1980s? Santa Stocking Pattern

Cocoa Cream

Question

Have you ever seen a pattern for a crocheted santa stocking like this? (click for larger image)

th_IMG_3047.jpg

I'm actually hoping that you will say "No!" because if not, I'd like to write down my own version of this and add it to the free patterns on my blog. I did a brief google search, and I looked at CPC, and didn't find anything...but I know this is an older design, so I thought I'd ask the broader crocheting community and see if anyone has seen this kind of santa stocking pattern in print.

A bit of history, if you like: the stocking pictured was given to me on my first Christmas, by a great-aunt who has now passed on. She made very similar ones for my dad and mom, then for my brother when he was born. When my husband and I married, my mother had another family member crochet him a stocking to match ours. And now my brother has married, so I'm making his new wife a stocking, too! In the process, I've been writing down the schematics and would like to publish the finished pattern on my blog's pattern page, once I've tweeked it a bit. If a pattern already exists, though, I wouldn't want to infringe on anybody's creative rights. I just want to have this little piece of my family's Christmas traditions in writing, if possible, so it won't be lost for future generations! :santa

15 answers to this question

I haven't, and if you write it, I would love it. It's time to crochet a stocking for my new grandson. I made my granddaughter a stocking a couple years ago. This would be something different and fun.

I've never seen anything like that and would love to have a pattern for it. This is where I get confused with copyright laws. If you write up your own pattern without ever having seen the original pattern, it's obviously 100% from your head and all yours, no? So if I see a scarf in Macy's for $55 and I say to myself "I can make that" and I do, I'll break copyright laws? Eh, ya know what? Forget it. The less I know about this the better. :lol Seems like everyone makes up their very own copyright laws anyway so there's really no standard to follow.

I'm not sure it's actually breaking copyright laws, but I just didn't want to be copying someone else's work. I probably will write up a pattern anyway because I'm making some pretty major modifications, but if the original was based on a pattern, I wanted to be able to note that when I post my own.

Cocoa Cream - I have 2 stockings that are almost identical to yours. Only difference is instead of a name, mine have Noel across the top . The pattern is from Family Circle, 12/13/77. Title of article is "Christmas Stockings to Knit and Crochet", 3 stockings, 2 to crochet, 1 to knit. We are still using ours (they look like new) as we always have extra people at Christmas. Actually I just remembered...oldest DD has been using one the last couple of years as she's misplaced hers. Guess i should change the "Noel" to her "name".:lol Jan.

Edited to add: Can't see why you can't write your own pattern, it's pretty straight forward. You could just say it was based on an old patt. from Family Circle.

Wow! I'm impressed! You knew the exact date, title and everything! I asked this same question over at Ravelry, and a lady there thought it was from a magazine, but she wasn't sure which one or when. Thanks for the info...now I can decided whether to write up my own version or just keep my notes for future reference.

Cocoa, you made me laugh, like i'm so organized!:lol Actually, you made me think - my pattern is torn right out of that magazine, and it's falling apart. Going to copy it right now, so I will have a readable file for the future.:yes Jan.

Aaaaahhhhh! I think this is the pattern I've been looking for, too! My Mom crocheted them for me and my brother in 1978, but they were lost in a move. Thank you so much, Jan2. Off to E-bay I go!

As promised, here's the pattern I created on my own by looking at the old stocking I had. My version looks similar, but it obviously is quite different stitch-wise. It was quite challenging to come up with my own pattern for an existing object...very good for the brain!

http://cocoacream.wordpress.com/pattern-place/santa-stocking/

P.S.--This pattern is my own work. It was not copied in any way from the original, which I have never seen. I simply used various stockings in my family's collection as a basis for the appearance of the final product.

Hi Cocoa Cream! You did a great job with your version of the stocking!! It was very nice of you to share it with us. I did finally manage to locate the original (ah, inter-library-loan abuse . . . ) and Jan2 was correct about where it came from. You guys are great! THANKS!!

limbrarian, can you tell me how you found the pattern? I've been looking everywhere for this pattern as I made one for my daughter 30 years ago and now would like to make one for my granddaughter. Sadly my daughter lost her stocking a couple of years ago so I can't use it to go by (grrrr!).

limbrarian, can you tell me how you found the pattern? I've been looking everywhere for this pattern as I made one for my daughter 30 years ago and now would like to make one for my granddaughter. Sadly my daughter lost her stocking a couple of years ago so I can't use it to go by (grrrr!).

The original pattern appeared in an issue of Family Circle dated 12/13/77. I did find one copy of it on ebay but was outbid with a ridiculously high bid. I'm thinking it was limbrarian that outbid me! :devil:lol

Not I, Craw. ;) I got my issue in a lot of several craft mags. I think I was the only bidder. As you can imagine, I was quite excited when the package arrived. But I was horrified to discover that the pattern had been partially ripped out! Fortunately, I work in an academic library, so I was able to request a copy through inter-library-loan for my, ahem, "research," ahem. . .

OK, you're off the hook limebrarian. :lol It was probably somebody else here as we were the ones talking about it at the time and knew how "valuable" it would be. ;) Would anybody be able to request a copy of that through library inter-loan? I mean, that's if they had one available. I wonder. I'm always in the library anyway, though not an academic one. It's a good question to ask.

Archived