Crocheted Cube - What to Put Inside?

LadyTwilyte

Question

8 answers to this question

You can get foam at fabric stores (like JoAnn's)... kind of like stuff that would be used for cusions. I think they might also sell giant cubes of the stuff. My mom made a cube thingy for my daughter with fleece and the foam cube was all in on piece. I have no idea how big you want to make your cube but my daughter's is probably 16-18 inches square.

Good Luck!

-B

For smaller cubes (hand size and smaller) you can tape cardboard pieces together in the size you need. Before adding the last piece of cardboard, stuff it with fiberfill.

It depends on the finished size of the cube.

I made one that was 9 inches on each side, so I bought 3-inch thick foam (like for cushions) and marked and cut it into 3 pieces, all 9-inch square.

I simply sandwiched them together and covered them with quilt batting; had to do a little bit of hand-sewing there to keep the quilt batting in place. (Cut one piece 9 inches x 36 to go around 4 sides, then cut 2 pieces 9 inches square for each of the remaining sides.) The quilt batting holds the foam in place.

Hope that helps.

I'd like to make a set of large "baby blocks" or cubes that display letters and/or numbers. I'd like to crochet each side of the cube a different color...and the letters/numbers in contrasting colors.

Should I try to find fiberfill cubes, maybe 9 x 9 or 12 x 12 and then crochet separate squares for each side? Then I would probably sew them onto or around the cube...but what makes the sides stay in place? I can see exactly what a I want in my head, but can't get it "translated" into words for a pattern.

Can anyone help me organize this project? Are there templates for these letters/numbers in the size of want? Does anyone know of a pattern for this kind of project? Thanks. Diane

This one's knitted, but might give you and idea:

http://home.howstuffworks.com/free-baby-toys-knitting-patterns2.htm

About half way down the page she has a blocks pattern.

http://www.crochetcabana.com/patterns.htm

I would cross-stitch the letters on.

Hope that helps!

Archived