Is it true at Michaels?

distinctives123

:eekI hope it was just an isolated incident. I was just at my local Michaels in Utica, MI and they still had thread. Not a ton, but a 3 foot wide or so section of shelves, maybe 10 shelves. (Better selection than the local Jo-ann.)

I have read online somehwere else that a Michales store had remodeled and rid of the crochet thread. I have not had a chance yet to get my local Michaels to check, but wondered if this IS happenning elsewhere. Let's hope not....:eek

That was probably my post about the Michaels in Denton, TX, which DID get rid of the crochet thread.

Froggie (aka Jana in Denton, TX)

Well, my feeling is that this is not an isolated incident at all! If Denton's Michael's is making changes to the yarn department, and from what I observed the entire store, then it's probably going to be happening across the chain.

The yarn selection has definitely been downsized in my local Michael's and I don't remember there being any thread at all!

Haven't seen any thread at mine, plenty of overpriced poor quality yarn though. The yarn section actually got bigger here and is crowded. However, the Michaels here is fixing to move to a bigger store, we'll see what happens then.

My local Michael's has never had a decent selection - I go to JoAnn's for most everything now, even though Michael's is about a mile closer. I go online when I'm going to buy a large amount and look for a good deal with free shipping.

Our Michael's just remodeled, and - no crochet thread. I was discussing my mixed feelings with one of the cashiers (more beads, but WAAY less yarn), and she said that even though our store sold a LOT of crochet thread, Michael's makes decisions about what to carry for the entire chain, and they've decided to stop carrying it.

Our Michaels here in PA has a VERY small amount of thread. Really lousy selection of yarn also.

The closest Joanne's or AC Moore is about 20 miles away from me, which really stinks with the price of gas!

I really wish we had a Hobby Lobby here. Not much of a selection anywhere so I pretty much am stuck ordering online.

Toni

Here in SE NY at our Michael's they've only ever had about a 3-4' wide 10 shelf(approx) section of threads... they haven't changed it in the 6 or years since it has been there - they're changed around the yarn secion but not taken anything away from it in size... there's a full aisle - both sides of it - with a plethera of boxes on the tops of the shelving units; also a section about 10' long along the outside wall at the end of that aisle... then there are 3 endcaps around the aisle full with yarns too... I feel lucky! I do go to JoAnn's in Danbury CT but the Michael's has a better selection as does the Michael's in Danbury too... I also have gone to a store called "Fabric Tree" which has some FANTASTIC specialty yarns, sock yarns etc...

I Hope they don't get rid of the threads down here!! I just went there last night and bought 5 balls of it!!

That was probably my post about the Michaels in Denton, TX, which DID get rid of the crochet thread.

Froggie (aka Jana in Denton, TX)

BTW Jana - I was in Michaels in Denton over the weekend - it was sad! I actually walked out with nothing! They had moved what little yarn they had in the front corner of the store and there was very little yarn period and not much space allocated for yarn. I don't know if when the remodel is done if the space will be bigger. Esther had called them and asked and the employee couldn't tell her much either. They said "I really couldn't tell you". So sad. I ended up finding something at Hobby Lobby but I didn't find everything I wanted. =( Very, very sad.

At the Michael's here in Indianapolis, they downsize the yarn in the summer and then increase the supply in the winter. Now since I crochet all year round that did not make a lot of sense to me but it is what it is! :yes

• 1 month later...

Archived