SmoothFox

Illusion Knitting

I taught myself 2 stitches a couple of weeks ago. The basics of a knit stitch and a purl stitch. Then I went searching the web to put these two basic stitches to good use. I found Illusion knitting and tried to learn how to do illusion knitting. Here are the two things I did while learning.

You can't see the pattern when you look straight on.

3021069262_20c288f166_m.jpg

Now you do:

3020207305_05ac2fac42_m.jpg

Here is the 2nd piece I tried.

3020238561_c2e65b47d4_m.jpg

Here's it is at an angle:

3021069706_26bbeab2ef_m.jpg

Now if I can figure out how to learn to bind off I can get these off the needles LOL.

Donna

What a cool technique! I've never heard of that before! There's so many things you could do with that. Thanks for sharing!

That is really cool. I also made a few samples of illusion knitting once just for fun. It is quite a novel technique. On the other hand, it wasn't so much fun to do that I'd make any actual item out of it!

Your choice of yarn color was perfect for your project, BTW.

I liked the yarn also. Now I'm trying this smokey skull scarf pattern and am not using the varigated yarn so I have no idea how the illusion will turn out.

My Wal-Mart stopped selling that yarn and I can't find it locally or at least I cant find it close to me. Red Heart Strata in the color of POGO.

Donna

That is really cool. I also made a few samples of illusion knitting once just for fun. It is quite a novel technique. On the other hand, it wasn't so much fun to do that I'd make any actual item out of it!

Your choice of yarn color was perfect for your project, BTW.

Isn't that neat. I am making an illusion scarf with the cats in sunglasses for my SIL for christmas. My DH looks dead straight at it and thinks ok, but what if that is all people see when it is done. He isn't sure he likes it. I know my SIL will like it because it is so different and she loves anything with cats.

It is very easy to do, K/P only. If you go to the Stitch and Bitch web site you could probably get more info. Or, google illusion knitting.

Very cool. Now as for binding off, knit 2 stitches, take the first stitch and pull it over the second. Continue this till you only have one stitch left on your needle. cut the yarn, slip through the one stitch left and wala you are done.:knit

Wow, that is so cool; you did a great job! And it's only simple knit and purl? Something to try, thanks.

Yes, just knit and purl. That's the only reason I could do it but my problem is I am not good at reading charts. Each line of an original pattern is 4 lines in the chart and I haven't mastered the charts yet.

I was fortunate that the two owners of the patterns I tried out, went ahead and wrote out the patterns for me or someone else had already written it up and it was posted somewhere.

Now the smokey skull one I am doing now has no written pattern so I'm writing it up for myself as I am working it from the chart.

Donna

Wow, that is so cool; you did a great job! And it's only simple knit and purl? Something to try, thanks.

Thank you very much for telling me how to bind of or cast off. I don't know what they call it!! Although it took me 30 minutes to do it for 30 stitches because I can't master that pass over stitch. Do I pass it over with my fingers or with the needles? I used the needles and it was so awkward. Can it be done with a crochet hook to help taking them off?

Donna

Very cool. Now as for binding off, knit 2 stitches, take the first stitch and pull it over the second. Continue this till you only have one stitch left on your needle. cut the yarn, slip through the one stitch left and wala you are done.:knit

Binding off: yes you can use a crochet hook to help take the stitch over, but try doing it with the needle until you get the hang of it. It will be MUCH faster and easier.

Tip....keep your stitches loose when binding off, a lot looser than your normal stitches. It will be hard to pass that stitch over if the stitches are too tight (plus you don't want a tight bound off edge). If you keep your stitches loose, you should be able to slip that stitch over with the needle pretty easily. It just takes a little practice. And you will use that maneuver in other knitting techniques (passing a slipped stitch over) so you might as well practice and get used to it.

I love the technique and I love the yarn color! Nice work!

Good job on the illusion knitting! I started up illusion knitting mystery KAL here. Things got in the way. :blush

I am still working on the potholder (my design) for the mystery KAL. I might take an attempt next year. Thank you for the inspiration!

If you don't want to make up your own pattern, there is a bunch on Ravelry.

Just look up illusion Knitting. I had to try the Christmas tree illusion dishcloth..

I am a very limited knitter -- most cuffs and collars for sweaters -- I always use my crochet hook to bind off. It's such a time saver.

In putting on cuffs on a crocheted body, I also use the crochet hook to place the first set of loops for the knitting needle. Is that called "picking up stitches"? Can't remember what it's called.

I am a very limited knitter -- most cuffs and collars for sweaters -- I always use my crochet hook to bind off. It's such a time saver.

In putting on cuffs on a crocheted body, I also use the crochet hook to place the first set of loops for the knitting needle. Is that called "picking up stitches"? Can't remember what it's called.

Yes, I believe that would be called picking up stitches. :)

Congratulations on learning how to do this unique technique. I've knitted many things over the years but never heard of Illusion Knitting.

You did a great job. Keep up the good work.

I think I'm going to try this technique and make something for my teenage great-niece.

Happy knitting,

antwerpnative

I've thought before that my sons-in-law might like illusion scarves. Hmmmm... need to think about that for next year's Christmas! Such a cool technique and yours is really neat, Donna.

That's cool! I've always been scared of illusion knitting, but I might have to give it a try.

That is Awesome, I've never heard of Illusion knitting.

Binding off can be a little weird, but like the commenter said knit 2 stitches and the first stitch you knit take your left needle and lift it up and over the 2nd stitch and off the needle and repeat the process.

I noticed that when I bind off its really tight and learned a new technique from another knitter, which allows the bind off stitches to have a little give. When you knit the first stitch instead of inserting the right needle in the front of the stitch, instead you insert it in the back and knit, repeat for the 2nd stitch then do the bind off. Once you have completed the bind off you will notice that the bind off row has a little stretch to it.

I noticed that when I bind off its really tight and learned a new technique from another knitter, which allows the bind off stitches to have a little give. When you knit the first stitch instead of inserting the right needle in the front of the stitch, instead you insert it in the back and knit, repeat for the 2nd stitch then do the bind off. Once you have completed the bind off you will notice that the bind off row has a little stretch to it.

Another way to loosen up a bind off is to go up a couple of needle sizes just for the bind off. :)

What a cool technique! I've never heard of that before! There's so many things you could do with that. Thanks for sharing!

Debbie Stoller has an alien scarf pattern like that in her SnB book.