Is it rude?

Is it rude to leave the price/price stickers on a gift or swap item?  

204 members have voted

1. 1. Is it rude to leave the price/price stickers on a gift or swap item?

• Yes
    • No
    • Doesn't matter

I do agree that tags should be removed.. stickers should be removed, etc. However, there are disadvantages to removing them. Stickers leave a sticky residue that sometimes starts to look dirty and sometimes I accidentally rip the package or damage the item by trying to -carefully- remove it. I think this is going to be my philosophy from now on: If it's a sticker or tag (such as on clothing) I will remove it. If the price is literally printed on the package, I am not going to cut it off, because I think it actually looks more tacky.

The thing that I really don't understand is removing tags (with UPC), stickers, etc when giving a gift receipt or the original receipt, even just upon request. If they don't want the item they're going to find out how much you spent anyway.

Possibly it's better to be polite and remove stickers and tags when possible, but when it actually alters the product or original package it's not necessary? If the receiver honestly believes that I am trying to show off..... then maybe they're being rude as well? :eek

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the gift may need to be returned (i.e. clothes), I fold the tag over and tape it so that they price/upc code is accessible if need be. Other than that I find it's careless to leave price tags readily available on gifts. To me it doesn't necessarily say you're showing me how much you spent, it says you couldn't be bothered removing the tag and I'm lucky you spent any time wrapping it.

Hmm, I always take the stickers and tags off..

If I recieve gifts I really don't want to know what they are worth, because it sometimes makes me feel uncomfortable knowing that I've spend way more/less on that persons gift... I even hate it when I see my recently recieved gift in a store somewhere because I can't resist taking a look at the price tag....

But I sometimes forget to take them off as well, one time I actually ripped a gift out of my friends hands right after she got it because I noticed the price sticker was still on it ^^;;;;

If the receiver honestly believes that I am trying to show off..... then maybe they're being rude as well? :eek

You know... After answering your first post and reading this one, I gave it some serious thought. I have to totally agree with you on this.

It can probably be assumed since you are giving someone a gift, it is a person whom you know well and vice versa. Therefore they should know you well enough to know you are not "bragging" or making some sort of "statement". To say it's the equivalent of not working in your ends, I fail to understand the comparison, but whatever...

I also feel, especially when gifting a child, that it is extremely helpful to the recipient/parent if you do leave the tags in place. I remember as a child my aunt would give me presents at the holidays, minus tags of course, and would always tell my mother, "I have the tags and receipt, just let me know if anything needs to be exchanged." Personally, I feel this is even more rude. It forces the gift recipent to either feel bad or embarrass themself by asking for the tags, etc, or keep a gift that doesn't fit or they don't like/want/need.

Whether you remove tags or leave them on, repeat offender or not, what it all comes down to is the thought. You have thought to give this person a gift. It is thier responsibility to accept that gift without judgement and with grateful acceptance, whether it was thier taste or not, whether you spent 50 cents or 50 dollars, whether it still has the tag on it or not...

At the same time it is also your responsibility to purchase a gift for them you feel fits thier personality and taste while remaining within your budget. You can't win them all though. And when that happens, if someone doesn't like a gift, if you've left the tag on and included a gift receipt, they will have a hassle free return and receive store credit for the same amount you spent. Not the "last known sale price."

Whether you remove tags or leave them on, repeat offender or not, what it all comes down to is the thought. You have thought to give this person a gift. It is thier responsibility to accept that gift without judgement and with grateful acceptance, whether it was thier taste or not, whether you spent 50 cents or 50 dollars, whether it still has the tag on it or not...

Exactly!!!!!!

Sore

I can't believe how many people are equating this with an "I can't be bothered" attitude or a subconscious inclination to show off. I'm sure in some instances that is the case, but I hardly think it it can be generalized as such.

what about in the case of swaps when you have a minimum price you have to buy? I am also a believer in taking stickers off but after receiving a swap package with almost all stickers intact...I thought maybe it was for this purpose, to show you HAD spent the minimum?

