Granny Star Afghan New Pictures post #1

samijofitz

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could someone please explain to me how to work the fourth round on the Granny Star Afghan. I've racked my brain trying to figure it out.

My suggestion would be to

sk 2dc, Cluster in space between dc, cluster between each cluster sk 2dc and cluster between dc. This puts a 2dc group with 2 dc on each side. You might want to PM sammijo to ask her though.

Click on her name to get a PM option. PM=Personal Message.

Sorry, I hadn't had a chance to check on this until today...round 4 should read:

Slip stitch to next chain 3 space, chain 3(counts as first dc), (3dc, chain 3, 4 dc) in same space, *skip 2 dc, cluster in space between dc, cluster in space between clusters to next chain 3 space, shell in chain 3 space, repeat from * around, join with slip stitch to beginning chain 3.

Sorry for the mistake and the confusion it brought. I will update the pattern in the first post as well.

• 2 months later...
Sorry, I hadn't had a chance to check on this until today...round 4 should read:

Slip stitch to next chain 3 space, chain 3(counts as first dc), (3dc, chain 3, 4 dc) in same space, *skip 2 dc, cluster in space between dc, cluster in space between clusters to next chain 3 space, shell in chain 3 space, repeat from * around, join with slip stitch to beginning chain 3.

Sorry for the mistake and the confusion it brought. I will update the pattern in the first post as well.

Sami,

I too have been struggling to get this round 4 complete. Could you please count the number of DC on one side of the star. Should there be 12 or 14 DC? I see different pictures and not sure. Many people over at Ravelry have different shapes and I'm confused. A closeup picture of the center would be so helpful.

Here is my last attempt. I have 14 DCs on each side of the star. Is this correct? You can click on photo to supersize it.

post-10977-135897499971_thumb.jpg

Thank you for your help.

Cindy

I know that there have been some questions on this, sorry it's taken me so long to get to going over it and trying to help. I am right now creating an updated version of the pattern with pictures of each round. I will be making it into a pdf for easy printing, and it will be available here and on Ravelry. (Is there a way to upload a pdf directly to the 'Ville?)

I know that there have been some questions on this, sorry it's taken me so long to get to going over it and trying to help. I am right now creating an updated version of the pattern with pictures of each round. I will be making it into a pdf for easy printing, and it will be available here and on Ravelry. (Is there a way to upload a pdf directly to the 'Ville?)

Members can currently upload only graphics files (jpg, gif, png).

However, if you'd like to include a pdf file, you can email it to me. I can add it to the thread for you.

• 7 months later...

I've been working on this and i've gotten 13 rounds done but my star looks wobbly and wont lay flat. I've tried stretching to get it to lay flat but no dice. :( any suggestions?

For most round ripples, you need to do fewer increases on every 3rd or 4th round. Is it cupping or getting ruffled?

I would suggest that you contact Aggie May as she is an expert at this stuff. she is also very friendly and helpful.

You can also post this question in the crochet help section if nothing better happens here.

For most round ripples, you need to do fewer increases on every 3rd or 4th round. Is it cupping or getting ruffled?

I would suggest that you contact Aggie May as she is an expert at this stuff. she is also very friendly and helpful.

You can also post this question in the crochet help section if nothing better happens here.

It's getting kind of ruffled. like the arms of the star don't want to lay flat because there is too much going on between the arms. I'll drop this Aggie May person a line. Thanks ^__^

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I did my rnd 4 a little different and i love the results. It defines the star I do like an increase and decrease like a regular ripple. I increase like you do at the mountian. And decrease in the valley by skipping two cluster sets. I just love this afghan. I did one a while back in blue and white I think I have to find the pic. I am currently working on one in Bernat baby jacquards - berries and cream. Turning out very pretty. This is one of my favorite patterns for a baby blanket. I don't have problems with it curling it lays flat. Thanks again for sharing this pattern I see lots of members love it as much as I do.:cheer

Granny Star Afghan

Materials: I used Red Heart Super Saver, 1 skein each contrasting color (blue & green), 2 skeins main color (white). Size J hook

Stitches Used: DC – double crochet Cluster – 2 dc in specified stitch or space Shell – (4 dc, ch 3, 4 dc) in specified stitch or space.

With main color, chain 5, join with slip stitch to form a circle, chain 3 (counts as first dc), 2 dc, ch 3. (3 dc. Ch 3) 4 more times, join with slip stitch to beginning chain 3.

Slip stitch to next chain 3 space, chain 3 (counts as first dc), (3 dc, chain 3, 4 dc) in same space. Shell in each space around, join with a slip stitch to beginning chain 3.

Slip stitch to next chain 3 space, chain 3 (counts as first dc), (3 dc, chain 3 4 dc) in same space, * skip 2 dc, cluster in the next, skip 2 dc, cluster in the next, Shell in chain 3 space, repeat from * around, join to top of beginning chain 3.

Slip stitch to next chain 3 space, chain 3 (counts as first dc), (3 dc, chain 3, 4 dc) in same space, *skip 2 dc, cluster in space between dcs, cluster in space between clusters, until you get to the chain 3 space, Shell in chain 3 space, repeat from * around, join with slip stitch to beginning chain 3.

Continue work following the last rounds directions, increasing clusters between shells on each row. For the edging I just did a round of single crochet working 3 sc in the middle chain of each shell’s chain 3 spaces.

I do recall having to shape the afghan as I went, probably because I crochet a bit tight, but it worked out in the end.

You may use this pattern to make items for personal or charitable use; you may also sell items you make from this pattern. Please do not sell the pattern, or claim it as your own.

Sami Jo Fitzgerald September, 2008

• 1 year later...

Archived