Kids Blankets Needed for Victory Junction Gang Camp! WE DID IT AGAIN!! 108 BLANKETS DELIVERED TO THE VJGC! THANK YOU EVERYONE

sissie44

Welcome everyone to our 2009 Charity Challenge :cheer:cheer:cheer

This year I would so love to deliver Blankets to the

"Victory Junction Gang Camp"

Victory Junction Gang opened in June 2004. The Camp is a year-round camp that serves children, ages 6 to 16, with a variety of health issues. During the summer, the Camp offers week-long, disease-specific sessions with up to 128 kids per session. During the fall, winter and spring, family weekends are offered with 32 families per weekend. no child or family has to incur the cost of attending Victory Junction. The children served at Victory Junction are not able to attend normal summer camps due to their unique medical needs.

Each camper at Victory Junction takes home a hand-made afghan as a souvenir from camp.

• we will be doing 6" & 12" Squares. (This will be a great one for the ladies that love doing the basic 6" granny square)

• The afghans should be knitted or crocheted with bright, cheerful colors! Our camper unit colors are blue, green, yellow and red and are great choices for afghans! any of the Bright cheerful colors:)
  • There are no specific design requirements, you can be as creative as you like!(PLEASE!! NO BIG HOLES!)
  • The afghans should be 35-40 inches wide by 45-50 inches long. you can add fringe if you like:)
  • Round Ripples should be 45 -48 inches across

In addition to an afghan, each camper will also receive a hand-made camp teddy bear or a Vic the Horse mascot.

Here is the link for all you need to know about the camp:

http://www.victoryjunction.org/donate/sewing_program.php

This is a Project that is not really known about to much outside of the NASCAR Family! SO I really do hope and Pray that this will help them and also help get the word out to such a great place that really helps the kids have a great and safe vacation in their life's!! :manyheart

As in 2008 I will have my friend Sandy here in town helping me with all the picture taking, sewing and storing again (think I need to tell her?:devil:rofl:rofl) or surprise her :eek:eek :lol:lol

we will be sending everything to me (pm for my mailing address please)

Carol "armymom451" & her Hubby will be going to VJGC in June. sandy & I will be taking everything down and will get to meet her at the camp:yes:yes

so are we up for this challenge? will you all come along with me again in 2009? and lets show everyone what a great Bunch of crocheters & knitters we have here at Crochetville!!! :manyheart:manyheart

POST #3 has our Team Button for anyone that would like to use it here or on your blogs! Thank you Tammy "teakaycee" for making the button for us:manyheart

UPDATE ON MAY 28TH!!

Sandy & I will be going down to the camp on June 20th 2009!

to deliver the blankets!

this will be my only drop this year. if you wish to make more blankets you can mail right to the camp.

i do want to thank everyone that has help us to reach our goal this year!! If I am up to it I might try to do another Charity Goal for 2010:yes we will see :manyheart

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Sissie!

I am a huge NASCAR fan (have been for many many years) and the VJGC is a fantastic place. I would be honored to join in and help make the children ghans.

I will start off making squares, then once the holidays are over, I see RR's in my future for this project.

Time to go stash diving and see what colors I have on hand.

This is a great charity project :clap:clap

Okay kids........... after fighting with my internet conection for TOO Long! I finally got all uploaded and ready to share.

Here is the avatar/button for anyone that wants to use it in support of this wonderful cause.

th_VJGCAvatar2009.jpg

:heart

:mug

you know you can count on my help

last weekend I had my hubby drive me all over to find just the standard colors,Darn Michael's had a sale but did they have the basic colors,Nooooooooooo

So they are set aside just for this project.

I really want to help but I'm a little stupped on how this works.Do I make the afhgan or just squares?

Either way. You can make the squares and send them in, then they will be put together. Or you can make an afghan and send it in.

ok Sissie, I want in.....

:cheer:cheer:clapI have reached my goal in ghans for the nursing home, :clap:cheer:cheerso I will start helping you out. :)

Are we only using The Simply Brights in those 4 colors? Or can we use anything as long as it is cheery?

Let us know. I think RR's are in my future...................:D

I would like to "step in" and answer some of these questions if I may. :) The ghans are going to be for children that are sick and going to the camp as a "respite". Any bright colors will work. The reason for the blue, green, yellow and red colors is that is how the rooms are decorated at the camp. Any bright, cheerful ghans are perfectly acceptable and highly appreciated by the camp. Any yarn can be used, but 100% acrylic is considered the normal as you may not want to use a wool or wool blend due to allergies so I'm going to say Red Heart, Simply Soft, Bernet are all perfectly fine. If you do use a blend (like Encore which is 70% acrylic and 30% wool), please mark your finished ghan with a decription of the yarn, so the camp coordinators know not to give to a child with an allergy. :) Also, because we are talking about children, the yarn should be machine washable and hopefully dryable. We don't want to cause undo stress on the caregiver on trying to figure out how to wash/dry the ghan.

The time frame for the first part of the challenge is the end of February for squares only, so the sew-ers have time to put ghans together before the meet-up at the camp in May. For finished ghans it should be sometime mid-april or so.

The challenge actually will be going through out 2009, so if the above time frame is too tight for you, there is still plenty of time to finish squares or ghans before the end of 2009.

Sissie: since we are "partners in crime", I went ahead and answered most of the questions....Beat me over the head if I stepped in it! LOL

I think I can get at least one RR done. My secret pal Cluless gifted me some Caron SS in brites so those'll be perfect for this. I am not setting a deadline for myself until after some other obligations are taken care

Joyce

I think I can get at least one RR done. My secret pal Cluless gifted me some Caron SS in brites so those'll be perfect for this. I am not setting a deadline for myself until after some other obligations are taken care

Joyce

That's why I was asking about using other colors, too. I received some really pretty colors from my "fuzzy yarn swap" partner. They'll make some great afghans! :hook

Archived