What do you use to clean your crochet hooks

fc1123

ok my question is this how do you clean your crochet hooks I'm asking this question because I have aluminium hooks and arylic hooks and I'm not sure how to clean them I have used dish soap and water to clean them. Any other suggestions

I have those rubbing alcohol wipes... they come in a pop up like tub... I used them for my flutes as well - very convenient lil things! You can get them in amost pharmacy stores... I think we get them at Rite-Aid...

Wow...this is a thought that has never occurred to me. While I'm chronically using alcohol wipes on the phone, computer, mouse and the occasional doorknob, I have never washed a crochet hook or knitting needle. Perhaps it is time to put those alcohol wipes to that use. Thanks for the info!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, i never know that you should clean your crochet hook. I've only been crocheting for about 2 months. I have a question for the experts in this forum. i've been using only Clover Soft Grip crochet hook (2mm); it's yellow color, i think it's aluminium. However, part of the head has changed color (faded) & i can feel that it's dragging my thread. Is it supposed to last only this long? i've only made about 10 small -medium doilies using cotton thread.

Wow, i never know that you should clean your crochet hook. I've only been crocheting for about 2 months. I have a question for the experts in this forum. i've been using only Clover Soft Grip crochet hook (2mm); it's yellow color, i think it's aluminium. However, part of the head has changed color (faded) & i can feel that it's dragging my thread. Is it supposed to last only this long? i've only made about 10 small -medium doilies using cotton thread.

Rub all of the metal part with a block of undyed wax very well (either parafin, which can be found in the canning jar aisle of where you shop, or a white candle). Then rub the wax off with a soft rag (terry cloth or jersey knit cloth is good). Repeat steps one more time. This should help smooth the hook by 'polishing' it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Spit on a kleenex. If it was good enough for my kid's faces, it's good enough for my crochet hooks.:lol

Seriously, I really don't spit on my crochet hooks, I just couldn't resist the comic relief.:D

I love it! :rofl

Good 'ole soap and water works for me.

Waxed paper. Whenever my hooks start to stick I rub them down with waxed paper and they're better than new.

My big bright plastic hooks never slid well so I took my nail buffing cream and the white on the buffing block and smoothed them out. They're awesome now. I washed it off in soap and water - rubbed them down with wax paper and they're great!

• 1 year later...
Ive waxed a hook or two in my day, just to see if it would "glide" better. It did, but don't do this on a regular basis, guess I just don't think of it that often. I have used pledge, or favor when i did it before.

I have a real pretty embroidered make-up bag that's the size of a small pencil case. I just keep a piece of waxed paper in it so it's quick and easy to grab.

Waxed paper, scissors, measuring tape, a couple weaving needles poked thru the fabric on the side, stitch markers, etc - everything I need in one place so I can grab and go.

I have a real pretty embroidered make-up bag that's the size of a small pencil case. I just keep a piece of waxed paper in it so it's quick and easy to grab.

Waxed paper, scissors, measuring tape, a couple weaving needles poked thru the fabric on the side, stitch markers, etc - everything I need in one place so I can grab and go.

Well, that makes sense, so organized, lol I am wondering if Pledge comes in tiny aerosol cans?? he he he.

I wash my hooks with soap and water. In winter time this is good when colds/flu is running amok throughout the household. In Summertime it helps to clean the oils that sweat onto the hook from your hands. I also find that when you wash the hooks the yarn/thread seems to go smoothly on the hook.

Archived