CGOA Chain Link 2009--Class Schedule Has Been Posted

Amy

Is Wednesday Professional Dev. Day? Hmm very enticing. Would have to look at the schedule once they post more details.

Yep, my bad! I meant Thursday for a trip to Niagara Falls and Toronto!

Definitely have to be there on Wednesday for Professional Development Day. :)

Gotta see what my schedules gonna be but I'd love to go see the Falls with you!!

I've never been there.

Myra, that would be so much fun! Make sure you have an active passport so you can come on a yarn shop crawl into Toronto! I've looked online and they seem to have a number of good yarn shops.

If I remember correctly from when I looked at the Hyatt website, I think we can rent a car for just the day right at the hotel. If we split the cost among 4 or 5 people (gotta make sure we leave enough room for all the yarn we buy!), it should be pretty affordable for even a 1-day local rate.

I need to check to see if the onsite car rental place offers a AAA discount, since I've got the AAA Plus card.

I have a question,, can anyone go or is it just for members as it is not so far from me

Anyone is welcome to attend. If you are a CGOA or TKGA member, though, the cost of classes is discounted some. Hope you decide to come...last year was my first one and I had a blast! :D

I love Niagara Falls but have never seen them from the American side.

It's actually quite difficult to see the falls from the American side. I believe you have to either go out onto the Rainbow Bridge (which you can walk across although if you are going to cross all the way there is something like a 50 cent fee) or else go up the observation tower, which also has a fee. I'm not sure how much that costs because I've never done that. In general though, I would say that if you are going to go to the falls, the Canadian Horseshoe falls are probably what you want to see. These are the falls that people think of when they think of Niagara Falls, not the American Falls. You can also see the American Falls from the Canadian side. In general, I would say that the view of both falls is MUCH better from the Canadian side.

Another nice thing to see if you have the time is the Niagara river gorge. This is downstream from the falls. You can't see the falls themselves, but there is a state park with some hiking trails and you can walk along the side of the Niagara river and see the whirlpool. If you want to spend some money, there are even Jet boats that go out on the Niagara river up to the point of the whirlpool. Beyond that the rapids are classified as un-navigable (I think). I have been on the Jet boat, and it is a bit pricey, but a lot of fun. The Jet boats leave from Lewiston,NY which is not far from either Niagara Falls, NY or Buffalo.

It is a neat area, and fun to visit. My inlaws live in Clarence, NY, which is just to the East of Buffalo, so I have visited that area quite a bit.

I may have to look into whether I can afford to attend Chain Link since it is so close. It sound interesting... hmmmm....

Right now you need a Passport to get from the states into Canada if your FLYING and visa versa....But if driving across the boarder you need birth certificate and photo ID......But this too will be changing just dont know when yet. Im an american living in Canada and cross the boarder a few times a year. I will be crossing next week for Turkey Day :clap going home to new jersey to be with my family :manyheart

Right now you need a Passport to get from the states into Canada if your FLYING and visa versa....But if driving across the boarder you need birth certificate and photo ID......But this too will be changing just dont know when yet. Im an american living in Canada and cross the boarder a few times a year. I will be crossing next week for Turkey Day :clap going home to new jersey to be with my family :manyheart

I can't remember the exact date this changes, but maybe it's in June 2009? I do know that by the time Chain Link occurs, you WILL need a passport to drive to Canada (well, at least to get back into the country).

I checked out the US passport website (can't remember the link now), and there's currently just about a three-week processing time for passports. Which is much better than the 9 months it took a year or two ago when my sister went to Italy with her husband's family. She barely got her passport in time for the trip.

Leah, thank you so much for letting us know we should plan on visiting the falls from the Canadian side. Now another reason why I need that passport!!!

• 2 months later...

OK, I apologize in advance if I"m repeating what someone has said already, I'm in a hurry.

I LIVE in a suburb of Buffalo.

Starting June 2009, Passports WILL BE REQUIRED to travel into Canada. No birth certificates, NOTHING will work instead. I was just in Toronto last weekend, and the signs are posted everywhere.

Next: Do not assume that the airport is anywhere near the CGOA conference. The airport and downtown are two different locations. :yes They are about 15 minutes apart.

There are PLENTY of yarn stores much closer than Toronto. If you still want to go to Canada, Niagara Falls and Fort Erie are MUCH closer. However, there are also very nice places in the US that are nice little shops in nearby towns such as Amherst and a couple in North Buffalo.

