Is it rude?

Is it rude to leave the price/price stickers on a gift or swap item?  

204 members have voted

1. 1. Is it rude to leave the price/price stickers on a gift or swap item?

• Yes
    • No
    • Doesn't matter

This says it pretty well -

I always feel ackward when I receive a gift with the price tag still on it . . . It's like the person is saying "see how much I spent on you". A gift is supposed to be without cost - and a price tag doesn't reflect that. I always wonder if they are keeping some sort of tally.

I agree with all the above.

I have a sil that used to always leave a price tag on the gifts. I knew she did not give that much for them or she bought them at some salvage store and left the orginial price tag on it. I finally suggested we not exchange gifts any more. We haven't in years.. I only exchanged because she was my DH's sister... We were never friends or will never be.!!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess I don't think it's rude. Not even about Clearance stickers. But I'm a huge clearance shopper and hate spending full price on something. If I get something on clearance that means I can buy MORE to put towards a gift! I love that part of it!

Plus, I work in retail now and realize that many items are marked up OVER 50%!!! That's just plain ridiculous to me. I understand making money, but I refuse to buy unless it's marked down at least 25% now because of that.

I don't think it's rude. I foreget sometimes too and have to rewrap.

:clap I do the samething.:yes I look for the clearance items first most of the time. Store really mark up 300%. But, the low mark stores keep it down.

I do think it's kinda rude, but I wouldn't be all that offended if I recieved something with a price tag still on (after all, I'm still getting presents, so who cares?:) ). My Granny always leaves price tags on, it drives my mama crazy!

Or, if you think the person may need to take the item back, it's usually better to leave the tags on, since stores (I'm looking at you, Micheals) have crazy return policies.

I personally think the word "rude" isn't the right word for this situation...things get overlooked sometimes you know...personally I think the word "rude" gets way overused for way too many things...

Rude would be you send the items and brag about what you spent to the person (or anyone really) rude would be not acknowledging that one received the package...rude would be hasseling the person for a thank you...but forgetting to take the price tag off...not really rude...but I'd really work on making it a habit to remove the tags in the future.

I feel it is tacky but understand that sometimes they are forgotten or whatnot. My in-laws leave them on but it's intentional and it drives me nuts. They live locally but almost never see them; every single time we've accepted an invite to eat at their house, during dinner they state multiple times exactly how much more it cost them to feed us--right down to the cent of each item. So I know it's a personal thing but when all the prices are left on everything, it makes me think of them.

• 2 weeks later...

I was surprised by some of the responses to this. wow. I voted that it doesn't matter. I don't look a gift horse in the mouth :lol If someone cares enough to give me a gift & they forgot to remove the price tag or sticker, I would just think they forgot it. I'd be gracious & not point it out or be obvious that I saw it. Mistakes happen & often they are very difficult to remove these days.

I remove the easy ones but if it's really stuck on, I mark through the price with a perm black marker. I'm sure I've missed some here & there.

Gift cards are great & yes they know how much you spent. Why this is different I don't know :think Except that it would be pretty hard to go to Walmart with a giftcard if you didn't know how much you could spend lol

I voted it did not matter. My moms ex (who I call my step dad to this day) - his brother went out of his way to shoip at Pic N Save (when they where nasty & not big lots) & leave the tag on. We saw it & it told us how he valued what we did for him. So we diced to start doing that as well but take the tags off. He always threw away whatever we got him so why spend more then a dollar on it?

On the other hand I am seriously thinking of leaving tags on my kids gifts so I can prove to them I spend the same amount on them. It is gotten to the point where its not how many but how much.

I was raised though to not let tags on the gifts. But I ignore it unless I know the person was sending a message such as my step dads brother.

I put "rude" but I think it's more like if I were to swap with you I'd feel bad if you had spent more on me than I did on you. It's obvious you are not trying to make anyone feel that way but even still I'd feel bad. I'd feel like I should have done more had you spent more than I did. Just my two cents, for what its worth.

It depends on who does it. Some people are a little bit more calculating and you get the feeling that their gifts are conditional - then it can be a bit rude or hurtful if you think the price tag was left on on purpose. In the majority of cases, though, I presume it's simply a slip and pull the tag off without looking at the price - I just appreciate the giving of the gift.

I try to be careful, though. I don't attach a lot of monetary value to anything, I have to admit. I buy things because I like them or because I think someone else will like them and the price is irrelevant (although I DO love a bargain - come on, who doesn't?! :lol). Some of my very favourite presents have come from the €1 store. In fact, I nearly prefer them because I can use them without worrying that they're going to get chipped or scratched or broken: I use them with enthusiasm!

• 4 weeks later...

I was raised not to leave the stickers or tags on a gift. I always try to remove them, but not because I don't want someone to feel guilty that I spent more than them, but because I don't want someone to know if I didn't spend as much. The Christmas gift exchange at my mom's house, we set a limit, not a minimum. I am a big clearance shopper. I was raised that way. If I can find something good that's on sale, why pay full price for something else? I always put alot of thought into my gifts, anyway. I want to make sure whoever gets my gift will like it.

As far as the sticker residue, or prices printed directly on the package, I use a black permanent marker to cover the price. Yeah, I know. That's kinda tacky too. But my family has always been slightly tacky anyway. And at least they still don't know what I spent!

Archived