lisalu

My worst knitting mistake ever!

I can't believe I did this! :think

I am knitting a sweater for my first grandbaby. Sleeves are my least favorite thing to knit anyway and this is a complicated stitch pattern so all the increases have to be incorporated into the pattern which makes it even more tedious. And SEWING IN sleeves is also something I don't enjoy doing - another tedious job. Then when you're all done you have to knit ANOTHER sleeve, right?

Well anyway, I finished the first sleeve, sewed it into the sweater and something just didn't look right. The sleeve was bulkier and heavier than the body of the sweater. It looked awful with this big heavy sleeve hanging off the sweater. The texture of the stitches was totally different too. I wondered if it was because I used DPNs on the sleeve and got a different gauge but that wasn't it......

I USED DIFFERENT YARN FOR THE SLEEVE!

I had several balls of Plymouth Baby yarn in my stash. All of them are exactly the same color, and the ball bands look similar too. But some of them were DK weight and some of them were fingering weight. Since I started the sleeve with a new ball I didn't notice the difference. I spent two days making that sleeve and now I have to make TWO MORE!

Has anyone else ever done anything this stupid?

:hug No, but I have done things equally as stupid!!!

Try making your sleeves at the same time, it's less intimidating!

I work my sleeves on DPNs, I can't work them at the same time that way.

Hey, I'm glad I DIDN'T work them together or I would have made TWO wrong sleeves!!!!

:eek Wow, sorry that happened! At least you figured out what the problem was. I hope the two new sleeves will zip along quickly for you!

Sorry, I didn't catch that about the DPN's!

Geesh, you would have had two wrong sleeves, but then you could have made a "right" body & have had 2 sweaters :lol

OMGosh, bet you were sad. I agree with Shelby, I would save that sleeve and use it to make another one, lol. Yup, I have done many dumb things, ribbit!

I once cut a hole right through a baby sweater I had just finished, trying to pull out some ends that I had woven in too well. I managed to fix it, but I couldn't believe I had done that. No more shortcuts for me!

UPDATE: I finished the sleeves! By the time I got to the "third" one I knew that stitch pattern pretty darned well, I can tell you that.

Now I'm making the hood, then I'm done. Can't wait to post pics.

I can sympathize.

I was trying to make a pullover for my husband for Christmas. He even helped me pick out the pattern as he wanted PLAIN. So I looked it over very carefully (I thought) and cast on and went at making it in the round. So at the sleeve 'split' I split it in half and went back and forth. I did the back and then was almost done the front, when I realized that the number of stitches to cast off didn't add up correctly. There were 12 extra stitches unaccounted for. On looking more closely I realized that the same applied to the back! How could this be?!?

I investigated and searched for answers and it turned out the pattern missed putting in the part at the split that says "cast off 6 stitches at the beginning of the next two rows." I hadn't made a sweater in so long that I had forgotten that there's typically casting off there. :eek So I'll be frogging a whole lot of adult male sweater once I get my ball winder back so I don't end up with a tangled mass of yarn.

I recently finished crochet sleeves....and I did them both at the same time with the same hook switching after a count of 4 rows at a time. I knit sleeves simultaneously and I just wanted to be DONE with these crochet sleeves. I have yet to seam them into the garment, however. This is my "I am so over this project" project, and to finish it is going to take a whole lot more self-encouragement.

Sleeves can be the most tedious part of a garment - especially the second one! You feel like you're almost done, all you have left are the sleeves, but they go on and on.

I always knit my sleeves on DPNs. I don't like seams so I'm always looking for shortcuts, like a 3 needle bind off on the shoulders or sleeves worked in the round. But unless I set the sleeves up on two sets of DPNs I can't really work two at the same time so its a trade off there.

Oh, I finally finished the "three sleeved sweater" and I'm gonna post it as soon as I get a picture.

Oh, I finally finished the "three sleeved sweater" and I'm gonna post it as soon as I get a picture.

:eek lol I can't wait to see it. I think that's a great name for the sweater too!:devil