Two questions on Charity

In the next few months, I will be starting a Charity project for the American Heart Association. It is something near and dear to my heart, since my father has heart disease...is it okay to post it here? Like what I would like to do and why? I know alot of people post already established charities...but this is just something "on my mind" that I would like to do.

And finally, does anyone know of a good charity to donate kids hats? In the coming weeks I'm working on a few patterns for kids hats and I don't sell my work...I would rather donate them. There are so many charities out there, I'm not really sure what the need is. Since we are military, we have always given to military related charities, i.e. Fisher House....but now we are stateside we would like to open our hearts and hands to other ones as well.

Any ideas would be wonderful :)

Donna

My first thought on donating childrens hats to charity is to

give to a childrens hospital for chemo patients.

Ronald McDonald house is always a good choice

or an oncologist office that treats children.

donna Iknow you have had a lot of responses all ready but I would like to ask you to consider sending your hats to the Blankets for Babies Project. Every year there are young childen, babies and elders that literally freeze to death because there is no heat no electricity, and no running water in the homesl Pine Ridge is the poorest reservation in the United States and is located in SD there is a tread called blankets for babies here if you would like to know more or feel free to contact me

Pamela:think

I think it's fine to post any new charity ideas.

Yes, there are a lot going on already, but different people will be motivated by different causes. Also we have new people all the time that may be looking for something as well as people's obligations change/free up at different times.

Doing anything charitable is good, I don't think we can have too much:manyheart

Holly

My grandmother used to knit hats and mittens and donate them to the area schools. The kids used to call her "Memere Knitty"...lol! I know the schools used to be thrilled here to get them...lost of kids didn't have any and a lot went into holiday baskets for needy families.

You've already gotten some great suggestions, but I thought I'd throw one more out there...

This is a school for homeless children; they have to feed and clothe the kids in addition to teaching them, I'm sure they would be grateful for any hats that you could send.

I am hoping to do some things up for them later this year for the new school year.

The TJ Pappas School

Good for you wanting to donate the hats! :clap Wherever you decide to send them I am sure they will be loved and appreciated.

hugs

Ro

I have one suggestion, I thought about St. Judes Hospital. Danny Thomas founded this hospital many years ago to help children with Cancer. Surely some of those children would love a hat to cover their heads.

http://www.stjude.org/

Thanks for the replies..I have several charities that I'm looking into now for hats :) I'm very excited!

I will not send hats to St. Jude, although I thank you for the reply. I am from Memphis and I know the overwhelming amount of donations they receive and I really want to focus on someone who "needs" them. I remember one year my Rainbow group wanted to do something for them and they told us too many people had the same idea..so instead we helped a Nursing Home and raised money for an ice machine for the Ronald McDonald house. I am NOT saying St. Jude is not a worth cause at ALL..just saying alot of people know about that hospital and are already helping :)

Thanks...I can't wait to get started on hats!

Donna

Hi Donna,

I too became interested about starting to crochet for charity. I had never even heard about crocheting afghans, chemo caps, etc. for charity. Can you belive that??? I have been crocheting on and off for over 30 years. But, all of a sudden I started seeing alot of websites that use their skills and put there hands to better use. I just recently, matter of fact, just 2 weeks ago, organized a group which I call Helping Hands in TN. Wow, we have only been up and running for 2 weeks now and already have 11 members. I never dreamed that there would be so many lovely, caring people that would contact me asking to join the group. We are currently working on afghans and baby booties that we are going to donate to St Jude Children's Hospital in Memphis, TN.

This has been THE MOST rewarding experience that I have ever been involved in. I just wish that I had done this years ago. I am spending every spare minute that I can find with my needle and yarn, and loving every minute of it.

I hope that your group, when you get it organized, will take off as quickly as mine has. It is definately time and money well spent to let these beautiful children know that someone cares.

Good luck,

Betty in TN

DO YOU LOVE TO CROCHET FOR CHARITY???

We are a loving, caring group of people who put our hands to use making crocheted items to donate to hospitals, cancer clinics, nursing homes and needy families. If you would like to lend a helping hand for charity, come on by and check us out. We would love to have you.

