Is it rude?

Is it rude to leave the price/price stickers on a gift or swap item?  

204 members have voted

1. 1. Is it rude to leave the price/price stickers on a gift or swap item?

• Yes
    • No
    • Doesn't matter

I have a terrible habit of not removing price stickers when I send swap items or give items as gifts. Do you think it's rude to leave the stickers/price on? It isn't my intention to show the person, "Yep, that's right.. I spent that much," but I am not sure how it could be taken. :think What are your thoughts? :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesnt matter to me, but I would suppose that if a person doesnt know you and your personality then they might think that you were trying to show them what you spent.Sometimes they put them stickers on there so glued you cant get them off!!!!! then I just take a marker and go through it.

This says it pretty well -

pleasure treats are an expression of Respect, Care, Love, and other attitudes priceless (so, the traditional etiquette prohibits leaving price tags on gifts). Creativity is appreciated above expense. This is reflected in the proverb “Not the gift is what I value, but the giver’s love by you.”

I always feel ackward when I receive a gift with the price tag still on it . . . It's like the person is saying "see how much I spent on you". A gift is supposed to be without cost - and a price tag doesn't reflect that. I always wonder if they are keeping some sort of tally.

I don't think it's rude at all, if you just forget to remove it. Lord knows I am a great one at that! LoL It's true that there are some people who will leave the tags on to say, "See how much I spent?" That is tacky but if you just forget and the person who is on the receiving end is very understanding, then I don't think it's a problem.

Oops! I had a feeling it could be taken that way.. :blush And I'm not that kind of person...... in the very least. I will have to be more careful. It's just that often I don't even remember until the box is sealed or the gift is wrapped. Stores like Hobby Lobby put stickers all over everything.. drives me crazy!

I don't think it's rude, necessarily, but I think it's best to remove the stickers. It might make the recipient feel guilty if they couldn't afford to spend as much as you on your gift.

Oops! I had a feeling it could be taken that way.. :blush And I'm not that kind of person...... in the very least. I will have to be more careful. It's just that often I don't even remember until the box is sealed or the gift is wrapped. Stores like Hobby Lobby put stickers all over everything.. drives me crazy!

I've had to carefully unwrap bunches of presents because I forgot to take the tag off or didn't check. :)

Well it would certainly be rude if the price sticker said "CLEARANCE" in bold red letters! LOL

I don't think it's necessarily rude, especially if it's for a swap. Granted most crocheters typically know what a particular yarn costs, especially if they listed it on their preferences, but when you are swapping the recipient I think might need a little reassurance that you really did spend the minimum or greater. That $25 minimum adds up FAST and looks like so little...

I've had to carefully unwrap bunches of presents because I forgot to take the tag off or didn't check. :)

ME TOO!! LOL I hate when that happens! It also despends on who the recipient is. I would probably be extra careful if it was someone I didn't know well, or whom I knew would be offended... But like I said for swap partners... they probably know what the item cost already... so I don't think it's a big deal in that case.

All that said... will I be peeling price stickers? Probably... :hook

I was always taught that it was tacky to leave them on, not exactly rude, but a very bad idea. That said, no matter how careful I am, I have forgotten before. I personally wouldn't consider it rude unless the person consistently left them on. Though it's still not the best idea. :P

Ever try getting off the prices that are part of the plastic packaging? Not even a permanent marker will deal with those. I usually have to bust out the scissors on those...:lol

I voted it doesn't matter. I have forgotten price tags before and have received gifts where some one else has forgotten them. I would consider it more rude for me to point it out. The best policy is to pretend you never seen it (and grin ruefully to yourself because how many times I have done the same thing?) :lol

Sore

It's going to depend on the person...and the type of gift. IMHO I had an Aunt that took back every single gift I ever bought for her...and exchanged the item for one she liked more. In that situation, it would have helped to leave the sticker on. Since that time, I've never given her ANYTHING I haven't made. LOL Anyone else but her, I've ALWAYS removed the tags for. That's just the way I was taught.

