Is it true at Michaels?

distinctives123

Ours moved the thread to another isle. I think it is a little smaller. I don't use a lot of thread, but it was a bummer not to be able to find dark brown for a project I wanted to make. Our Joanne's has a very limited supply of colors as well.

Last time I was at my Micheals they still had thread... My walmart also has some, but when I was at micheals looking for a lime green beads, I found some lime green thread and crocheted a necklace instead with a glass pendant I bought there (will post pics later), which makes it so convienent. I didn't have to try to look for some thread somewhere else.

Debbi

Well, just let me tell ya....I live an hour away from Michaels, and Walmart is downsizing and has basically no selection...so I ventured out to Michaels yesterday to get different things. I was not a happy customer when I left. They had Jiffy yarn on sale...only 3 colors in stock, and only 6 colors they carried. Not alot of RH selection, only Caron OnePounders in basic colors (white, navy, black, red) quite a bit of Vanna, Baby yarns, & Simply Soft. Some specialties too. Then I was looking for scrapbook templates/stencils - NONE. A recipe box to paint or wallpaper - NONE. No paper mache boxes, or those cardboard type boxes. Very disappointing to waste a 1/4 tank of gas on.

The other stuff I can order online, but yarn sometimes is a touch and feel purchase...you can't do that online unless you've done it in a store already...

Oh my! Now that I think about it, I can't recall seeing any thread when I went to the recently opened Michael's down here. Maybe I just can't remember but it's strange because I took my time looking at everything and do remember their ww cotton (Lily Sugar 'n Cream) and since I use thread I'd expect me to remember, especially which colors they had because W-M always only carries 6 or 7 colors of #10 and 4 of #3 and Joann's sometimes has even fewer, none different that I could buy... Will have to go over there soon to find out.

Someone mentioned online purchasing and that is great if one can afford it, however, for me and many others shipping charges make online purchases of yarn unaffordable.

Joann.com has a free shipping thingy you have to sign up for...i don't remember what the requirements were...i think you have to order 3 times, and then you qualify after you register for free shipping all the time after that.

Yes it hinders me too from other sites b/c of the shipping.

• 1 month later...

I went to Michael's recently with my DH and we were shocked. We had not been there in a couple months and it went from 6 aisles of yarn down to 2, and the 2 aisles were darn near empty as it was. It was awful. My husband, who could run into a fully naked group of shoppers and not notice, even looked around and wondered what the heck happened to all the yarn. What used to be yarn aisles was already filled with other goods, and the storage area from the top of the aisles to the roof that used to be yarn overstock was now empty. They definitely downsized and it was not good news for yarn crafts.

I too went to a Michael's locally and the yarn section was not as full as it used to be. I was very disappointed because some of the nicer yarns only had 1 or 2 skeins - not good if you want to make something bigger and needed more. The employees had a bad attitude- if it's there that's what we have. Noone went to the back storeroom to check for more.

As for thread - I am new to working with it, but wanted to purchase some for a bookmark "challenge" project. There was hardly any there !!!!! I did pick up some pretty purple thread, but not much choice.

Between Walmart and Michael's we are sinking fast !!!!! SO SAD to see homemade crafts go under. :cry

I started a post about Michael's is closing in Illinois. Anybody live in Matteson or Tinley Park, IL. Those stores are closing. I used to live near that area, but my mom and sister still do and my mom said my sister went and was having a going out of business sale and there's hardly anything left.

Carol:hook

I visited my local Michaels on Long Island, New York the other day. They had signs posted throughout the yarn section stating that to look for our new new yarn section coming in the spring. They definitely are clearing out some yarns and hopefully is to make room for new yarns.

I visited my local Michaels on Long Island, New York the other day. They had signs posted throughout the yarn section stating that to look for our new new yarn section coming in the spring. They definitely are clearing out some yarns and hopefully is to make room for new yarns.

I went to Micheals on Saturday and they had the same sign. They didn't have a lot, nothing on clearance. I don't know what they meant by the sign. I'm not sure if it meant their yarn section would be smaller or larger. With this discussion, I'm leary.

I guess I'll have to wait and see. I think with their prices higher then walmart (when wm had SS it was $1 more at Micheals... RH is about 50 cents more at Micheals) maybe they weren't getting the sales. Of course with wm not having SS, maybe Micheals sales in that will go up... not sure.

Of course I do have a WM across the street that has a pretty good yarn selection (more RH then ever before).

Debbi

When i went to Michaels yesterday, I expected the yarn section to be depleted from all the sales they've been having. But it was actually not that bad...They had almost all the vanna's stocked in all the colors they carry, jiffy, all the wools, the simply softs, baby yarns, and so on. The only empty bins were the fun furs, and fancy yarns like the ribbon yarn. And there were 2 employees putting up yarn stock, so its possible they were restocking those too. Walmart has a better selection of RHSS than they do though.

The Michael's near me is not real great for yarn either. In fact I don't even bother to go there anymore. Come to think of it there isn't any great store near me for yarn. WalMart is pathetic anymore - used to have alot, but now it's very slim pickins. Most of the time I just try to get enough online so that I get free shipping where I can.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived