CGOA Chain Link 2009--Class Schedule Has Been Posted

Amy

CGOA's (Crochet Guild of America) National Chain Link Conference will be held in Buffalo, NY August 5-9, 2009.

I don't see any information on the CGOA website yet, but I'm sure they'll have something up before too long.

I just looked Buffalo up on the map, and Niagara Falls is so close! I've never seen Niagara Falls, so I may just have to schedule a day to take a trip over there. Hmmm, I'll have to check out rental car rates for that week!

A trip into Toronto would be nice, too, but I don't have a passport. Not sure I want to spend money on a passport when I could spend it on yarn instead!

The information for the conference Center has been posted to the CGOA webite. The conference is being held at the Buffalo Niagra Convention Center.:hook

The information for the conference Center has been posted to the CGOA webite. The conference is being held at the Buffalo Niagra Convention Center.:hook

I live an hour from Buffalo! I checked the website, but only see up to 2008 information, can you help direct me to the right place?

You need a passport to go to Canada? Is this something new? Do Canadians have to have passports to enter the US?

You do need a passport now -- we were in Toronto in April and it was already in effect. What a nuisance! Can't we all just get along?

You usually go thru customs at the first US City in which you land. Not from Toronto! You go through US Customs in Toronto before you board your flight. Doesn't seem like it would make much difference, does it?

But ... we exited Canada officially and enter US Customs and stood in line for 40 minutes. Then we went to the gate to await our flight that after 4 hours of "any minute now" got cancelled. The airport put us up at a hotel at the airport, but back into Canadian territory. So back we went through Canadian immigration and then back to the ticket counter to be ticketed for the next morning. The next morning we had to go back through US Customs again!

Anyhow, I'm happy the conference is in Buffalo. I love Niagara Falls but have never seen them from the American side. We also have lots of flights to Buffalo from here that are direct.

To bad that is way to far to drive.

Check out airfare rates. It's only $340 round trip from Huntsville, which is always expensive to fly out of. I could probably save $100 if I drove 90 minutes to Nashville and flew from there.

By the time you consider gas, possibly an overnight stay at a hotel, meals, and wear-and-tear cost on a car from driving, it may not be that much more expensive to fly.

There is a Hyatt attached to the Buffalo Convention Center, so I'm assuming that's where CGOA will negotiate some nice rates for us. I'll be reserving my room just as soon as they release the discount code!

Now to find out whether Donna is going to come solo or bring her family along with her. If Donna will be there with her family, I hope my roommate from last year will take me again! :lol

Don't forget to consider Amtrak as an option. I see they have 2 depots in Buffalo NY. IAmtrak has attractive frequent traveler programs where you can collect points toward free trips rather easily. I use an Amtrak credit card for this. I've "bought" upgrades to first and business class using these points.

I couldn't tell from the Convention Center's website which station is closer, so I've emailed to find out.

Passports are not mandatory over here yet as long as you have proper other id such as

proof of your citizenship, such as a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization, as well as photo identification.

Niagara Falls is one of our greatest attractions and well worth the side trip.

If you decide to and need any help on this end don`t hesitate to ask

Passports are not mandatory over here yet as long as you have proper other id such as

proof of your citizenship, such as a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization, as well as photo identification.

Niagara Falls is one of our greatest attractions and well worth the side trip.

If you decide to and need any help on this end don`t hesitate to ask

Passports are not mandatory yet when arriving by auto (or foot). However, they will be mandatory by June 1, 2009 with some exceptions.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

There is a Hyatt attached to the Buffalo Convention Center, so I'm assuming that's where CGOA will negotiate some nice rates for us. I'll be reserving my room just as soon as they release the discount code!

Now to find out whether Donna is going to come solo or bring her family along with her. If Donna will be there with her family, I hope my roommate from last year will take me again! :lol

I would be honored to be your roomie again!!! :hook

I have a question,, can anyone go or is it just for members as it is not so far from me

Anybody can register to attend Chain Link. CGOA members do get discounted rates for classes, though.

I just talked to dh tonight, and there's a chance he's going to be sent to Europe again within the next couple of years due to his job as a contractor for NASA (working on International Space Station). So now I'm definitely going to be getting a passport before Chain Link.

I did a search on yarn shops in Toronto, and there are a TON of them. I think I'm going to devote one day of Chain Link (possibly Wednesday Thursday) to renting a car and driving over to see Niagara Falls followed by a LYS hop through Toronto.

So who wants to join me? If 5 people split the cost of a rental car and gas for one day, it shouldn't be too bad. I think it's only about a 90 minute drive from Buffalo to Toronto.

Archived