How do I spin my cat hair into yarn?

Jempast

Hair is different than FUR that comes from say sheep. It would be hard to put a bunch of hair into a long strand that would stay together. I guess you should research into it, but personally, I think it would be hard to do. And for those of us with cat allergies.....I wouldn't want to be around it!!

For some reason, this really grosses me out. :sorry

same here :/

but if you think about it, wool is sheep fur, and those are outdoor animals... cats might be cleaner

What's so creepy about cat fur? It's just a bunny with shorter ears. :)

YankeeMom, that made me laugh out loud when I read that!

I, too, think this would be a cool idea. My cat is a long hair with the most beautiful coat. Plus it would be incentive to brush him more often! :lol

i know a lady around here that had dog fur that she had saved and when she had a garbage bag full of it she took it to the local amish store and asked them to spin it for her, then she made herself a shawl and scarf from the yarn made. i'd try that :)

I have bags of dog fur that I am hoping to have spun into yarn someday. I have loved all these dogs, and what a special momento it would be, with fur from those that have died. Of course, it'll be a really warm item because I have Samoyeds--not useful where I currently live (American southwest desert, summer temps well over 100 degrees Farenheit). But if I ever move somewhere cold, I'll be ready!

Chiengora is the proper term for fiber spun from dog hair.

People either love the idea or hate it. Gross? Not to me. But then, with 2 cats and 2 dogs, everything is already covered with fur in my life. I wouldn't have it any other way, frankly.

Patty (currently wearing a navy blue sweater with white fur and brown tabby ticked fur visible on it! :lol My life is tweed!)

It's weird, not so much creepy, to me and I don't know why. I guess I just keep thinking of say, an afghan, with all these little hairs sticking out! LOL I'm sorry, I am certainly NOT mocking you. I just never heard of this. Although....to be honest, I have a husky dog and I have thought "with all this shedding I wonder if I could turn it into something useful!" LOL

For some reason, this really grosses me out. :sorry

I'm glad that you said it!!!! I totally agree!!!!! :eek One time at a craft group we did needle felting into wool fabric. I thought the fur stuff I was felting was wool, but that lady bragged that it was fur from her dog!! I thought I would be sick!!! The whole idea of cat and dog fur made into a useable crochet yarn is sickening to me, I can't even stand to see animals laying on crochet projects!! YUCK!!!! :eek

I'm almost mpositive I saw a book of crochet once that detailed how to create yarn from pet hair. I just did a search and could only find the book someone else mentioned about knitting.

Knitting With Dog Hair: Better A Sweater From A Dog You Know and Love Than From A Sheep You'll Never Meet by Kendall Crolius (Paperback - Jan 15, 1997)

There is something I find a bit off about using pet hair, but it took me a long time to come around to the idea of allowing a cat into my house. I grew up in farm country. Your cats were working animals to keep vermin from the stored grain. You didn't try to tame them so they'd do their work properly.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived