So my new drop spindle came today....

YankeeMom

Just found a new library book that may help me start spinning. It's called "Start Spinning Everything You Need to Know to Make Great Yarn" by Maggie Casey. It covers both drop spindles and spinning wheels, and looks clear enough even I can comprehend it.

I think spinning is definately an art that takes practice, practice, practice.

I sure hope I get better with practice!:lol

So far my "yarn" looks uhm......extra special.:eek

I've watched videos and they all tell you a different way of doing things so I guess I'll have to find the way that works for me.:)

I've got extra special yarn spun up too, lol. I reciently got my top whirl spindle and I think when I tried a different color is when my spinning was alittle better, then the change happened, lol. But I'm still going to use it up. Just hoping I get better at it.

Happy Spinning!

Have you checked out

on drop spindling? It's the best one out there as far as I'm concerned

Oh, and your 'special' yarn .... treasure it. If you plan on getting a wheel, make it into a little accessory bag to hang on your wheel to keep the tools you need (oil, oriface hook, allen wrench, WPI guide)

• 3 weeks later...

Do treasure that "special" yarn, indeed, for once you learn to spin a fine yarn you will find that when you want a bulky, chunky, special yarn, it will be more difficult to "let go" and make it that way on purpose. I taught a spindling class recently for the first time and was so proud that everyone made yarn...they were all self-critical, of course, but I just told them that all of them did great, which in truth, they did! Just keep practicing, it will get easier, I promise!!! :D

• 1 month later...

I learned by watching Megan LaCore's videos. She made it so un-intimidating!

http://technorati.com/videos/youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DUs0nk_ryMDI

I raise alpacas and have many many fleeces to process, and recently bought some spinning equipment, but was literally afraid to use it! Then I stumbled upon Megan's videos and had yarn the next day!

My yarns :)

http://www.whitelotusalpacas.com/FarmBlog/?p=25

http://www.whitelotusalpacas.com/FarmBlog/?p=33

I do love Abby's blog, though. I wonder if I'll ever be as accomplished as she is?

Heather

White Lotus Alpacas

Creswell, Oregon

• 2 months later...
Have you checked out
on drop spindling? It's the best one out there as far as I'm concerned

Oh, and your 'special' yarn .... treasure it. If you plan on getting a wheel, make it into a little accessory bag to hang on your wheel to keep the tools you need (oil, oriface hook, allen wrench, WPI guide)

I think her Youtube video is excellent. And she has more videos on her website. Great stuff.

Archived