First Felting Project in washer

craftimama

Well, I finished making a Booga Bag today and right now it's making its first trip through the washing machine. I'm sorta nervous because I don't know how it's going to come out.

I made the bag from Noro Kureyon yarn in pretty shades of blue, teal and purple.

I have taken a peek into the washer, and it looks like the dye is bleeding a bit, but not too bad. I didn't have a pillowcase with a zipper in it, so I used rubber bands to hold the bag shut. So far, so good.

Not sure how many washings it's going to take to be finished, but I'm taking pictures to put on my blog.

It's like a woman's first baby where you take photos of everything....lol.

It's nearly itno the first rinse cycle.....pretty soon I will be able to open the bag and see what one wash did to it. ***Crossing Fingers***

Hugs! Juli

Juli, did you knit the booga or crochet it? I'm making a bag today that was originally going to be a booga but I then decided to make my own design. I'll post pictures when it's done. It's turning out really cute but taking forever because it's going to be a big bag even after felting. You'll understand when I'm done & show the pictures.

Can't wait to see your Booga. I don't know if I like the pattern more than the name or the name more than the pattern. :rofl

Cheryl, I knitted mine, but it wouldn't be hard to make the same sort of design in crochet. I like the pattern because it works up so fast. I just started the bag on Tuesday, and had it done this afternoon. And I only got to work on it during the baby's naps, while watching television, or for a bit after the baby went to bed at night.

It has finished it's first round in the washer -- so far it looks really good. The I-cord handles really look great -- they will be nice and thick. After one wash, the purse had fuzzed up somewhat, but the stitches were still visible. It's back in the washer for #2 right now.

Mary -- what yarn and colors are you using for your bag??

My husband and I are going to play a boardgame to keep me from peeking into the washer every five seconds. :)) I don't think I would anyway, because the laundry room smells like a wet sheep. lol

Hugs! Juli

I think it came out great! Now I can say without a doubt that Noro Kureyon felts wonderfully! It did bleed a little bit of dye in the first wash, but nothing major.

I took pictures through the whole process, and I will be posting them to my blog as soon as the purse is dry.

How long does it take a felted project to dry? It feels dry on the outside. I formed it over a baby wipe box and an old PC speaker --- the trashcan I wanted to use was too large, so I had to use what I could find. I put it up on a table under the ceiling fan for the night.

The Booga Bag pattern says it can take 3 days to dry??? My bag feels pretty dry to me already......do I need to leave it longer??

It depends on the humidity and temp in your house. I have been known to put my bags and hats outside under shade and let the heat dry them faster. I have had somethings dry in a day and others take several days to fully dry. I don't think there is any tried and true formula.

The purse is all done, and the photos I took are up on my blog! I just love it! I'm going to make a coin purse to match with the Noro yarn that I have left over.

hugs! juli

Archived