Kids Blankets Needed for Victory Junction Gang Camp! WE DID IT AGAIN!! 108 BLANKETS DELIVERED TO THE VJGC! THANK YOU EVERYONE

sissie44

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would like to "step in" and answer some of these questions if I may. :) The ghans are going to be for children that are sick and going to the camp as a "respite". Any bright colors will work. The reason for the blue, green, yellow and red colors is that is how the rooms are decorated at the camp. Any bright, cheerful ghans are perfectly acceptable and highly appreciated by the camp. Any yarn can be used, but 100% acrylic is considered the normal as you may not want to use a wool or wool blend due to allergies so I'm going to say Red Heart, Simply Soft, Bernet are all perfectly fine. If you do use a blend (like Encore which is 70% acrylic and 30% wool), please mark your finished ghan with a decription of the yarn, so the camp coordinators know not to give to a child with an allergy. :) Also, because we are talking about children, the yarn should be machine washable and hopefully dryable. We don't want to cause undo stress on the caregiver on trying to figure out how to wash/dry the ghan.

The time frame for the first part of the challenge is the end of February for squares only, so the sew-ers have time to put ghans together before the meet-up at the camp in May. For finished ghans it should be sometime mid-april or so.

The challenge actually will be going through out 2009, so if the above time frame is too tight for you, there is still plenty of time to finish squares or ghans before the end of 2009.

Sissie: since we are "partners in crime", I went ahead and answered most of the questions....Beat me over the head if I stepped in it! LOL

This was great thank for answering all these questions My partner in crime :lol:lol

the deadline dates or squares in my hand by March 15th and the blankets by April 15th. for the first contest!!

can not beat you over the head we need your head so your eyes can see the crocheting you will be doing :lol:lol

UPDATE ON QUESTIONS!!

A slight correction Cindy. The 1st part of the challenge for prizes is for squares, finished afghans and RR. The prize drawing as stated is based on a point system for 1st place and a drawing for 2nd place. All items are to be sent to Sissie and post dated by March 10th. But please send as you make so she can start assembly. We will keep track of everything that is sent for the drawing. Thank you very much all for your help in this venture.

finished afghans and RR's are April 15th (tax day:eek)

squares are March 15th

I'm in! :yay I have a question, though....in addition to the 4 colors listed, is it alright if we use other colors, too? Just so long as they are "cheerful"?

I would like to know this, too. I feel a bit constrained with only just the 4 primary colors.

And I can't figure out the "camper unit" term. Does that mean that the afghans should be all the same color (i.e., just solid block(s) of one primary color)? :think

-Marzee

Stashbusting CAL: WTD: +2/YTD: 0

Silver medal for Stashbusting: 08/24/08

Shoot the Moon (-5) 11/02/08

I would like to know this, too. I feel a bit constrained with only just the 4 primary colors.

And I can't figure out the "camper unit" term. Does that mean that the afghans should be all the same color (i.e., just solid block(s) of one primary color)? :think

you can use any bright cheerful looking color. they were just asking for these colors to give you an Idea as to the Kid colors Like thinking about the coloring crayons. You can even use the bright looking Varagated yarns if you like.

Does this help? :manyheart

I guess my only question is this:

Do they have to be afghans put together with squares or RR? Can I make any pattern I choose, as long as I stick to the colors? The reason I ask is I have two really cute stripe patterns that I'd love to try out, and the colors are perfect for this.

you can use any bright cheerful looking color. they were just asking for these colors to give you an Idea as to the Kid colors Like thinking about the coloring crayons. You can even use the bright looking Varagated yarns if you like.

Does this help? :manyheart

Thanks Sissie!:)

I just read the very informative post #22 by cindybmw2004 and, comforted by your note here, I feel lots better. Maybe I can come up with another ghan. Looks like the lapghan size (36" X 48") will work. (Hmm...is this thread going to stay in Crochet for Charity or will it eventually migrate to Comfortghans?)

-Marzee

Stashbusting CAL: WTD: +2/YTD: 0

Shoot the Moon (-5) 11/02/08

Silver medal for Stashbusting: 08/24/08

I guess my only question is this:

Do they have to be afghans put together with squares or RR? Can I make any pattern I choose, as long as I stick to the colors? The reason I ask is I have two really cute stripe patterns that I'd love to try out, and the colors are perfect for this.

you can use any pattern you like if you are doing the whole afghan:)

thanks for helping:cheer

Thanks Sissie!:)

I just read the very informative post #23 by cindybmw2004 and, comforted by your note here, I feel lots better. Maybe I can come up with another ghan. Looks like the lapghan size (36" X 48") will work. (Hmm...is this thread going to stay in Crochet for Charity or will it eventually migrate to Comfortghans?)

