crocheted curly clown

craftylady1956

Question

Hi-

A neighbor of mine showed me a cute curly clown crocheted that she bought at a church treasure sale..It is so cute.It has crocheted arms, legs then crocheted covered syrofoam balls for feet & hands and head...would anyone have an idea where to find a pattern...? I looked online found a curly clown pattern but the links are no longer available..thanks so much.

PS I know these were popular years ago.

Are you talking about the ones that are made with "disks" of yarn? If so they have a pattern at CPC. I think it's called a Carriage Clown. I also saw one at Pricila Hewitt's website under the baby items section. Hope that helps.

my mom used to make those.. they were made with spirally arms, not disks, and we never had styrofoam balls she would just stuff the hands and feet and head. super cute, i always tried to keep one for myself but never managed :( they sold so fast

i dunno where she got the pattern tho.. maybe an old workbasket magazine. i should ask her :P

I know what clowns you are talking about, my great grandmother use to make them, she made doll versions too (which are nicer in my opinion, clowns can be scary! :eek) She been gone for quite a few years now and I have no idea what pattern she used though, if you find a pattern please share, I would love to try and make one, for memories sake

I'M SO EXCITED TO THIK THIS MAY BE THE PATTERN !!!--I WORK AT HOME AND HAVE BEEN TRYING TO "MAKE" IT IN MY HEAD AS I WORK..HEE HEE....

IF THIS IS NOT WHAT I THINK IT TO BE--I WILL KINDLY ASK MY NEIGHBOR TO BORROW HERS AND FIGURE IT OUT--SOMETHING THAT I'VE GOTTEN GOOD AT.. YEARS AGO A FRIEND USED TO LOVE FINDIGN THINGS A FLEA MARKETS ETC,,,SHE BRING WHATEVER OVER AND I WOULD FIGURE IT OUT....ONCE I MADEA ELVIS DOLL FOR A RELATIVE FROM SOMETHING THAT WAS SHOWN TO ME....I WILL SHARE THE PATTERN ONCE I FIGURE IT OUT....THANKS TO ALL !!!:cheer

There is a pattern in a book by Jessie Abularach Volume One, for Crocheted Clown whose body is in a spiral. This is one made by my mother years ago for one of my babies. It appears he has a plastic face according to the picture. It's hard to tell. There is another in Volume 3 (1981) for Yo Yo the Clown made with the circles. He has plastic hands and feet.

I made a few of those clowns back in the day

I found this pattern for a curly legged octopus, but I remember the legs being a bit fuller, perhaps there were more stitches in each stitch of the legs

http://www.brandis.com.au/craft/Crochet/crochet01.html

I think you made a chain for the length that you wanted the leg or arm to be and then you made like 18 dcs in each stitch, overloading the stitches like that caused the curly twisting....play around with it and see how it goes.:hook

Love the octopus! At first I had trouble, but then I realized it used European terms. For the Americans here, you have to use sc where it says dc and dc where it says treble. When I did that it turned out cute. Sometimes I forget there are people from all over the world on Crochetville.

Ellie 13

I think you made a chain for the length that you wanted the leg or arm to be and then you made like 18 dcs in each stitch, overloading the stitches like that caused the curly twisting....play around with it and see how it goes.:hook

Did you really mean 18? I could see 8 maybe. I agree the 3 for the octopus was a little wimpy :lol

I make 'padded' wire clothes hanger covers with scrap yarn this way, but I put 5 dc into each chain. I make a chain long enough to go around the shoulders and the bottom of the hanger, but after adding the dcs & twisting it's only long enough to go across the 'shoulders' of the hanger. Long story to say, you'd have to make a chain a third or more longer than you'd want the limbs to end up being.

Yes I meant 18! LOL! :lol.....By putting 18 double crochets in one chain stitch you practically create a circle.....then you can either go on to the next stitch and do 18 there as well, or you can skip a stitch, either way you get a really curly sort of thing....The clown I recieved as a child was about 18 inches high.....and once I learned how to crochet, I was checking it out top to bottom! There were 18 stitches in each chain stitch......the effect is a lot like the yo yo clowns. Give it a try....you'll see!:yes

yesterday I borrowed the glown from my neighbor --I sat last night wrtiing out the pattern--I will try it out--may be after Christmas--whenver I do and it comes out--I will post a photo. This one is so cute--uses syrofoam balls for head, body, feet & hands--all of which are crocheted over the balls then joined to curly legs & arms. has a cute crocheted hat too.....thanks again:manyheart

last night I started to crochet from the pattern I wrote out--it is coming along very well......I am just "playing" in hopes I have it figured out correctly....the "curls" are very close together and I have "disected" the clown when I had itin my pocession-- to try to write out a pattern....I think after the "curls" ( legs or arms) are done you either chain and draw up the chain thru the center of the curls to make them very even and tight...this is the one thing that makes this clown different from other patterns I've seen online ...

just wanted to update everyone on my clown--it is coming out very nicely...I have completed the curly arms & legs. I am now working on the hat and other parts. i will post a photo when done...I haven't seen anything just like this one...is so cute...:hook

Archived