local to teach me wheel spinning and eventually found one about 15 miles from home - I have a day lesson booked which looks like it is going to be one-on-one teaching. I have asked to go through the whole process from sheep to a plyed wool - should be an interesting day - can't wait!! :sheepjump

Anything I need to know / get the lady to teach me?

I read somewhere that crochet wool should be spun with an s twist and plyed with a z twist - is this important?

I'll try to post pics if I manage to produce anything at the end of the day :cheer

Try and use every wheel she has.. so you have an idea of what wheel you'd want to buy.. double tredle, single, traveler, regular size. Some wheels hit my knees.. and I would have bought something that didn't fit my body type.. definitely don't be shy.. card, spin, don't be afraid to make mistakes.. pick her brain.. ask any and every question.

learn how to ply.. learn how to use the knitty noddy... ask about processing the fiber.. and if she offers to let you come back and practice.. do it...

I don't understand what would make a difference. Spinning is done clockwise.. and plying the spun threads together is done the counter clockwise. Yarn is yarn. You can knit and crochet with any plyed yarn.

When plying two strands together, you have to go the opposite way or you'll unravel your fiber.

Spinning is done clockwise.. and plying the spun threads together is done the counter clockwise.

Some folks spin counter clockwise and ply clockwise ... it isn't wrong, just different.

I've heard from a few sources over the years that hand spun yarn that was spun counter clockwise and plied clockwise worked better for crocheted projects.

As far as how yarn "should" be spun might depend how you crochet. Some crochet add twist to their yarn while they crochet. Some might untwist the yarn as they crochet. So you could adjust those factors with your own yarn to minize untwist or overtwist.

I know knitter who do this too though. I also think that this all comes out after blocking so it's not suach a big deal. I still plan to do some swatches of different twist directions and plies to see if I can see a diferrence.

Really you can crochet with anything it just depends on the look you want. I crocheted a hat and neck warmer with some of my first overspun/underspun singles and I think they turned out great.

Archived