HELPING HANDS OF TN

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HelpingHandsofTN/

Hi you had asked for more inforamtion about Pine Ridge and their needs I will try to supply some here. I am in volved with the sponsorship program so will tell you a little about that as well

Life is particularly difficult on the Pine Ridge Reservation. Food and Heat are often in short supply. In this population of 40,000 people, children wear boots for shoes in summer time and summer clothes in the winter. They are often without winter coats and too often also without food. Most families will have periods of time when they are without heat or electricity and, even more difficult, periods when they must go without food. Spirit Rising works to supplement these basic needs. Food stamps or commodities run out and there are no food banks or other food resources for those without income - and those without income are many. After school programs have seen a dramatic rise in the number of children attending their programs to take advantage of the snacks offered. It will be the only food they have for dinner.

A typical family waiting for sponsors for the children is a mother and son who live without electricity or running water and often find the basics of food and clothing in short supply. Another family is a grandmother who is caring for 4 grandchildren and two teenage daughters. They often do nothave electricity and water but are often without needed food and clothing. While sponsors are certainly not expected to meet urgent family needs, the sponsorship is one part of our holistic approach for helping families be strong for their children. Sponsors help protect the children from the harsh effects of poverty and Spirit Rising makes every effort to help the family meet basic needs.

We have a waiting list of more than 500 children who live in situations similar to the ones described above. Grandmothers caring for many grandchildren left in their care by parents who have no place to live and no means of supporting the children. Families of 10-20 members who live in 3 bedroom homes that do not have adequate insulation from the cold and that do have extensive black mold problems that leave both children and adults with respiratory problems.

These are proud and independent people who live their traditional spiritual and cultural beliefs and who live in desperate poverty (yes right here in the US). The sponsors and Spirit Rising are making a difference for the children and families of Pine Ridge.

The sposnsorship program is unique in that you work directly with the family you are not allowed to send monies, all physical objects such as school supplie and clothing Contributions to the children/families are tax deductible.-

Because there are so many children waiting for sponsors this year the "Chain Gang" my special needs crochet group and I are tryiing to help even more by putting together the Blankets for Babies project, the children and elders may not have sponsors but perhaps we can make sure we lose no one from the cold. Pamela

pamela, i can make and send some stuff for the people on pine ridge reservation. i have a lot of hats already made, and scarfs and stuff, think they would like those? also can make a few blankets for the babies, at least one i know i can do, and will do more if i can. pm me and let me know what i can do to help. bless you for caring about all of these poor people. i think it is so sad, the us took their land, stuck them on reservations and left them to fare for themselves, i have always thought it was wrong, and no i am not native american, i am italian, but still feel it is wrong to do this to such noble proud people. the u.s needs to take care of our people too, not just overseas. poverty in this country is very bad, almost as bad as some third world countrys, breaks my heart to see the people suffer and be cold and go hungry. every year i make and donate hats and scarfs to the police department and they give them to homeless people. my boss's son is a deputy sherrif and he always is happy to take the things i make if no one else is. i think we as artists have a obligation to help others, if at all possible, some people can't afford it, but i am more than happy to send yarn to someone wanting to make something for charity, so if ya need some and promise to use it for charity pm me and let me know. o.k off my:soap :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol vicki

Donna,

I was a rainbow girl too! PWA Geneseo, IL. Went to Grand several times, but only got as far as the choir. The Mom in the family that sponsored me made her daughter a mile a minute afghan using the rainbow colors in the "right" order. I lived with them my senior year in high school after my parents moved to Arkansas so I could finish up north. She made some beautiful things. Her name was Donna too! There's a lodge right up the road from us but I don't have the male relative and my hubby isn't a joiner for that kind of thing. Seeing your post brought back some memories.

Vicki that would be wonderful - I am driving to Pine Ridge it is 12-14 hours from here, but I am originally from SD and my stster lives about 1/2 of the way so the kids and I willstay the night with her and go on from there, I will take lots of pictures for everyone, and post them here. You can send yarn to

Blankets for Pine Ridge

6922 East Fish Lake Road

Maple Grove, MN 55369

and you can contact Spirit Rising if you need an in-kind tax receipt as they are a 501c3. I have some women from the seniors group her knitting and crocheting away and they are on such limited budget this would be terrefic!

Pamela

Archived