For those artsy people, we also have a new art center called the Birchfield Penny Art Gallery. (haven't gone, but it's supposed to be glorious for those that like that stuff)

Niagara Falls is literally 10 minutes from downtown Buffalo. There is an American side to view it in for those that do not have a passport. The Canadian side, admittedly has a better view though. Consider a ride on the Maid of the Mist (ferry boat that takes you right under the falls) - it leaves from both sides of the border and the trip is the same. You can also walk under the falls in a self-paced walking tour. You must be able to do stairs, I believe.

There are many hotels that are likely to be a whole lot cheaper on the fringe of the city in a town called Cheektowaga. It will be 5 minutes to the conference, and parking is not often a problem in the city, especially on weekends. You would need a car for this option, though.

If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer or make calls for you.

I am curious to know why you will be going to Toronto for yarn shops, Amy - Toronto is a good 2 hours from the border.

Also, please consider the each person has a limit on how much they can buy to cross back over the border without paying duties. In addition, the Canadians have quite a high tax rate of both PST (Provincial Tax) and GST (like a Federal Tax) and goods tend to be more expensive, so don't expect a discount because of the exchange rate. You will likely come out "even".

A couple of reasons for going to Toronto: 1) they have a large number of yarn shops and 2) the novelty of it, since I've never been out of the country before.

Is there any other town around Buffalo that has a similar number of yarn shops to Toronto?

OK, something to consider.

Toronto, Ontario is absolutely HUGE. Just because an address is in the city of Toronto, does not mean that it is necessarily close.

Buffalo, NY as a city is tiny in land mass, because it doesn't include all of its surrounding towns. The city of Buffalo is literally just that - the city with the tall buildings. If you were to drive less than 10 minutes out of the center of the city, you would have towns like West Seneca, Cheektowaga, Amherst, Tonawanda, Niagara Falls. I am a bargain yarn user, so I've only gone to stores like ACMoore, JoAnns, Hobby Lobby, Michaels (which we have in the surrounding areas of the city). I will do a search when my computer is a little more cooperative and see what's close.

Elmwood Avenue is a kitschy shopping strip, but don't know if there's any yarn stores there. Amherst has at LEAST one that I know of because I've heard it mentioned.

If you're looking for Canada, then I'd look into Niagara Falls, Canada or Fort Erie, Canada for yarn shops too. They're both right across the border. You'd be able to save a lot in fuel getting to Toronto and spend it on the same yarn!

Thanks, Krystal! When I get a chance, I'll also go to a couple of those yarn store locator sites and see what I can find around the greater Buffalo area.

Then I'll input the addresses into mapquest, and see what it spits out to me for travel time to all the different places.

Amy -

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=yarn+loc:+Buffalo,+NY&sll=42.937826,-78.787079&sspn=0.234755,0.65094&ie=UTF8&ll=42.937667,-78.787391&spn=0.245312,0.65094&z=11

I hope this link works. There are plenty of shops, and the travel is not that much when compared to traveling to Toronto. I haven't looked at Fort Erie.

Here is Fort Erie: http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=yarn+loc:+Fort+Erie,+Ontario&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=27.725603,83.320312&ie=UTF8&z=10

Doesn't look like as many as in the surrounding areas of Buffalo, though. You could do some of the closer ones to the city and then hit Fort Erie. Just a thought.

I think there's an alpaca farm around here, too. I'll have to look.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just incase. Please be sure that you have the proper identification with you for travelling across the boarder into Canada (Niagara falls, Toronto, North Pole - via CAN).

For US citizens. As of June 1st you will need a Passport - 1 for everyone going to Canada. If you don't live in NYS (they are issuing special "drivers licsenses they are more then your normal ID but less then a passport). I only know of the NYS rules because I was just in Niagara Falls this past weekend and was talking with some folks there, doin the research.

Other Bordering states may have something similar to the NYS liscence option.

If you are from somewhere other than the US, please look up your countries rules for travelling abroad.

It sucks being detained at the border!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, everyone, just wanted to let you know the class schedule has been posted for Chain Link in August.

Online registration opens next Tuesday on March 31, so you've got some time to pick and choose your classes.

I'm still having trouble making my final decisions. I want to be ready by Tuesday, though, since the first 500 to register will get a free goodie bag provided by Lion Brand!

Would you like to create a conference notebook to keep all you materials and information neatly organized? Check out this great post by Dee Stanziano, aka CrochetingWithDee.

Archived