I voted yes, if someone buys gifts and doesn't make the effort to peel off the stickers it seems like they just couldn't really be bothered about what they bought for you. I understand that sometimes the odd one slips through but it like not weaving ends in on finished projects to me! "here's the scarf you wanted, I didn't really want to do it so I left the threads dangling" kwim?

just my personal opinion though.

I was taught that it is tacky or rude to leave them on presents (don't know about swaps). I feel leaving them on creates the situation where either the giver could be bragging about how much they spent (possibly making the receiver feel bad for not being able to recipicate) or the giver possibly feeling guilty/uncomfortable for not spending more (and maybe the receiver feeling "so that's all I'm worth"). Gifts should not be about a number, but thoughtfulness and love. Now, I know that a lot of people just don't care anymore, but there are a few. So, I try to advoid attaching a number to my presents and just let the thought count. As to swaps, I think what a couple of other posters said makes sense. We all know what yarn costs and to be sure it's a fair exchange it's nice to know the price. Swaps aren't really gifts (are they?)...more like a trade. Anyway that's my two cents.

I don't know if it's necessarily rude or not...more like extremely tacky and in poor taste. Though, if your friends know you to be a little forgetful in that area, then I'm sure they'll overlook it. Though, like someone said above, it could go the other way and they say, "You ONLY spent that much on me?" when they see the sale tag. :) It's EXTREMELY rude if you re-gift something and leave the ORIGINAL CARD in your gift.....we got a wedding gift with a birthday card in it...the card was to the person who gave us the gift. DOH!

I feel strange if someone leaves the tag on, b/c usually they can spend more than I can.

I always try to take the tags off b/c I usually try to shop through the year and hit clearance sells and stuff like that. Its so much easier for us here that way.

It is rude if it is done intentionally. When I receive a gift with a price tag, I automatically assume it was an oversight, and don't fault the giver.

(unless it is my sister who does it on purpose when she gets a GREAT deal at an outlet or the PX - then she leaves the tag on to 'brag', in sisterly fun, that she got Product X at $5 instead of the retail of $30)

It's tacky. Period. There is no way to know most of the time who forgot and who did it on purpose, no matter what they say. Personally I think some who forget actually do it on purpose subconsciously especially if they are repeat offenders. It is saying look how much or how little I spent. It's because you either want to show off or you want to show how little you think of that person.

I agree with kookaloo_starr, you go to the trouble of weaving in ends, so why can't you look over the gift and get rid of the price tag?

I guess I don't think it's rude. Not even about Clearance stickers. But I'm a huge clearance shopper and hate spending full price on something. If I get something on clearance that means I can buy MORE to put towards a gift! I love that part of it!

Plus, I work in retail now and realize that many items are marked up OVER 50%!!! That's just plain ridiculous to me. I understand making money, but I refuse to buy unless it's marked down at least 25% now because of that.

exceptions: I think its really only rude if its deliberate -- accidentally is different. My MIL allways leaves the tags on everything and she also lets us know how much she spends on us. She actually complained when she heard about my second daughter because of how much more she would 'have to' spend. (No we are not dependant on her -- both parents are gainfully employed) However in some case where an expensive item is bought on clearance and the recipient could be embarrassed or uncomfortable if it had been at full price it can be a kindness. And its always a kindness IMO to include reciepts because it is like saying I hope you like and can use this but if not I understand and please feel free to find something else.....

I was raised no tags for any reason. I usually write on a small card or tag that if it is wrong size or not applicable to let me know and I would gladly exchange it. Most of my gifts are home made, so that can be touchy too. One year a hat I made for neighbor was not in a color combo she liked (although I had seen her in those colors before).

I remade hers completely, and made a new size for her hubby who said his wasn't long enough. I just kept repeating over and over, that God loves a cheerful giver, and smiled through it all.

Archived