-Marzee

we are going to stay right here so other can find us also;)

as for the sizes anything 35-40 inches wide by 45-50 inches long will work:)

it is great to see you here with us again:cheer:cheer

Is a big granny square blanket OK? I have on that I started for the seniors challenge, in bright, but never finished. Let me know

I would think if you can make it about 44 at lease it will be good:manyheart

thanks for helping out again this coming year:manyheart

Count me in on this one. I have snagged the button and will add it with a link to your blog Sissie. Also will use it as my avatar here.

oh goodie glade to see you here with us:manyheart

I am a Junior Villager and would love to contribute to the cause with an afghan. Am I allowed to participate or do I have to wait until my 30 day trail period is over :D. Each year our Church has teen camp for the less fortunate kids who can not take vacation or doesn't have as much as other kids - therefore I am all for donating my time with an afghan to make this cause a huge success. Just let me know if I can participate. Thanks.

Hi, Sissie and Carol:

I've decided to join the fun and make at least three afghans for the challenge. I've already started the first. I need to know about fringe on these afghans, as one of the patterns is self-fringing. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Okay, Count me in on this - I should be able to do at least 2 by May and another two for the end of the year. I love the primary colors and have a great fast pattern - I just need to measure it when I get home to see if it meets the guidelines! :cheer

Thanks for the opportunity to help.

Can you give me some details on the squares? I know I can help with squares but I am not sure I can put a ghan together. Here are my questions for you. what are prefered square sizes and patterns for them? I have a few skiens of RH in starbrights left over so I am good on colors. I can start on these in between other progects now and work on them full time after the holidays. Let me know about square sizes and patterns and I will start on them. Thanks!

Can you give me some details on the squares? I know I can help with squares but I am not sure I can put a ghan together. Here are my questions for you. what are prefered square sizes and patterns for them? I have a few skiens of RH in starbrights left over so I am good on colors. I can start on these in between other progects now and work on them full time after the holidays. Let me know about square sizes and patterns and I will start on them. Thanks!

In the first post, it says 6 and 12 inch squares. There is no pattern requirements, just no large holes.

Hope that helps, and I hope I didn't step on toes by answering.

I found a skein of RHSS Mexicana in my stash and have made 3 squares so far :D

:cheer:cheerway to go:cheer:cheer I love that colors also:)

Did Dreams of yarn answer all your questions? if not let me know and we will be able to help:manyheart

welcome to the group and thank you for helping us:hug

In the first post, it says 6 and 12 inch squares. There is no pattern requirements, just no large holes.

Hope that helps, and I hope I didn't step on toes by answering.

Nope no toe stepping here :lol can use all the help we can get even in answering questions:manyheart thank you for helping with this question:manyheart

:hiHi everybody! I'll be able to help out, too. I should be able to manage at least one blanket. :yes

now how did I know I could count on you?:manyheart:hug:hug

Hi, Sissie and Carol! Count me in for some squares. I still have Sissie's address from the Greek Games challenge. I haven't mailed that ghan to you yet, but I will and you can decide where to give it. :hook

now you quit drooling all over that afghan and get it to me :lol:lol

I am pleased to see you here with us again this coming year:manyheart

Check post number 22 in this thread. It gives all the info. Or you can click on the link in my blog and get the info. http://ghostbuildingalife.blogspot.com/

ohh thank you so much for adding us to your blog:manyheart:hug

Just checking in here so I don't miss any posts:hook

Good to see you judianne:yes you have a good weekend

I am a Junior Villager and would love to contribute to the cause with an afghan. Am I allowed to participate or do I have to wait until my 30 day trail period is over :D. Each year our Church has teen camp for the less fortunate kids who can not take vacation or doesn't have as much as other kids - therefore I am all for donating my time with an afghan to make this cause a huge success. Just let me know if I can participate. Thanks.

you are more than welcome to help us with this:manyheart this is great that you also help with other kids in your church:manyheart

welcome to the group I am pleased to have you here with us and helping us reach our goals this coming year:hug

Hi, Sissie and Carol:

I've decided to join the fun and make at least three afghans for the challenge. I've already started the first. I need to know about fringe on these afghans, as one of the patterns is self-fringing. Any thoughts? Thanks!

ok this is a question I am not sure on:think let me email the camp and see what they say on fringe and i will get back to you:yes

welcome to our group :cheer happy to have you with us and helping us to reach our goals:manyheart

Okay, Count me in on this - I should be able to do at least 2 by May and another two for the end of the year. I love the primary colors and have a great fast pattern - I just need to measure it when I get home to see if it meets the guidelines! :cheer

Thanks for the opportunity to help.

great glad to have you along with us and helping us to reach our goals and making kid feel loved and warm:yes:manyheart:hug

I went stash diving again and found some bright yellow and some Banana Berry variegated. Spent the last 2 days making squares. And plan on spending the weekend making them.....until I run out of bright colors :D

Archived