Not so good at the thread

sOCKsgirl

I bought myself a spool of thread, a size 6 steel hook and the Leisure Arts 99 Snowflakes book because I really wanted some crochet snowflakes to hang on my christmas tree.

Then I actually tried to make them. I made the first snowflake, the most simple one, and it looks awful. I didn't block it because I wanted to make a few and block them all at once, I can't even finish the second snowflake in the book. They are just way too small and I have the most clumsy fingers.

I think I will be sticking with yarn.

-Shannon

I hope you won't give up! Crocheting with thread feels totally different than yarn. It takes some getting used to. (For me it was the opposite, I crocheted with thread first and yarn felt clumsy.)

Just a tip: when you're crocheting something like thread snowflakes, you need to "seat" the stitches to get the shape you want. Don't be afraid to give your work a good hard TUG in all directions. Thread is not as forgiving as yarn so even tension is very important. It gets easier with practice and is a lot of fun once you get used to it.

Don't give up, I had the same problem. Practice with a larger thread if you have to. I love working with size 10 thread now. I had so much encouragement from Kathy (Katchkan) on here also. Once you get use to it, you will love it. It opens up a whole new world of crochet.

You might think of trying a size 5 thead and size 4 hook. Should still give the delicate look of thread but be a little easier to work. Is your tension too loose? If so try a smaller hook size.

You might also be very surprised at how much blocking improves the looks of your snowflake. Blocking is almost essential to any good thread work. I have had things I hated until I blocked them.

Please don't give up. I make tons of snowflakes and it's just a matter of practicing a little more. I can't tell you how many I frogged before I got them right. Katchkan is 100% correct. Most of my snowflakes look like gobbily goop until they are starched and blocked.

Thread is wonderful, the only tricky part to it is to get the tension right. I have crocheting with thread for more years than I would like to admit and when I have been working with yarn for a while, I have to admit that it takes a little bit for me to get back to the correct tension with the thread.

Hang in there and give it a bit more of a chance. Thread is really fun and there are so many things you can make with it.

LOL,

Toni

Yes, the tension is different for thread. Shannon, if you would really like some snowflakes (and to learn thread) consider the first couple or three snowflakes as your Thread School. Pretend you are in Thread Kindergarten until you get that tension down. If you let your mind and your hands become accustomed to working with these smaller tools, it will become automatic. After all, wasn't yarn awkward and difficult when you first learned to crochet? Well, this is much like that, only you already know your stitches!

Those little snowflakes can be difficult at first, especially if you are new to thread. Perhaps a practice granny square or little round ripple might help you get used to working with the thread. They are more solid and easier to hold on to. My daughter loves the little thread round ripples as face scrubby cloths.

I started crocheting with yarn and then decided I wanted to try making doilies with the thread. Switching back and forth really throws me off, but I find after a little while you get used to it. I've also found I have to change the way I hold the yarn and hook when I switch to thread. Maybe you could experiment with that and find a way to keep going with the thread? Don't give up though, it takes a lot of practice to figure it out.... and believe me, I haven't been crocheting that long so I still need a lot more practice to get things to come out satisfactory for me!

• 3 weeks later...

So I went back and tried the thread again because I REALLY want to make the snowflakes.

This time I got aunt lydia's size 5 crochet thread silver with the metallic strand in it. Now it is SO much easier! The snowflakes are stiffer and easier to hold on to because they are coming out bigger. I am still using the same size 6 hook which seems a little small for the size 5 thread but it's the biggest steel hook I have and I really wanted to keep making the snowflakes.

I made snowflake #1 and #2 last night and started #3 I can't wait to get home from work and keep crocheting! Maybe I will make one for each of my coworkers for Christmas.

When I have a bunch of them made and I go to block them I think I might use mod podge sparkle. I had no idea there were so many kinds of mod podge but at michael's craft store when I went to the isle with all the glue and fabric stiffeners there were at least 6 different kinds! Anyway this mod podge has glitter built right in so not only will they be silver metallic but they will also be glittery!

Thanks everyone for your encouragement making sure I didn't post the book and thread on craigs list!

-Shannon

Archived