Just because a price tag says something doesn't mean that's what was spent. Sometimes it's not possible to remove the price without cutting part of the tag off and some stores then have issues exchanging things. I like the tags that have the extra little bit at the bottom where the price is and you just tear it off. I'm not at all a fan of receiving gifts that have tags cut off... it's usually a baby item that's completely too small or a duplicate and then no one uses the gift, which sort of defeats the point of giving it in the first place.

If you're going to cut tags off at least make sure you give gift receipts, since no one does anymore.

My mom always told me to remember to take the price tags off gifts before I wrapped or sent them. But I'm a forgetful person and sometimes I'll get into wrapping or putting together the gift without realizing that I hadn't taken the tag off. People who know me well know this about me and they think nothing of it. I do wonder though about if there were ever times i left a tag on for a swap or gift exchange and didn't realize it what the people who didn't know me too well thought...oh geez they probably thought I was some kind of loser lol. Ahh oh well what can ya do? Us forgetful types know better right?

I have to watch hubby like a hawk when he is wrapping because frequently I have to grab the unwrapped gift from a friend/family member and tear off the tag in front of them lol. Especially as its frequently a sale or bargain price. However, when someone gives me something with the price still on I just pretend I never saw it, figuring it was an accident.

In this day and age so many people give gift cards and with those you know EXACTLY how much the person spent.

It is after all the thought that counts not the price spent.

As long as it is a thoughtful gift and not just something picked up on clearance to give to whoever later. I know someone who fills up her garage with clearance stuff then 'shops' in there later for birthday and Christmas. That's not thoughtful at all.

I have no problem with clearance stuff. I like to make the awesome score just like everyone else. But I don't buy just because it's in sale. Either I want it or I truly know someone who will want/like it.

In this day and age so many people give gift cards and with those you know EXACTLY how much the person spent.

I actually like gift cards. A few years ago I didn't so much. Now though with the cost of sending packages and often not knowing what a long distance relative needs or wants and in some cases has nearly everything; I like sending GCs so they can get exactly what they want or maybe shop in their favorite store.

I like getting them from LD friends, too. Then I can pick out scents from baths stores that I like and she doesn't have to guess.

While browsing thru some of the added posts, I realized that I too love gift cards, (thanks Empress for reminding me) and I never gave a thought that it was too much or not enough.

And since family is so large I could not afford gifts that weren't home made. So I do buy yarns and material on clearance or sale (even when I don't need it right then), isn't that

the same as buying ready made on clearance/sale?

The removal of tags, etc...is just a habit from childhood, and maybe leaving them on isn't as rude as I originally thought.

Wow, this has sure made me think about a lot....

And since family is so large I could not afford gifts that weren't home made. So I do buy yarns and material on clearance or sale (even when I don't need it right then), isn't that

the same as buying ready made on clearance/sale?

I don't think so, unless your time, skill and love is also on clearance?

I don't think so, unless your time, skill and love is also on clearance?

It is, it was cleared by God for me to live another day to do it...and I can't take it with me when I go...:manyheart

I voted it doesn't matter. I have forgotten price tags before and have received gifts where some one else has forgotten them. I would consider it more rude for me to point it out. The best policy is to pretend you never seen it (and grin ruefully to yourself because how many times I have done the same thing?) :lol

Sore

exactly :yes

I think that it could be taken wrong, but really... I've done it before, and I've known plenty of gifts I've gotten that had the price tag on them. What about gift cards? I mean, we all love to get them, but they basically have the price on them lol. :)

Do what you can to remember, but I wouldn't stress about it. :)

Victoria

yes its rude, and tacky too. my granny would have had my HIDE if i left a tag on. it takes 2 seconds to take it off or scribble it out with a sharpie. if i recieve a gift with the tag on, i usually get annoyed thinking how LAZY someone would have to be to leave it on.

I voted that yes, it is rude to leave a price tag on an item, however even if you consciously try to remove price tags, there are times where you accidentally leave them on. For example: massive Christmas present wrapping!!! That's when I sometimes forget! I think also that the person who is receiving the gift should appreciate that you are giving them a gift in the first place and should appreciate the thought over the price value of an item. For example, if I make somebody a scarf out of $5 acrylic yarn and then give them something else that is expensive, I hope that they will still appreciate all of the time and care that went into the scarf that i made for them by hand. I guess that's my two cents! All in all, it happens, don't sweat it too much!:P

Archived